Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CONTINUED NEXT WEEK.........

kenwal34

Ken, I have my Mickey Mouse lunchpail loaded up with Devil Dogs and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so I'm all set to enjoy your always highly enjoyable serial treats. Will we have an intermission where we can swallow yet more Twinkies and Butterfingers and Babe Ruth candybars? We need all this high energy stuff for the oncoming delights.

KING OF THE ROYAL MOUNTED...Last Chapter....Code of the Mounted.....King, in pursuit of Crandall,has his tire shot out in a running gun battle, He leaps to safety as the car goes over the embankment. Meanwhile,back at the post,Kettler,impersonating a government man,makes plans to move the compound X. Merritt agrees but insists on going along. Kettler is planning on loading the compound aboard a submarine,but tells Merritt that it will be taken to Ottawa.Along the way Merritt is forced at gunpoint to detour. He attempts to wreck the car with no success. Kettler is joined by Crandall and the other agents, with Merritt as hostage. Merritt manages to turn on the car radio.King overhears Kettlers plans and proceeds by plane to overtake Kettler. Flying low over a lake,King dives into the water.Seeing the compound X being unloaded,King intercepts one of the agents but is overpowered. He and Merritt are taken aboard a submarine along with Kettler and Crandall.Locked in a torpedo room, the pair make plans. King manages to free himself and Merritt. His plans are to send Merritt through a torpedo tube to safety. He will then strike the warhead of one of the torpedos and destroy the submarine and all aboard. Instead Merritt knocks King unconscious and sends him out the tube. Hearing the noise from the torpedo room, Kettler and the others rush in and try to deal with Merritt. Knowing what he has to do,Merritt strikes the warhead,destroying the sub and giving his life for his country.Merritt is awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery and is fondly remembered by King

and his sister Linda. The End.

Next week ! Chapter One of Jungle Girl.

Ken, that was indeed an exciting finale. Justice wins out, at least in the serials.

I'm looking forward to "Jungle Girl" next week, with the dynamic Nyoko. And I'll visualize the lovely Frances Gifford getting in and out of danger.

Mongo

Mongo,

As I watched Merritts[Robert Kellard]heroic sacrifice in todays serial,I recalled,as I'm sure you remember also ,that the kids [and some adults I might add],would cheer the demise of the enemy.King goes on to fight a different foe in the sequel King of the Mounted.

Ken.

Welcome! Im glad to see another fan of the serials. The serials usually ran 12,13, or 15 chapters.The first chapter would be the longest and the rest of the chapters would be of equal length. Jungle Girl which starts Saturday will run for 15 weeks. Hope you will enjoy it. Thanks for your kind words.

Ken.

Jungle Girl...A Republic serial in 15 chapters[1941]. Cast of characters....Nyoka Meredith[Francis Gifford], Jack Stanton[Tom Neal], John Meredith/Bradley Meredith[Trevor Bardette],Slick Latimer[Gerald Mohr],Curly Rogers[Eddie Acuff],Shamba[Frank Lackteen],Wakimbu[Tommy Cook.

Directed by William Witney and John English.

Chapter one... DEATH BY VOODOO.

Jack Stanton is flying Slick Latimer into a remote region of Africa to meet Doctor John Meredith. Natives spot the plane and start their war drums.Wakimbu and Nyoka[John Merediths daughter],see the plane and race to help,fearing for the occupants safety.Once on the ground, Stanton and Latimer are engaged in a battle with the natives. Stanton caught from behind with a native weapon, is knocked backward into a lake. He is saved by Nyoka. Latimer is taken to John Meredith and tells him that his brother is dying and needs to see him. John at first refuses ,but finally consents providing that Nyoka is never told about his twin.It was his brother that commited murder and caused John to go into exile.Going to the cave where a great treasure of diamonds are stored, John shows Jack and Nyoka a trap ,that when sprung,would sweep any intruders out of the cave to their deaths.Taking some of the diamonds for expenses,John prepares to leave when he discovers his lucky charm containing a picture of Nyoka is missing. Shamba the witch doctor had his man steal it for use in a spell to kill John Meredith.

Meanwhile,John meets his twin brother Bradley and find him to be ok and only interested in obtaing the diamond fortune . John refuses, threatens to tell police,and is killed by Latimer. They fly back to the island with Bradley posing as John..Shamba thinking that his spell has killed John,casts another trap to kill Nyoka .Jack and Curly intervene and save Nyoka,but Shamba escapes and heads for the cave to get an amulet,a sign of authority. Stanton and Nyoka follow but are intercepted by the Lion Men,guardians of the Amulet.Before Jack and Nyoka can get away, The Lion Men spring the trap hurling a wall of water through the tunnel and washing Jack and Nyoka out through an opening in the cave. And.......

Next week. Chapter 2...QUEEN OF BEASTS.

This serial is right up my alley Ken. I always enjoyed films with a jungle theme, especially when the actress was playing the hero.

I'm also glad that I can picture Frances Gifford as Nyoka and also the actors Tom Neal, Gerald Mohr, Eddie Acuff, Frank Lackteen and Tommy Cook (from "Tarzan and the Leopard Women").

"Death by Voodoo" is an exciting start and I'm looking forward to all 15 chapters. It's nice to be at the old Bijou once again.

Mongo

I simply love "Jungle Girl", especially with that dazzling Francis Gifford in the star role. And Tom Neal is certainly easy on the eyes, too. Okay, at the end of Chapter One I'm going to guess Tom and the jungle girl are hurled into the water but manage to swim to safety. Am I close? I haven't watched this one in a year or two. I need to replenish my Micky Mouse metal lunchbox with more Devil Dogs and Oreos.

Jungle Girl.....Chapter 2...Queen of Beasts...

The trap is sprung and Jack and Nyoka are swept out of the cave by a wall of water.Landing in a lake below,they survive and swim to safety.

Meanwhile,Latimer tells Bradley Meredith that they must get the amulet in order to get the diamomds.Unaware that her father is dead and believing Bradley is her father,she assures him that she will return the amulet.She and Wakimbu plan on making the natives believe that the Lion Goddess has returned to life. Dressed as the Lion Goddess,Nyoka confronts Shamba and demands the amulet. Shamba refuses,saying that first she must face a test of truth by fighting a lion. She wins,but in doing so is revealed to be Nyoka.

Shamba orders Nyoka to be sacrificed in the flames to the Lion Goddess. Hearing this,Jack and Curly race to the rescue.As they try in vain to reach Nyoka,Shamba pushes a lever sending Nyoka toward the raging fire. And...Next Week.. Chapter three...River of fire.

Ken, your breathless summary of Chapter One was so exciting that I dusted off my copy of "Jungle Girl" and am going to watch it again soon--as soon as I plow through my newly purchased Bela Lugosi Collection, the Hammer Horror Film collection and the Greta Garbo Signature collection. I thought Frances Gifford was a perfect chapter play actress. Is "Jungle Girl" the only one she made? I know Peggy Stewart, Ramsey Ames and Helen Talbot all starred in several Republic cliffhangers--and of course there was Linda Stirling and Lorna Gray and Louise Currie and...we could discuss the merits and demerits of these gals as a part of our Cliffhanger discussion.

paty,

Im glad to see that you are enjoying the serial!. You bring up a very interesting point for a new serial thread.The ladies you mentioned[and others] contributed a great deal to the serials.Also a discussion about the male leads,heroes and villians, are in order.It took a lot of people to turn out a quality serial. In the near future I'll try to get a new thread started along those lines with all contributions welcomed!As for Francis Gifford,my resource credits her with Jungle Girl as her only serial.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ken.

Jungle Girl....Chapter 3..River of fire.

Nyoka lies helpless on an altar.Shamba pushes a lever that will raise the altar and put Nyoka into the deadly flames. In the nick of time,Jack and Curly break down the door,enter the chamber and rescue Nyoka. The three just barely make it from the cave when Shamba and the Lion Men return.

Meanwhile back at the village,Nyoka assures Bradley that she will get the amulet.Bradley fears that their plan to get the diamonds will fall apart.Latimer assures him that by making a deal with Shamba,that they will still have the diamonds. Latimer meets with Shamba and tells him that he and the others will leave the area in exchange for the gems. Shamba agrees but Latimer must deliver Nyoka to him. With the help of some natives,Nyoka is captured.Wakimbu sees this and manages to free Nyoka.After a chase,Nyoka is recaptured and taken to Shamba.She is then tied between to trees.When the straps are cut,the trees will spring apart tearing Nyoka in half.

Wakimbu evades his persurers and tells Jack and Curly.They arrive just as the straps are about to be cut.Jack holds off the natives at gunpoint . Nyoka is freed and the three head for the swamp.The natives set fire to the oily water and....Chapter 4..Treachery.