Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why wasn't Petula Clark a bigger movie star?

>I didn't and don't expect anything of you with regards to anything after the 40's.

I didn't care for '40s or '50s pop music. In the late 1960s I had all of Bob Dylan's records, all of Joan Baez's records, several Greatful Dead and Jefferson Airplane recordings. I used to go to Dead and Janice Joplin concerts at the Straight theater, Winterland, the Filmore, and the free concerts on the weekend in Golden Gate Park. No elevator music.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

>

> I remember "Downtown" because I heard it everywhere, every day, for a couple of years. It was in elevators, sandwich shops, bus stations, as background music in stores, bars, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN,DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN, DOWN-TOWN. Only when I went camping in remote areas of the Sierra Madre could I get away from it.

You're over-exagerrating. The song lyrics are below.

When you're alone

And life is making you lonely,

You can always go downtown

When you've got worries,

All the noise and the hurry

Seems to help, I know, downtown

Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city

Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty

How can you lose?

The lights are much brighter there

You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go

Downtown, things'll be great when you're

Downtown, no finer place for sure,

Downtown, everything's waiting for you

(Downtown)

Don't hang around

And let your problems surround you

There are movie shows downtown

Maybe you know

Some little places to go to

Where they never close downtown

Just listen to the rhythm of a gentle bossanova

You'll be dancing with 'em too before the night is over

Happy again

The lights are much brighter there

You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go

Downtown where all the lights are bright,

Downtown, waiting for you tonight,

Downtown, you're gonna be alright now

(Downtown downtown)

Downtown

(Downtown)

And you may find somebody kind to help and understand you

Someone who is just like you and needs a gentle hand to

Guide them along

So, maybe I'll see you there

We can forget all our troubles, forget all our cares and go

Downtown, things'll be great when you're

Downtown, don't wait a minute more,

Downtown, everything's waiting for you

Downtown (downtown) downtown (downtown)

Downtown (downtown) downtown (downtown)

(repeat and fade out)

There's an excellent BBC biography of Petula Clark called "Petula Clark: Blue Lady." I showed it in NYC as part of a series devoted to Welsh artists a few years ago. (Ms. Clark's mother is Welsh.) It's narrated by Honor Blackman.

"Sign of the Times" is one that I remember not only from the radio, but also from one of those HULLABALOO appearances.That was probably my second favorite, but I do recall liking just about all after "Downtown" being at least as good if not better.

What I remember about that period is that while a big fan of the Stones and Beatles, I also enjoyed the likes of Petula Clark and Dionne Warwick as well as Sinatra and Dean Martin and on NYC stations such as WMCA and WABC, you could hear all of them within an hour.

Yes, Downtown was on the radio and jukeboxes for a long, long time. I didnt mind as I loved the song. I didnt know who she was or what she looked like but I liked her from the get go due to that song..........

Does anyone remember the episode of Seinfeld when George and Jerry are trying to decipher some hidden meaning in the lyrics of Downtown? Funny episode..........

Edited by: Hibi on Jun 30, 2012 8:16 PM

Hey MusicalNovelty . . .

I didn't want this thread to get too deep where I wouldn't be able to locate it Before I Had the Chance to make mention that I became quite fascinated by that 'SCOPITON' . . .

I had never heard of this type of 'music-listening' before. I understand that it was invented in France in the early 60's. I'd have to say it's somewhat better than a Jukebox, because you get to 'VIEW' the people singing. Do you know if it held as many records as a regular Jukebox ?

I wonder Why it didn't 'Take off' here in the United States ?

Petula Clark singing 'Calcutta' in French and so 'Grandioso'. I loved it and Thanks for presenting it. I also watched Neil Sedaka singing 'Calendar Girl' and a few others that were done in the early 60's. It was very enjoyable.

Well, Thank you for bringing this Grand Piece of 'Victrola' into the 'Light' . . . for me, anyways !

It was a sheer Delight and rather enjoyed it very much !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR78prYruJIPUjcQoN4UPdimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAjEeu8XvZnqQwBmMdTPC