Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
seiche

Trivia game

Although the male star of a Broadway hit recreated his role in the screen adaptation, the female star of the movie was not happy about it because she desperately wanted to play opposite another actor.  That actor, however, was in failing health and was having trouble remembering his lines.

Name the movie and the 3 stars in question.

That is correct.  Although I really like John Barrymore and am sure he could have done the role if he had been in better health, I'm glad that Monty Woolley got to recreate his Broadway performance. 

You're up next, lav!  

Thanks Star  :)

This wonderful actor starred in films in the 1940's and 1950's. Surprisingly, he was a trained opera singer although he was not used in films as a singer. He was dubbed in one musical. He was in some very famous films and appeared in different genres. Actor, the musical he appeared in  and a few of his famous films ?????

Dana Andrews trained as an opera singer, but was dubbed in State Fair because the studio was unaware that he could sing.  Some of his famous films are The Ox-Bow Incident, Laura and The Best Years of Our Lives.

8 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Dana Andrews trained as an opera singer, but was dubbed in State Fair because the studio was unaware that he could sing.  Some of his famous films are The Ox-Bow Incident, Laura and The Best Years of Our Lives.

Exactly Star. He was such a talented an actor in all genres and he was classically trained as an Opera singer. when asked why he didn't make a fuss and let the studio know that he could sing in State Fair, he said that the guy who was used to dubb him probably needed the money more than he (Dana) did. He was a generous gentleman besides a handsome, talented actor. Good work Star, your thread :)

Much to my surprise: France's own Maurice Chevalier:

Gigi-- My favorite and this was the winner.

Nominated:

Fanny

One Hour With You

The Smiling Lieutenant

The Love Parade

Jeanette MacDonald.  She was in 4 movies that were nominated for Best Picture, but none of them won.  The nominated movies were The Love Parade, One Hour with You, Naughty Marietta and San Francisco

This legendary Hollywood movie star had a spectacular romantic life that is still discussed today.

Her two biggest flames were actors born abroad, although they both made films in Hollywood.

1 had been the recipient of both the Tony and Oscar.

The other had been the star of a film that won an Oscar for The Best Foreign Language Film.

After you identify the famous Hollywood actress, you can name her two favorites and also identify the 2 films discussed above.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:49 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This legendary Hollywood movie star had a spectacular romantic life that is still discussed today.

Her two biggest flames were actors born abroad, although they both made films in Hollywood.

The other had been the star of a film that won an Oscar for The Best Foreign Language Film.

After you identify the famous Hollywood actress, you can name her two favorites and also identify the 2 films discussed above.

Hint#1: All three performers were born abroad.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:49 PM, Princess of Tap said:

On 3/10/2018 at 1:18 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2: The actress in question here has been awarded the Legion of Honor and the Medal of Freedom.

Wow, you do ask tough questions. Are you sure about the Medal of Freedom in Hint #2 as opposed to some other Medal?

On 3/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I first thought of Marlene Dietruch but because I misread your questiuon thinking that you wrote she had 2 HUSBANDS  so I ruled her out. Now I reread your question  so I still think it might be Marlene Dietrich?

59 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I first thought of Marlene Dietruch but because I misread your questiuon thinking that you wrote she had 2 HUSBANDS  so I ruled her out. Now I reread your question  so I still think it might be Marlene Dietrich?

Yes-- Now do you want to answer the other two thirds of the question?

But you can exclude the beautiful Burt Bacharach because she couldn't get her claws into him,  Thank God. LOL

On 3/5/2018 at 9:49 PM, Princess of Tap said:

OK Princess, here's a complete answer to your question.

Marlene Dietrich is the actress. I'm going to guess Yul Brynner and Jean Gabin. The film and Broadway show was obviously The King and I for Yul and Jean Gabin's film would be Au Dela Des Grilles.  ???????????????????

5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

OK Princess, here's a complete answer to your question.

Marlene Dietrich is the actress. I'm going to guess Yul Brynner and Jean Gabin. The film and Broadway show was obviously The King and I for Yul and Jean Gabin's film would be Au Dela Des Grilles.  ???????????????????

Yes, Marlene may have been the queen of serious romance in Hollywood. Her taste was remarkably diverse and versatile.

Lav, Good Work, it's all yours--

Thanks Princess. 

The star of this 1950's film has said that during the filming there were some problems with a few of the neighborhood people. They threatened to beat up the star of the film. Star, film and why were they holding a grudge against the star ???