Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't think I've seen this film. I'll watch it tonight out of curiosity and because Joseph Cotton is in it.

Question: Is this a remake? I recall this past year seeing a film on TCM that starred Charles Laughton as a bank employee who embezzles a large amount of money and then, after fear sinks in, tries to figure out a way of returning it. Maureen O'Sullivan played his daughter. It was suspenseful but it seemed more of a character piece about a man with a guilty conscience.

Cannot remember the name of it, but does anyone know the movie I'm referring to?

Thanks,

Donna

Yes, quite different. PAYMENT DEFERRED was stage bound, most of it set in the home of Laughton. THE STEEL TRAP is all over the place with that kind of location shooting that Andrew L. Stone specialized in with his thrillers. The tension is high, even if it isn't quite always believable.

Watching right now. And I have seen it! Just didn't remember the title. Getting old here! :-)

And it is totally different. I remember the Laughton one seemed veddy British and didn't seem to have very sophisticated cameras.

Edited by: 47songs on Jul 8, 2012 10:59 PM

Okay, I just checked and it was released in 1931, so the cameras are definately understandable.

Edited by: 47songs on Jul 8, 2012 11:03 PM

On Wednesday, the guy suddenly decides to rob his own bank of a million dollars on Friday, with no planning, and he has to tell his wife, research a country to flee to, get two passports, 2 visas, airplane tickets, make arrangements for his kid's babysitter, pack his suitcases, steal the money and carry it out of the bank in a suitcase that weighs 115 pounds, catch the airplane at the LA airport, change planes in New Orleans, and be in Brazil by Saturday night.

Doh.

And it's a 115 pound carry-on bag! :)

On Wednesday, the guy suddenly decides to rob his own bank of a million dollars on Friday, with no planning, and he has to tell his wife, research a country to flee to, get two passports, 2 visas, airplane tickets, make arrangements for his kid's babysitter, pack his suitcases, steal the money and carry it out of the bank in a suitcase that weighs 115 pounds, catch the airplane at the LA airport, change planes in New Orleans, and be in Brazil by Saturday night.

Fred, it's called pre-pre-pre 911.

Actually, Arturo, it's called "Joseph Cotten, world's strongest human!" at least as far as that suitcase goes. :)

I wonder how much he'd get charged for that bag today? I say that as someone who hasn't flown since 1999.

I'm still wondering what kind of story the guy is going to come up with when his co-worker makes a beef about not being the one to go to Brazil. And what happens when the janitor opens that closet and out tumble a bunch of strongboxes and a ratty old suitcase! Let's see... somebody broke into the bank over the weekend and put money back. Huh?! Wait a minute! And you'd think that the bank would at least have Edward Souse checking things out from time to time!

Oh, gosh! Way too many threads dangling around. But the movie was rather fun to watch, especially trying to figure out when Miss Wright was going to catch on.

Brian

> {quote:title=brianNH wrote:}{quote}I'm still wondering what kind of story the guy is going to come up with when his co-worker makes a beef about not being the one to go to Brazil. And what happens when the janitor opens that closet and out tumble a bunch of strongboxes and a ratty old suitcase! Let's see... somebody broke into the bank over the weekend and put money back. Huh?! Wait a minute! And you'd think that the bank would at least have Edward Souse checking things out from time to time!

>

> Oh, gosh! Way too many threads dangling around. But the movie was rather fun to watch, especially trying to figure out when Miss Wright was going to catch on.

>

>

> Brian

>

I didn't watch the film this time around, but doesn't Teresa Wright call the co-worker after Joseph Cotten tell her he's coming back. Maybe we're supposed to think she smoothed things over with him?

I remember seeing this a month or so ago on TCM. I mentioned here at the time on a thread about "blondes who were not really blondes" that I didn't think Wright looked good as a blonde.

But wasn't one of the reasons Cotton claimed he took the money was to make their lives easier? Didn't look all that easy to me, and judging by his job, their house and neighborhood, they weren't really doing that bad to begin with. It would have made more sense if they were saddled with tons of medical bills or some other financial hardships. But it did get it's final point of the attack of conscience, and putting his wife and family ahead of any nefarious financial gain across at the end. I liked it, too.

Sepiatone

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

what happened with crime is not suppose to pay, I mean this guy did steal the money and had it for over a day...........................................

Yes he got it back in the safe but still, he got away with it for a day. Didn't spend any of the stolen money but blew a wad on plane tickets, taxi cabs, hotels, etc.

The mighty censors messed up, some may get the idea that you can commit a crime and change your mind at any time. lol.

Oh yeah. I watched David Letterman's real dad take the money and then have the world's most understanding and patient wife, Teresa Wright(did she ever play anything BUT that type?!) shame him into doin' the Wright..err I mean, RIGHT thing!

(...yeah, it was okay)

Here is a crooked banker who planned ahead. He bought land in Venezuela and Guatemala, he owns an ocean-going speed boat, and he probably put all the money in his accounts in the Cayman Islands.

*Georgia banker missing, so is $17 million*

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/08/us/georgia-wire-fraud/index.html

But federal investigators, including the FBI, believe Price, who owns property in Venezuela and Guatemala, may be on the run. FBI Special Agent Michael Howard said in the complaint that investigators believe Price "may own a boat that would be large enough to travel to Venezuela from Florida."

I am jealous of all of you who watched "The Steel Trap". I was watching "The Steel Trap" for the first time. I was highly engrossed with James Cotton and Theresa Wright's characters. I was on the edge of my seat wondering if James Cotton would actually get away with a 115 pound suitcase filled with U.S. paper currency to Brazil, would he be caught and sent to jail by some sort of slip-up, or would his conscience get the best of him. There was about five minutes left in the movie when the unthinkable happened: I fell asleep. I woke up and the introduction to "Crime Wave" was playing. Boy, the profanity which spewed from my mouth...