Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Parents who clearly aren't old enough to be parents.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}Ok, perhaps we should leave out movies where the characters travel in time, like {font}Back in the Future,{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} or where the movie spans more than a few years, like {font}[Yankee Doodle Dandy|http://forums.tcm.com/post!reply.jspa?messageID=8658406#|Powered by Text-Enhance].

I agree, Skimpole, and that's why I didn't mention *Giant*. An actor is better off being young if playing a character as a teenager, and even then it doesn't always work.

BLU

I watched a soap back in the 70s called ANOTHER WORLD. Twins Michael & Marianne Randolph grew into adults, but their parents, John & Pat Randolph, never aged. Jamie Frame grew up too, but his mother, Rachel, never aged. Same with Dennis Carrington. He became an adult, but his mother Iris never aged.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}How about Gene Hackman and Estelle Parsons playing husband and wife in "Bonnie and Clyde" and, three years later, playing brother and sister in "I Never Sang For My Father"?{font}

Interesting, but neither has anything to do with actors too young to play the parents of their screen children...

BLU

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}Yes, Hume Cronyn played the father of his real-life wife Jessica Tandy in The Green Years.{font}

And this isn't a case of the husband being a generation older than his wife a la Bogie and Bacall. Hume Cronyn was actually a few years younger than Jessica Tandy!

BLU

Angela Lansbury was mentioned in the original post. She was only nine years older than Elvis, playing his mother in BLUE HAWAII. But Miss Lansbury often played older than her actual age. She was the female Lee J. Cobb in this regard.

Someone mentioned a soap opera. Everyone knows that soaps always fudge the ages of characters. They age children rapidly and they de-age older characters with recasts as often as most of us change our bed sheets.

Another one I want to add is Claudette Colbert playing June Allyson's mother in THE SECRET HEART. Claudette is still so youthful-looking and vibrant at this stage of her career that I almost prefer to think of her as an older sister. The same applies to her being Jennifer Jones' mother a few years earlier in SINCE YOU WENT AWAY. Now, fifteen years later when she is playing Troy Donahue's mother in PARRISH, I can buy that. For the record: Colbert was born in 1903; Allyson in 1917; Jones in 1919; and Donahue was born in 1936.

Finally, we have another trend in Hollywood. This is where perimenopausal women play mothers to babies or infants and very young children. Sure it still physically possible for women to have children in their late 40s, but are audiences really going to believe it?

Barbara Stanwyck, as much as I adore her, is almost too long in the tooth to be the biological mother of a four year old in TROOPER HOOK. She was 50 at the time the film was released. I would've bought this two decades earlier in BANJO ON MY KNEE, where she and costar Joel McCrea were younger and in their child-bearing years.

TopBilled wrote:

<< Barbara Stanwyck, as much as I adore her, is almost too long in the tooth to be the biological mother of a four year old in TROOPER HOOK. She was 50 at the time the film was released. >>

Lol, she's still a youngster.

True fact, Rajo Devi Lohan became a mom again at age 72. :^0

article-0-02EA23BA000005DC-502_468x504.j

Yes, but I don't think Miss Stanwyck was supposed to be playing Miss Lohan in TROOPER HOOK. LOL I am nicely stating that Babs was miscast, playing a role that was obviously written with a much younger woman/actress in mind.

This is where perimenopausal women play mothers to babies or infants and very young children. Sure it still physically possible for women to have children in their late 40s, but are audiences really going to believe it?

Like Lucy giving birth in YOURS, MINE AND OURS?

Yes, clore. That film was based on a real-life event. The woman Lucy is playing in YOURS, MINE AND OURS really did have another child late in life. However, I do think Lucy was older than the part called for...she was 57 in 1968 when the movie came out in theatres. So, in this case Lucy is probably not perimenopausal but post-menopausal.

In MAME, released six years later when Lucy was 63, we are supposed to accept she is the little boy's aunt. But it comes across more as her being a grandmother to him.

I know it was based on a real situation, but Lucy was 19 years older than the character she was playing. It rather strained credulity given that she was so out of focus in the film, it would have complicated the delivery process. :)

As much as we love some of these classic actresses, it is sad about trying to pass yourself off as being in child-bearing age when you are nearing 60. LOL

At least Kate Hepburn never tried that. In fact, I don't think we ever saw her give birth on screen, did we?

At least Kate Hepburn never tried that. In fact, I don't think we ever saw her give birth on screen, did we?

No, I can't remember such as scene, but it's been a while since I've seen SEA OF GRASS and I can't recall if we were treated to a birth scene for either the eventual Robert Walker or Phyllis Thaxter.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Going in the other direction, Lewis Stone looked old enough to be Mickey Rooney's great-grandfather in the ANDY HARDY series.

Lewis Stone looked old enough to be Mickey Rooney's grandfather anyway in the Hardy series, but it was really a matter of Stone looking much older than he actually was.

When Stone made his first Hardy movie in 1937 (actually the second in the series), he was only 57 or 58, even though he had white/grey hair and looked kind of gaunt.

Assuming that Judge Hardy was supposed to be about the same age as Stone in real life, he wasn't really that old to have a son in his mid-teens (Andy was supposed to be about 15 at the beginning of the series) and a daughter in her early 20s (Cecilia Parker, who played Andy's sister Marian, was 23 at the time, and Marian was finished with school in the movies, so 20-23 is about right).

That would mean that Judge Hardy was in his 30s when Marian was born and in his early 40s when Andy was born. Not exactly a young father, but not unrealistic, when you consider that the future judge went to both college and law school, probably graduating in his mid- or late-20s, and probably didn't get married until his law practice was established -- which he says took some time in one of the later Hardy movies. So having kids in his 30s and early 40s isn't so unrealistic.

You're right, though, that Mr. Stone does look a bit older than someone you'd expect to be the father of a teenager. But have you ever noticed that a lot of characters in older movies are described as being younger than they look to our modern eyes. In HOLIDAY (1938), I think Katherine Hepburn's father is said to be in his early 50s, if I remember correctly, but he looks about 70. In fact, Henry Kolker, who played the father, was 68, so he was actually much older than his character (and looked his age, unlike Lewis Stone). Apparently, Kolker's appearance wasn't considered unrealistic in those days (or director George Cukor didn't care).

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I am OLDER than Stone was in the Hardy series, and I could pass for his grandson.

I'm just a few years younger, and I could probably pass for his grandson, too (even after taking a long, hard look in the mirror at my own grey hair).

Lewis Stone looked a bit old for the part, but his gravitas and fine acting ability made up for it, in my view -- he was almost perfect as Judge Hardy.

Edited by: BingFan on Jul 16, 2012 4:27 PM

In Humoresque 1946, Ruth Nelson who played John Garfield's mother in the film was only 8 years older than he.

In Body and Soul 1947, Anne Revere who played John Garfield's mother in the film was only 10 years older than he. Revere was also a direct descendant of Paul Revere.

Lori

finance wrote:

<< How many actresses DID we ever see giving birth on screen? >>

Before the 1970's, *none* I beleive. Television broke the taboo with Lucille Ball being the first to tackle the delicate subject of pregnancy.

She or no one else could use the word itself and although she gave birth off camera, it still brought outrage by some people.

Gloria of "All In The Family" was the first to give birth on TV in 1975.

Wilma Flintstone, "The Flintstones" was the first animated character to become pregnant and was aimed at children.

I guess one would have to see a foreign made film to see one giving birth in the early days of film.

I still remember that National Geographic (not the channel) special on TV around 1969 to show the first live fetus inside. My mom was horrified in that was on TV.

Amazes me that we Americans knew how to procreate back then.

Maybe thats why immigration was so popular. :P

Remember Mr Mooney's birds-and-the-bees monologue in "The Lucy Show"? (Lol, solved that childless mystery)