Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your assessment of Tarkington and the novel Alice Adams is excellent, but it brings back the white wave of hatred I felt on finishing it some twenty years ago. Lord above us in heaven, *I HATE THAT F-ING BOOK.*

He could've used you as an editor.

it just occured to me: since everyone's gone so gaga for going back and fudging with Pride and Prejudice and Dracula and Wuthering Heights with sequels and re-boots and fan fic, someone should do a story called Malice Adams wherein Alice, in the tradition of Balzac's Cousin Bette systematically and methodically plots the destruction of all those around her. She, of course, succeeds utterly.

What think?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jul 17, 2012 5:01 PM

I think Drew Barrymore is a very good young guest host. She is intelligent, cute, and is good at analyzing films.

She and Mr. Osborne are very good together, especially when he tells her something she doesn't already know. She seems very interested in what he is saying, and he seems interested in what she is saying.

Sorry, finance. I disagree with about Drew. I think she's lovely to listen to and look at. I've enjoyed her time as co-host with RO. She's made some intelligent, insightful observations and it's obvious that RO thinks so. Fred, I'm with you on this one. :)

> {quote:title=ValeskaSuratt wrote:}{quote}AdW,

>

> You're a breath of fresh air in a hurricane of halitosis....

>

Well, I never ! I'll have you know I brush, floss, and visit the dentist on a regular basis. No halitosis here...

Maybe we should start a thread about dentist movies.

misswonderly wrote: Well, I never ! I'll have you know I brush, floss, and visit the dentist on a regular basis. No halitosis here...

Maybe we should start a thread about dentist movies.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Eeh! How about instead just combining all the different elements which have so far been introduced into this thread by everyone, MissW?!

And so, how does THIS sound to ya here?...

A remake of ALICE ADAMS, starring finance's "favorite" Drew Barrymore. BUT, in THIS one, she plays a social-climbing long-distance runner who gets drawn into the Blood Diamond trade, whereupon she's kidnapped by an evil dentist played by Christopher Walken(I figure he'd be pretty good in the Olivier part here) who keeps asking her if "It's safe?", while she's tied to a chair.

Yep! I think this has "big box office" written ALL over it, if ya ask ME!

(...well, at least I'll betcha finance wouldn't mind payin' to watch this and especially THAT particular scene more than a few times anyway...right finance ol' buddy?!) ;)

Oh, ok. I didnt get the drift. Veil will be shown a week from Sunday in the morning hours, FYI babe! I'll be watching for my George Brent study (but not live....)

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:

> }{quote}Maybe we should start a thread about dentist movies.

You mean like The Awful Tooth ... Hopalong Cavity ... The Drill of It All ... That's Dentertainment ?

Sorry, but they're just too painful to sit through.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}You forgot about Molarball. .....CACTUS FLOWER and THE IN-LAWS actually WERE dentist movies.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Edited by: finance on Jul 20, 2012 2:15 PM

That reminds me of a satirical piece written by Marshal Brickman for The New Yorker in 1977.

It was called Who's Who In the Cast and lampooned the arcane biographical information found in too many theater programs. The pertinent excerpt:

{font:Times New Roman}*ARNOLD BATFISH* (Author) spent several years as an advertising copywriter and burst upon the theatrical scene with a cathartic evening of one-acters: Spearmint, Doublemint, and Excremint, which won him both a Nudlicer and a Peavy. His dental trilogy, Drill, Fill and Rinse, Please, was hailed as the finest American dental writing in fifty years and was compared to Gogol’s The Overbite and Sophocles’ Oedipus in Pyorrhea. Mr. Batfish resides with his wife, Laura, and her wife, Leslie, at Nutmeat College, North Carolina, where he holds the Robert Goulet Chair of Dramaturgy.{font}

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}You forgot about Molarball. .....CACTUS FLOWER and THE IN-LAWS actually WERE dentist movies.

>

No other dentist movie can compare with the excellent *Eversmile, New Jersey*.