Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite film soundtracks or film songs

The Hudsucker Proxy - Opening music:  "Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia" From the ballet "Spartacus"

Composed by Aram Khachaturyan.  Narration by Bill Cobbs

Curtis Mayfield's soundtrack for SUPERFLY. At least three great songs. (The title song, "Freddie's Dead", "Pusherman".)

The Competition - Music by Sergei Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3.  Hard to find movie from 1980. The actual piece doesn't start until after the 3 minute mark, but it is well worth the wait.  Kudos to Amy Irving for her simulated piano playing, to Daniel Pollo ck for his actual piano playing, and it is nice to see the wonderful Lee Remick in one of her last theatrical performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyPYr7RHc74

Midnight Cowboy - A Famous Myth by The Groop.  The movie is known for Everybody's Talkin' and its haunting theme song.  This lesser-known song harkens back to the sound of The Mamas and the Papas, The Fifth Dimension, and those light flower child songs of the late 60s.

Sorry to bring this conversation down to a tawdry level, but this is one of my favorite musical scenes. Bo Peep loses her sheep; Tom Tom wants to kiss her. She isn't interested until he locks her feet in the stocks  (i.e. bondage, at about the 5:30 point in the excerpt). Then she's interested, they make love, cut to a rear view sigh, then it turns out the whole town is watching! The film March of the Wooden Soldiers is a priceless hodgepodge of between-the-lines smut!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Rresd4mxw

From the movie Zulu (1964). This track accompanies the great OMG scene where the Zulu warriors are arrayed on the hillside and the British soldiers are wishing they were somewhere else.

John Barry - First Zulu Appearance and Assault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCP3lwI2NE

Sadly, none of the wonderful Zulu songs from the movie are on the soundtrack CD; which would have made it just about perfect.

Zulu wedding songs from the movie

Best wishes
Metairie Road

A Little Romance - George Roy Hill's sweet film of first love. Composer Georges Delerue won an Oscar for his excellent score, but only arranged and conducted my favorite piece from the movie: Antonio Vivaldi's Concerto for Lute 2nd Movement (Largo). It is used periodically throughout the movie, most poignantly at the conclusion.

shown here.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a few tunes I fancy from various movies I've seen:

• The Marvin Hamlisch instrumental theme from the 1980 comedy "SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES".   

• The theme song by THE TUBES from the 1981 comedy "MODERN PROBLEMS".  It's called 'GONNA GET IT NEXT TIME'.  This song should've been a rock hit, but I don't think it charted.  It's so darn catchy.  I really believe anyone who's seen the movie would remember this song if they heard it again!  It plays over the opening credits. 

• 'The Lights and the Smiles' -and- 'I Don't Have To Hide' from "THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL" (1976). 

• 'The Power and the Glory' -and- 'I Wonder Where My Old Friends Are Today' from "HAIL" (1971), a very obscure political comedy.  Can't get either of those Trade Martin songs out of my head despite not having seen the movie in years.   

Some lyrics:

My dreams are all faded

My clothes are outdated

Gone are Hendrix and Joplin

My world is topplin'

A somewhat rare instance of the best movie song of the year, "I'm Easy," actually winning the Academy Award for best song.  

I agree, that was the best song that year! There were several great films that year, but I was/am not a fan of the big winner: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. 

My Favorite Film CD Releases are:

GREAT FILM MUSIC ~ BERNARD HERRMANN (London CD  443 899-2)

THE PROFESSIONAL ~ OST ~ ERIC SERRA (Tristar Music WK67201)

CINEMA PARADISO ~ THE CLASSIC ENNIO MORRICONE (Silva Screen  FILMCD 148)

BLADE RUNNER ~ VANGELIS (Atlantic 82623-2)

SOMEWHERE IN TIME ~ JOHN BARRY (MCAD - 31164)

JOHN WILLIAMS CONDUCTS JOHN WILLAMS ~ THE STAR WARS TRILOGY (SK45947)

My Favorite Film Related "Songs" are:

ADAGIO ~ GAYANE BALLET SUITE ~ ARAM KHACHATURIAN ~ 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

SEIGFRIED'S FUNERAL MUSIC ~ WAGNER ~ From EXCALIBUR (Trevor Jones) ~

WAGNER WITHOUT WORDS - CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA /SZELL (CBS MDK 46286)

OVERTURE to THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD ~ BERNARD HERRMANN

BLADE RUNNER BLUES ~ VANGELIS

THE JAMES BOND THEME ~ NEIL NORMAN AND HIS COSMIC ORCHESTRA

Live At The House of Blues, Hollywood (GNP Crescendo Records GNPD 1414)

GOODBYE BLUE SKY ~ THE WALL ~ PINK FLOYD

SHE IS DEAD ~ THE PROFESSIONAL (Eric Serra)

COME WITH ME ~ PUFF DADDY & JIMMY PAGE ~ GODZILLA (1998)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST - SUITE ~ ENNIO MORRICONE

THE THING (1982) ~ End Titles (Ennio Morricone & John Carpenter)

THE IMPERIAL MARCH ~ THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (John Williams)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Magnolia is not only one of the best films of the 90s, but has one of the best contemporary soundtracks primarily thanks to singer/songwriter Aimee Mann.  I've selected her Oscar nominated "Save Me," but could have just as well substituted "Wise Up," Momentum," Deathly," or "Driving Sideways."