Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EugeniaH

Favorite film soundtracks or film songs

& KUDOS FOR INCLUDING ENNIO!

17 minutes ago, spence said:

and not certain, though it got noms that year as you know his only one (PAPILLON is the one he deserved to win for)  Was it's score nommed as well?

Academy Awards, USA 1967

Nominee
Oscar
Best Picture
Robert Wise
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Steve McQueen
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Mako
Best Cinematography, Color
Joseph MacDonald
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color
Boris Leven
Walter M. Scott
John Sturtevant
William Kiernan
Best Sound
James Corcoran (20th Century-Fox SSD)
Best Film Editing
William Reynolds
Best Music, Original Music Score
Jerry Goldsmith

14 minutes ago, JakeHolman said:

Academy Awards, USA 1967

Nominee
Oscar
Best Picture
Robert Wise
Steve McQueen
Mako
Joseph MacDonald
Boris Leven
Walter M. Scott
John Sturtevant
William Kiernan
Best Sound
Best Film Editing
William Reynolds
Jerry Goldsmith

excellent as usual

Despite 06's epic & outside polling, perfectly composed by JOHN WILLIAMS (l932-) By AFI-(never televised though?)

My personal top 10 scores are still & perhaps always are>  (*-always indicates an Oscar winner)

1st (TIE) ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (l969) (Morricone) & his companion pc from 1984 ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA]

2nd MODERN TIMES( (l936) (Chaplin) & Smile)

3rd EAST OF EDEN (955) (Rosenman) (not even in this race?)

4. *THE GODFATHER (l972) (C. Coppola and Nino Rota)

5th fav of mine &THE GODFATHER, II (l974) (Coppola & Nino Rota)

6.  *ON THE WATERFRONT (l953) (Leonard Bernstein & J. Williams once said this & HIGH NOON were his own favs)

7. *JAWS (l975) (J. Williams)

8. *OUT OF AFRICA (l985) (J. Barry(

9. SOMEWHERE IN TIME (l980) (J. Barry) Now has gained a huge following & short a Mackinac Island)

& my own tenth  THE QUIET MAN (l952) (V. Young)

COMPOSERS>  MAX SEINER (l888-l97l) in a BLOW OUT!

2. *JOHN WILLIAMS

3rd favorite *ENNIO MORRIONE (l928-)(N0TE: Anybody else yet to see his 2015 Western Hateful-Eight, where he finally won???

4th composer ever> BERNHARD HERRMANN (9ll-75)

SCORES ASIDE THOUGH MY A #1 HERO & IDOL-(even barely over TRACY) is of course FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA!!!

On 6/18/2020 at 11:29 AM, JakeHolman said:

Academy Awards, USA 1967

Nominee
Oscar
Best Picture
Robert Wise
Steve McQueen
Mako
Joseph MacDonald
Boris Leven
Walter M. Scott
John Sturtevant
William Kiernan
Best Sound
Best Film Editing
William Reynolds
Jerry Goldsmith

4 stars

I'm a huge Band/Robbie Robertson fan.  I love the soundtracks for Goodfellas, The Color of Money and The Last Waltz.  Stella by Starlight in the Uninvited.  The music from Lawrence of Arabia.  Bernard Hermann (sp?) Hitchcock soundtracks.  I think the music is Street Scene - it is used in a number of opening movies.  Old Man River as sung by Paul Robeson in Show Boat (I hope it is okay to say during this political climate). I like the bittersweet music which underscores the bittersweet marriage story of Two For the Road.  Also like Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffany's and Mancini's Pink Panther score.   Finally, although I could go on, the soundtrack from the original Fantasia (first movie I ever saw in a theatre).

Just now, chaya bat woof woof said:

I'm a huge Band/Robbie Robertson fan.  I love the soundtracks for Goodfellas, The Color of Money and The Last Waltz.  Stella by Starlight in the Uninvited.  The music from Lawrence of Arabia.  Bernard Hermann (sp?) Hitchcock soundtracks.  I think the music is Street Scene - it is used in a number of opening movies.  Old Man River as sung by Paul Robeson in Show Boat (I hope it is okay to say during this political climate). I like the bittersweet music which underscores the bittersweet marriage story of Two For the Road.  Also like Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffany's and Mancini's Pink Panther score.   Finally, although I could go on, the soundtrack from the original Fantasia (first movie I ever saw in a theatre).

then you musta seen scorsese's 1978 docu THE LAST WALTZ

• Like 1

TRUE STORY ALWAYS TALKED ABOUT  SCORSESE, ROBERTSON & HIS FILM DITOR   DURING THE AFTERMATH OF WHAT I ALWAYS FELT WAS A FANATC MUSICAL 1977 NEW YORK, NEW YORK-(especially De Niro here)  WELL, IT HIT THEECK $MONEYWISE$   SO IT'S SAFE TO SAY MARTY WAS MORE THAN DEPRESSED! ALL 3 DID WAS WATCH OLD MOVIES (especially The searchers,etc) GET GET BLITZZED-(or blitssed?) OUT  BIG-TIME!  NEVER EVEN LAVING HIS THEN APARTMENT, OR OPENING THE BLINDS  THEN BOBBY DE CAME TO THEIR DOOR TRYING TO GET SCORSESE OUT OF HIS FUNK & IT WORKED, IT WAWS THE FIRST DRAFT OF   RAGING BULL

• Thanks 1

Off rgw ropic a wee bit, but JAKE & I somewhat went over this in about3yrs or better  WHO COULD SEE THE KING OF MOVIE COOL McQUEEN AS NEWMAN'S SUPERB ON EVERY LEVEL FROM 1967 COOL HAND LUKE? (Lucas Jackson)

please comment either way

To Spence:  I've seen The Last Waltz numerous times and the story-telling portions are some of the best parts.  I also read R. Robertson's memoir Testimony.  You spoke about Steve M.  I think he was also involved in Butch and Sundance (but, while he was the essence of cool and a marvelous actor, I don't think he was the easier person to work with).

I love the score of Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith.  It's a great piece, it sets the tone of the movie without being intrusive.

If it's already been posted, sorry; It's worth repeating.