Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ernest Borgnine dead at age 95

{font:Calibri}This has got to be a sad day for all TCM fans and Hollywood in general. Ernest Borgnine in his later years was a marvelous ambassador for the entertainment industry and his refusal to quit is an inspiration to all of us “Oldsters" that life isn’t over until we breathe our last. How wonderful that he was a part of the TCM family; I’m certain that we all send out condolences to his other one. Whichever one we belonged to we were privileged to be so. RIP, Mr. Borgnine , I truly hope there is a better life to which you are now living. {font}

His last film, THE MAN WHO SHOOK THE HAND OF VICENTE FERNANDEZ, premiered in April at the Newport Beach Film Festival. It is an indy feature and will hopefully get a wider release.

From the IMDB page:

Ernest Borgnine plays Rex Page, an old man who is bitter about never becoming famous and having lived a life without any meaning. After suffering a stroke, he ends up in a nursing home staffed by Latin American immigrants. Put off by the situation, Rex focuses his energy on getting out, which places him at odds with the Latino workers. However, their relationship takes on new meaning when it is discovered that he once shook hands with Vicente Fernandez, a Mexican singer, producer and actor idolized throughout Latin culture. The employees soon begin to treat Rex like the celebrity he's always dreamed of being.

Rest in peace Ernest Borgnine, but with all due respect, we all know the TCM programmers are going to shuffle the July schedule for a tribute.

All I can say is that if they mess with daytime July 17 (Jack Conway tribute and some rarely aired films) or daytime July 18 (Hal Roach day - also some rare stuff) I will explode.

He was also one of the true "nice guys" in Hollywood -- like James Stewart and Charlton Heston -- always a class act who was always positive, a help to others, just an all around great guy.

A very sad day but he lived a long and happy life and died knowing how loved and respected he was. Godspeed to Ernest Borgnine, a truly American original.

Rest in Peace.

I'm so saddened. I always wished I'd been able to make it to one of his appearences. What a wonderful actor and person. Marty was one of my all time favorite movies. It had deep meaning for me. I think I've seen it 50 times and have never grown tired of it, or the message.

We grew up watching McHale's Navy with my Dad as a kid.

He was a true Hollywood star, and will be missed by so many.

I know he touched my life.

I just learned of this sad news. Wow, I did not realize he was 95. Ernie Borgnine was a great actor and an overall nice guy. I actually met him briefly when they were filming parts of the sci-fi film "Gattica" in the office building where I worked. Though "Marty" is arguably his most famous film, Ernie was equally fantastic a year later in his role as Bronx cab driver Tom Hurley in "The Catered Affair" (1956, MGM). It co-starred Bette Davis, Barry Fitgerald and, in a rare dramatic role, Debbie Reynolds. If TCM shows it, don't miss it. RIP Mr. Borgnine.

Edited by: thx4tcm on Jul 8, 2012 6:56 PM

This is very sad to learn.

I had the pleasure of attending a screening of *From Here To Eternity* hosted by TCM with "Ernie" and Ben Mankiewicz in attendance. His story of being "menaced" while filming *Marty* by some local NYC toughs who recognized him as "the guy who killed Sinatra" is one of my favorite "celeb stories".

As a "Friend Of TCM", he has earned an evening "TCM Remembers" tribute in July (before "Summer Under The Stars" arrives in August.) Timely as it may be, I am thinking "Olympic Eve" on the 26th may get the axe. *The Bob Mathias Story* - starring Bob Mathias! - scheduled for that night may be a TCM premiere, but I am thinking it is far from a good movie. Mr. Borgnine's tribute would be more interesting and timely.

And I'd hate to see the nights of "Stanwyck Pre-Codes" or the Loretta Young night with the premieres of *Born To Be Bad* and *Eternally Yours* preempted.

Hopefully TCM has access this month to *Marty*, *From Here To Eternity*, *Bad Day At Black Rock* and even *The Wild Bunch*. Those films, along with his "Private Screening" episode, would make for a fine tribute.

But if it can't be done in the evening, go ahead and give it to Ben Mankiewicz to host on a weekend afternoon. The two of them appeared to get along well.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Jul 8, 2012 4:40 PM

to change a date that was in error.

This certainly is very sad news for all of us movie/TV fans. Mr Borgnine was a fine actor and an even finer gentleman. I never had the pleasure of meeting him or seeing him in person. Most everything I have read about him says he was a true 1st class man. And he lived his life to the fullest right to very near the end. So while we are sad, we should also be very happy for him and his family and friends. He lived a very good and long life and had a positive impact on us all. I salute you "Lt Commander McHale" , maybe he's out watersking behind PT 73 as I am typing here. :)

RIP, Mr. Borgnine. Equally convincing in *Marty* as he was in *From Here to Eternity* - two polar opposite roles.

I was looking up his credits on IMDB and I came across a couple of quotes on that site. He talks about acting:

"The trick is not to become somebody else. You become somebody else when you're in front of a camera or when you're on stage. There are some people who carry it all the time. That, to me, is not acting. What you've gotta do is find out what the writer wrote about and put it into your mind. This is acting. Not going out and researching what the writer has already written. This is crazy!"

"Everything I do has a moral to it. Yes, I've been in films that have had shootings. I made [The Wild Bunch|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065214/] (1969), which was the beginning of the splattering of blood and everything else. But there was a moral behind it. The moral was that, by golly, bad guys got it. That was it. Yeah."

Pike Bishop: What would you do in his place? He gave his word.

Dutch Engstrom: He gave his word to a railroad.

Pike Bishop: It's his word.

Dutch Engstrom: That ain't what counts! It's who you give it to!

---William Holden and Ernest Borgnine, The Wild Bunch.

Here's hoping that "Dutch" is hanging around the bar tonight with "Pike: and the rest of his buddies from *The Wild Bunch*. Should be a raucous night in heaven tonight.

In the obits today, I have read a few mentions of the cross-country trips he would take driving himself around in a huge bus with the sole purpose of meeting people along the way. I've been looking for any article onilne that detailed those adventures but can't find one.

But I found the video of the documentary made with his son about the trip. It can be seen (for free) here -

And here's a "review" on the video from the "Film Threat" website -

http://www.filmthreat.com/reviews/6138/

"In today?s world of soundbites, celebrities on the cover of People along with many tabloids, and constant media tracking of major stars, it's remarkable to watch Borgnine just come up to people and introduce himself. Borgnine doesn't force his credentials upon anyone, and doesn?t say, "You've got to remember me. I was in a lot of movies, ****!" Here, Borgnine is Borgnine and while his star doesn't shine in Hollywood today, it's a fine way to learn about parts of his life and loves straight from him. If people recognize him, that's fine. And if they don't (as it happens occasionally), then that's fine too."

"It's a perfect mixture of talk from him about roles of long ago and his visits to various small towns, factories, and food stops. More than anything, it's a documentary that observes and notices above all that while Borgnine may not be noticeable in the Hollywood of today (looks like he?s doing some indie films here and there and that's good enough for me), he loves the life he's leading at this moment."

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Jul 8, 2012 9:17 PM

I hope they dont take as long to tribute him as they are in doing one for Andy G.

I'm also hoping they pick some of the lesser showed movies instead of the ones that get played to death all year long too. I love most of the ones that get wore out, but some movies lose the luster when shoved down our throats too often.

Rest in peace Ernest Borgnine, but with all due respect, we all know the TCM programmers are going to shuffle the July schedule for a tribute.

All I can say is that if they mess with daytime July 17 (Jack Conway tribute and some rarely aired films) or daytime July 18 (Hal Roach day - also some rare stuff) I will explode.

Ernest Borgnine was one of my all-time favorite actors and definitely deserves a tribute. But *PLEASE* , pre-empt some of those endless "adventure" movies that have been dominating the July schedule, and leave the few pre-code Stanwycks and Crawfords alone. Next Monday the 16th would be the perfect day to pre-empt as many movies as necessary in order to give Borgnine his proper due, beginning at noon.