Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thinking Of Our Friend 'fxreyman' Today

Our fellow Forum member 'fxreyman' has posted that he and his wife are residents of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

And this is what it is going on in that area this week.

ColoradoSprings05

ColoradoSprings01

Tuesday Night

Evacuation orders were given last evening for some 32,000 Colorado Springs residents and it is likely that number has gotten larger today.

ColoradoSprings03

Tuesday Evening

Last I read most of the Air Force Academy has been evacuated today.

ColoradoSprings06

Wednesday Morning

It is very windy there today and thunderstorms, along with the lightning that comes with them, are expected later this afternoon.

ColoradoSprings02

Wednesday Morning

So today I am thinking positive thoughts for our Forum friend and his wife and his neighbors. Hopefully he will check in here again soon and have good news to report.

That also goes for all the other Coloradoans that hang out here. There are infernoes in Boulder and other locations in the state too.

Further reading can be done at the Denver Post website.

http://www.denverpost.com/

Kyle In Hollywood

My thoughts and prayers go out to fxreyman, his wife and all the resisdents of Colorado Springs. I used to have close friend who lived there and I have been there and it is a beautiful place.

Thanks for being this to our attention.

Lori3

Chief,

I, too, hope that Rey and Annie are okay. He had posted a week or so ago, that he had found a new job recently after being unemployed for months.

I've got them in my thoughts and prayers.

Nothing much to add other than an extra prayer for all the residents caught in the middle of this disaster. Between hurricanes in Florida and fires in Colorado, this has not been a good week.

*"He had posted a week or so ago, that he had found a new job recently after being unemployed for months."* - lzcutter

Yes, he did post that news recently. He also mentioned that with this new job, he won't have much spare time for posting here for awhile. So his non-presence in the Forums right now may not be fire-related.

Last month in the thread "Born In The Wrong TIme" he posted about living in Colorado Springs. He also posted about a trip through some of the western National Parks like the Painted Desert and Monument Valley. One of the posts included a photograph he described as a "view from our patio".

http://forums.tcm.com/message.jspa?messageID=8644068#8644068

Anyone know if this is the view from his home in Colorado Springs or the view from the patio of one of the places he stayed during his trips? I am unsure which it is as he was writing about both subjects at once. It is the chance that it is his home that made me slightly more concerned as it is just the kind of area that may be affected by the fire emergency.

Thanks to everyone that has added their thoughts to this thread.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey there everyone!

Kyle, thank you so much for starting a thread about what is happening to me and my wife and the rest of the citizens of Colorado Springs, Colorado. This was very thoughtful of you to do so. And thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. Please continue to do so, since there are so many other people living here who are under more stress than anyone can imagine.

First of all we are fine. Where Annie and I live is approximately ten miles due east of where most of the homes they showed last evening on the news were being burned. And according to the experts the fire is going to continue to move north, away from the rest of the city. That is good news!

What is bad about this fire is that each day it moves further and further up the eastern slopes of the Rampart Range. The range is the first line of mountains before one gets to the taller peaks of the Rockies. Think of them as sort of foothills before the giant-over-11,000 foot peaks. If you look at pictures of the fire during the day you will see the Rampart Range behind the homes that are in trouble. And in many of the "live" pictures majestic 14,110 foot tall Pikes Peak is off to the left. Unscathed so far.

In addition to this fire, the citizens of Colorado Springs have etched into their collective memories the Hayman Fire from 2002 when over 140,000 acres went up in smoke just north of Colorado Springs. Annie and I have driven through that area and the best way to describe what that looks like is like driving on the moon with trees left standing amid the grayness of the soil. I am afraid that that is what the area just around Colorado Springs will look like after this fire is put out.

The scary thing about this fire is how it was started. No one knows how it started. There were no active thunderstorms on Saturday so everyone is guessing that it was man-made. Hate to think that.

It started around noon on Saturday the 23rd in Waldo Canyon, a popular hiking trail area. By Sunday it looked as if it was going to be contained in a small area just north of the town of Manitou Springs. But then came a very high and cooling wind yesterday afternoon due to a dry thunderstorm forty miles to the north in Castle Rock and the fire jumped across Rampart Range Road and raced down the eastern slopes of Queens Canyon and into neighborhoods on the western most outskirts of Colorado Springs. That was where the images of last night came from.

About two weeks ago another wildfire started in and around 11 Mile Reservoir. This is a popular 11-mile lake about 50 miles west of Colorado Springs. They evacuated many of the local residents there and still to this day have not completely gotten that fire under control. The cause of that blaze was not lightning from a storm, or from someone with a campfire or a BBQ, but it was from some guy who was using a propane tank to take pot shots at with a rifle. He hit the tank and the next thing that happened was a wildfire sprung up. Humans are so stupid.

As far as we are concerned in our area which again is about ten miles east of the fire, mostly we have had to deal with ash, smoke and the smell coming from the fire area. Each morning when I get up to let our dog outside I can smell the smoke and there is a haze in the air. Later during the mid morning hours, the haze starts to fade away, but the smell remains. Later in the day, depending on the wind direction the haze returns along with a gigantic plume of smoke trailing off to the east. Sort of looks like the smoke trails from the Twin Towers on 9/11. Very weird sight. Although it sort of has it's own sort of beauty. Not the fire of course, but the way the sun peeks through the haze.

As far as the blaze is concerned the area where it started is an area where Annie and I have driven through. Rampart Range Road is a dirt road that travels up the sides of the Rampart Mountain Range on the extreme west boundary of Colorado Springs. The road starts out in the Garden of the Gods Park, which is a spectacular rock formation on the west side of town. The road travels up the sides of the mountain, zigzagging through beautiful forests, well at least they were beautiful as recently as one week ago. The road attains an altitude of 9,400 feet. The town is at 6,100 feet where the road starts.

So the area that is burning is almost entirely west of Interstate 25. We have several friends who live in that area who have been evacuated. It is scary. I was just over there yesterday morning visiting some friends and less than four hours after I left, they were told to get out. One of my friends house is the only one left standing in a cul-de-sac of six homes. They were extremely lucky.

The most unbelievable stat of the fire is that on late Tuesday afternoon the fire had burned just over 4,000 acres. As of this morning that figure grew to more than 15,000 acres. Many of which were entire neighborhoods of homes. The forest service expects to have the fire contained by mid-July. I really hate to think what the remaining hills will look like afterwards.

All of the local news channels have been on the air since Sunday. No regular programming. Just fire programming. Last night was the worst. They had cameras about 2 miles east of the fire. All you could see were dozens of houses being burned to the ground. It was so sad, and scary. We are lucky that we are on the far eastern side of the city. Luckily as of tonight not one person has been killed due to the fire.

So that is the personal update rather than a standard television and or cable news report.

Again, we are fine. No need to worry. And thank you again for your concern. I really do appreciate it.

On the other news front, yes I am working again. Working for a very nice fellow who owns a very small construction company. I am being trained to be his trouble-shooter and also selling door to door and cold calling on the phone for new roofs. It is demanding work and I am learning a whole new trade. Good for me, since most of my talents as a graphic designer is not needed so much here in the Springs. As far as selling roofs, unfortunately it seems that the only time we think about replacing roofs is with hail damage or as has been the case the last four days, fire damage.

I am hoping that there will not be a need for many roofs on the west side of town.

Rey

Hello "rey" -

Thanks for checking in with your friends here. I'm so glad to hear you and the Mrs. are safe and sound, if a little sooty.

And thanks for updating us on the situation in Colorado Springs. It must be a realief to know that the fire is moving away from densely populated areas.

I hope the temperatures cool over the next few days and that the winds calm down too. In the mean time, I'll keep all Coloradoans in my thoughts.

Kyle In Hollywood

*Rey*, I'm very glad to hear that you and your wife are ok. Keeping you and the rest of the residents of Colorado Springs in my prayers. I have another friend there who had many coworkers that lost their homes....very sad.

fxreyman ~~

{ . . . The scary thing about this fire is how it was started. No one knows how it started. There were no active thunderstorms on Saturday so everyone is guessing that it was man-made. Hate to think that . . . }

Hi Rey . . .

I heard someone mention on TV that it was caused by someone firing a gun. When the bullet struck a rock, it caused a spark it ignite. But as dry as it's been it could have been a number of other things . . .

But, all in all, it's good to know that you and your wife are alright, Thanks to God.

We've been watching the fire burning and the evacuation, on the News

here in Chicago. And we're keeping all in our Prayers. Congradulations on your Construction Job, too. I think you'll have a lot of work ahead.

Take Care !

. . . AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU, KYLE, FOR HAVING MADE MENTION OF THIS SITUATION AND OF ONE OF OUR OWN MEMBERS.

On the other news front, yes I am working again. Working for a very nice fellow who owns a very small construction company. I am being trained to be his trouble-shooter and also selling door to door and cold calling on the phone for new roofs. It is demanding work and I am learning a whole new trade. Good for me, since most of my talents as a graphic designer is not needed so much here in the Springs. As far as selling roofs, unfortunately it seems that the only time we think about replacing roofs is with hail damage or as has been the case the last four days, fire damage.

Hey Rey,

Congratulations for stepping up and entering the wonderful world of sales. An endeavor that is one of the last that rewards the individual for his or her efforts. I've always thought you had some of the Jake bulldog in you to take to 'em.

Don't discount your past working experience for sales. You know something many of us don't know. Sounds like a niche and I promise you someone is selling in that niche in a consultative manner.

I don't mean to be presumptuous but only helpful. Two good short and pithy books by Stephan Schiffman: Telesales and Cold Calling Techniques that really work. However, sales in the modern era is more than these but they still work with time and perspiration

I lived in Colorado selling and hope all works out for those tremendous folks.

Jake

Thank you for taking the time in updating us, fxreyman. I hope the fires will be contained. The beautiful vastness of Yellowstone NP was marred by fire in the 90's and it came back within just a couple years, first with grasses, then bushes and seedlings...

Your report of what's happening seems more concise than what I've seen or read. Thank you.

Our hearts are with you still, we're pulling for you, and write when you feel the urge.

-Charlotte

I also want to say that I'm glad to hear that you're okay for now.

My brother and his wife live in northwestern Colorado so I'm watching the situation there with interest and they're also okay.

Wishing the best for you, your family and friends.

And I also want to thank Kyle for his original post on the situation.

I am glad you are OK, I just watched CNN and the update is 346 homes destroyed, 1 dead, 1 missing and over 16,000 acres burned. The worst fire disaster in Colorado history. I saw the aerial view of the destruction of entire neighborhoods. :(

This might only be the beginning, much of the country is under a bad heatwave. Where I am suppose to be 104. Monticello, Florida reached 109 - a record.