Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ernest Borgnine dead at age 95

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}Rest in peace Ernest Borgnine, but with all due respect, we all know the TCM programmers are going to shuffle the July schedule for a tribute.

>

> All I can say is that if they mess with daytime July 17 (Jack Conway tribute and some rarely aired films) or daytime July 18 (Hal Roach day - also some rare stuff) I will explode.

>

> Ernest Borgnine was one of my all-time favorite actors and definitely deserves a tribute. But *PLEASE* , pre-empt some of those endless "adventure" movies that have been dominating the July schedule, and leave the few pre-code Stanwycks and Crawfords alone. Next Monday the 16th would be the perfect day to pre-empt as many movies as necessary in order to give Borgnine his proper due, beginning at noon.

I would be the most surprised person in America if TCM disrupts their July salute to classic adventure to pay tribute to Ernest Borgnine. That is how they plan to hook their target demographic don't you know. They'll clear out some day or night of rare old stuff for the tribute since they generally do not see the value in such films.

Look at how they handled Ann Rutherford's tribute. Monday July 2... nope... can't cancel classic adventure. July 4....nope got to play our yearly Independence day repertoire. July 3 - George Sanders day - who is that guy anyways??? Gone baby gone.

Something about them Italians. Borgnine didn't make a big deal out of his career, often downplayed it. Much like another Italian actor, Victor Mature, who often claimed he WASN'T an actor, "...and I've got twenty pictures under my belt that PROVES it!".

You couldn't but help liking him in movies, even when he played a bad guy! And he did both nice guys and creeps equally well. His infectuous laugh in interviews was engaging, and I've never read any other person who'd worked with him say anything negative. Seemed to get along with everyone. It seemed he would live forever. He certainly gave it a good try.

Sepiatone

Rest in Peace Mr. Ernest Borgnine. You are a hard act to follow and will greatly be missed! I've enjoyed and enjoy your movies(along with McHale's Navy tv show) time and time again.....you are one of my favorite Male actors. Your acting legacy will go on and on. My condolences and prayers are sent to the precious Borgnine family. Enjoy Heaven! GOD BLESS you forever and ever! Thank you Mr. Borgnine for your impeccable and extraordinary acting! Thank you!

*"They'll clear out some day or night of rare old stuff for the tribute since they generally do not see the value in such films."* - calvinnme

When planning the Borgnine tribute, TCM kept on the schedule the two nights with some of the most interesting older films. The evening of Stanwyck pre-code films (July 20th) and the evening of Loretta Young films with the premieres of *Born To Be Bad (1934)* and *Eternally Yours (1939)* (July 25) have survived intact.

The films replaced on July 26th were Olympic-themed in the evening and primarily 1960s fare during the daytime hours.

TCM almost never (only once in my memory) preempts the "Star Of The Month" evenings or the "TCM Spotlight" evenings (like "Classic Adventure") for a schedule change to honor an actor who has passed.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

>

> I would be the most surprised person in America if TCM disrupts their July salute to classic adventure to pay tribute to Ernest Borgnine.

Prepare to be surprised; TCM is airing 24 hours of his films July 26. An excellent way to pay tribute to one of the channel's best friends.

He was a wonderful actor, and seemed to always enjoy it! Looking forward to TCM's tribute on

July 29. He was a real part of 'classic' Hollywood! Thank you, Mr. Borgnine for your role in "Marty" (my personal favorite) and so many others. May you rest well!

My sympathies to his family.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > I would be the most surprised person in America if TCM disrupts their July salute to classic adventure to pay tribute to Ernest Borgnine.

> >

> Prepare to be surprised; TCM is airing 24 hours of his films July 26. An excellent way to pay tribute to one of the channel's best friends.

I'm still waiting to be surprised. July 26 is Thursday - classic adventure is on Mondays in July. Although I am happy about two things - no elimination of the days or nights of older rare films for the tribute, and that TCM is going to show "Pay or Die", which I don't recall being on TCM before. Maybe a long time ago?

TCM is airing 24 hours of his films July 26. An excellent way to pay tribute to one of the channel's best friends.

Especially since there isn't a single movie previously scheduled for that day that we can't live without or won't see again in the near future. Thank God they left the pre-code and noir days alone.

I haven't posted in a while but I do want to pay my respects to such a wonderful actor. Rest in peace Mr. Borgnine. Yes, I did not know the man but he was great in so many films, even if I didn't care for the film. In the many interviews I had the pleasure of seeing, including recent ones after his emmy nod, he was such a delight. What a classy, upbeat guy...and sharp as a tact! I don't think I ever heard a negative comment about a costar from this man, he found the positive in situations where others would have used the opportunity to air their grievances. The guy was just all around classy and I look forward to his tribute.....and eventually his SOTM tribute.

Side bar: TCM has to be the classiest channel when it comes to tributes for the recently deceased. I still have no idea who is behind them, but those TCM Remembers tributes are the best "in memoriam" I have ever seen a cable channel do for an actor. I don't know how someone is able to pull 3-5 films and gather just the right clips to reflect the fine acting career as well as the melancholy feeling of mourning a death for a 1:10 clip. The selfish film fan in me hates to see these wonderful actors go, but I love these tributes and I love revisiting many of the great films of their careers. I was teary eyed when I heard the news. I was teary eyed again when I saw the tribute. I shiver at the thought of seeing a TCM Remembers spot for quite a few still with us (and some still working like Mr Borgnine was up until the end!!)

> {quote:title=araner1973 wrote:}{quote}Gee, cynical much?

>

> Sheesh.

I'm not sure to which of my posts you are referring, since they are all pretty cynical, but my feeling was this: I'd rather complain out front before the TCM programmers wipe out a day of rare programming for a tribute than afterwards when no amount of whining will change things. Maybe it won't make a difference in what they do, but saying nothing for sure will change nothing.

*"Side bar: TCM has to be the classiest channel when it comes to tributes for the recently deceased. I still have no idea who is behind them, but those TCM Remembers tributes are the best "in memoriam" I have ever seen a cable channel do for an actor."* - LoveFilmNoir

I want to give a shout-out to the creative mind behind the just-released "TCM Remembers - Ernest Borgnine" who had the wisdom, understanding and appreciation to include the clip of Marty slapping the Bus Stop Sign in the memorial piece. That short moment is one of the purest expressions of human joy ever put on film.

Kyle In Hollywood

I watched "When Time Ran Out" (1980) last night on Encore because Ernest Borgnine is in it. He played an NYPD detective hounding a crook but the movie itself STUNK!

This is a perfect example of, no matter how many great stars you pack into a movie, they won't help if the plot/story is lame. Wasted 2 hours (enjoyed Borgnine) and most of it on a rotten bridge with Burgess Meredith doing a poor man's tight rope rescue.

Movie ended with the hotel destroyed by a lava bomb. Hated that volcano SPX. The movie "The Rains Came" (1939) has *better* effects!

I'll never watch this thing again. :(

Loved your quote, Kyle re: Ernie's expression of joy. Love "Marty" and met the man himself several times at screenings here in L.A.. At one such screening, hosted by Delbert Mann, he (Mann) answered my question about the scene before the one with the stop sign, showing Clara in her parents' bedroom, I had never seen it and he informed us that it had been cut for commercial TV.

*"Loved your quote, Kyle re: Ernie's expression of joy."* - johnpressman

Thanks!

*"At one such screening, hosted by Delbert Mann, he (Mann) answered my question about the scene before the one with the stop sign, showing Clara in her parents' bedroom, I had never seen it and he informed us that it had been cut for commercial TV."*

That "missing" scene has been a topic around here for a long time. Many members noticed its absence from copies shown on TCM. But I believe the network resolved the issue and now plays a version with the scene restored. At least, I hope TCM isn't still showing a version without the bedroom scene unless it is unintentional.

Kyle In Hollywood

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}I want to give a shout-out to the creative mind behind the just-released "TCM Remembers - Ernest Borgnine" who had the wisdom, understanding and appreciation to include the clip of Marty slapping the Bus Stop Sign in the memorial piece. That short moment is one of the purest expressions of human joy ever put on film. {font}

Bravo!

I was aware of Mr. Borgnine's advanced age, and his active status (I saw him in several made-for-TV movies on the Hallmark Channel, watched as he was presented with a special aware in early 2011, and read here that he cruised with TCM last December) was simply awe-inspiring to me. Still, I was absolutely shocked to learn he had passed away. I thought he would live to be 100 for sure! A long life. I'm happy that he eventually found happiness in his private life as well

RIP.

BLU

Fox Movie Channel had a rare Ernest Borgnine film on today at 6AM entitled "Three Brave Men". It starred Borgnine as a civilian Navy employee who is fired for having Communist affiliations in his youth. I don't think I've seen a film made any earlier than this - 1956 - that dealt with the blacklists of the 1950's as far as putting the whole thing in a bad light. I wonder if it was meant to be a tribute to Borgnine or just a coincidence? Naah. It had to be a coincidence. We're talking about the "new Fox Movie Channel" here where Horton Hears a Who is now preferred to The Hustler.

While programming titles on my DVR, the Olympic eve pictures are still on the cable guide. Also, a check at TCM's daily schedules shows that they have yet to update it to reflect the 24-hour tribute to Mr. Borgnine.

I am sure it's a matter of time before they change it.

The Olympic eve pictures are off the schedule now and the line-up for Mr. Borgnine is on.

I wanted to tell folks that Encore Drama channel will be airing one of his last films, ANOTHER HARVEST MOON, on Thursday afternoon. I haven't seen it, so I don't know how good it is...Piper Laurie costars.