Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stars You Don't Expect To See Together

> {quote:title=TomJH wrote:}{quote}You can really see a connection between those two, can't you, Valeska.

To me, there's something very moving about those pix that's hard to put into words.

I think Duke's performance has to be one of the most outstandingly evocative of any biopic performance.

I can't think of any that surpass it though it's important to note that Patty and Anne Bancroft had 719 performances of the play on Broadway during which to perfect their roles.

Trivia: according to Wikipedia, Keller's eyes were removed and she wore glass eyes for the rest of her life "for medical and cosmetic reasons."

Here's an amazing 1930 newsreel clip of Helen with Annie Sullivan describing how Helen learned to talk:

Here's one of my favorite examples of "stars you don't expect to see together":

(I'm still not sure how to post pictures here, so this is a link to the still on eBay).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shirley-Temple-with-Harpo-Marx-original-candid-photo-1935-Duck-Soup-/380470704481?item=380470704481&ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:3166&nma=true&si=rNRY3HoWR9vmafBunj5MOmm2LOk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_3677wt_1403

If anyone can scan this from eBay then post it here, feel free to (as this is a completed eBay auction the image will not be up forever).

Something very interesting about this still:

On the back is an original studio caption indicating they apparently were changing the young actress's name! I still don't think I've ever seen this documented anywhere else.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}Here's one of my favorite examples of "stars you don't expect to see together":

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Something very interesting about this still:

> On the back is an original studio caption indicating they apparently were changing the young actress's name! I still don't think I've ever seen this documented anywhere else.

The image is cute . . .

Untitled_zpsb6e5c53a.jpg

But the info on the back makes no sense --

shirleytempleb_zpse07e5064.jpg

Who could possibly have misidentified Shirley Temple ???

No way was anyone going to change her name in 1933, and she never played any

characters by that name . . . . ?:|

> {quote:title=ValeskaSuratt wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:

> > }{quote}Here's one of my favorite examples of "stars you don't expect to see together":

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Something very interesting about this still:

> > On the back is an original studio caption indicating they apparently were changing the young actress's name! I still don't think I've ever seen this documented anywhere else.

> >

>

>

>

> The image is cute . . .

>

> Untitled_zpsb6e5c53a.jpg

>

> But the info on the back makes no sense --

>

> shirleytempleb_zpse07e5064.jpg

>

> Who could possibly have misidentified Shirley Temple ???

>

> No way was anyone going to change her name in 1933, and she never played any

> characters by that name . . . . ?:|

>

Thanks for posting the images.

About the apparent name change, I suppose it could be possible. Remember this was before Shirley was a big star. She had done some films for other studios before this Paramount period (sometimes billed as Shirley Jane Temple, sometimes not billed at all). Maybe Paramount thought of starting her out at their studio under a new name. Turns out she made only three movies there, of which TO THE LAST MAN was the first (and it's during the filming of this western in mid-1933 that she went over to the DUCK SOUP set and met Harpo).

Before this she had made one short for Universal, and was still in the middle of her Educational shorts series, still yet to go over to Fox where as they say the rest is history.

musicalnovelty,

I'm no Shirley Temple expert but I'm afraid I find your theory extremely doubtful.

From what I've read, her parents, Gertrude and George Temple, were very down-to-earth people. Though they DID allow Fox to subtract a year from their daughter's age by moving her year of birth from 1928 to 1929, it still seems unlikely that they'd change her name to the un-childlike "Jean Isbel."

In fact, Gertrude was that rarest of creatures: a GOOD stage mother. She was on the set at all times, coaching and protecting her daughter, and yet her child-rearing was obviously exemplary since Shirley grew up to be surprisingly normal for a former child star.

As for George, I can't remember in which book I read it (I think it was a biography of Darryl Zanuck) but there's a very telling anecdote about him: early in Shirley's affiliation with Fox, George asked for a meeting with Zanuck and when he sat down with the film executive, George seemed nervous and embarrassed.

He proceeded to pull out a packet of letters he'd received from women all across America begging for a chance to have his child, in the hope that "lightning would strike twice" and THEY'D have a little child star of their own.

George stammered something to the effect of "Are there really such women in the world ???" and Zanuck -- who was accustomed to having a sexual assignation with a good-looking young lady EVERY DAY at 4:00 pm -- merely smiled in sympathy.

In contrast to these fragmented anecdotes is the fact that the only even vaguely-related results from a Google search of "Jean Isbel" reveal that it's the name of a MALE character in a Zane Grey novel called To the Last Man.

If you have any facts which support your theory I'll try to keep an open mind but I highly doubt there was ever any plan to change Shirley Temple's name to ANYthing and would instead think that the photo's strange inscription is due to simple human error.

Radio013copy1_zps2e816cee.jpg?t=13482370

No offense, Valeska. I just wanted to see this image in beautiful black-and-white, the way it was originally shot. This Lux Radio Theatre adaption of The Green Light was broadcast a mere 17 days after Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland had finished filming The Adventures of Robin Hood. With the film's release in May, Flynn was about to enter the peak period of his career.