Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what was the first old movie you ever seen

TCMfan23

first talkie : Frankenstein 1931. i seen a picture of it in a book. showed it to my dad. my dad rented it for me to watched. scared the heck out of me. i think i was like 7 at the time.

first silent : Phantom of the opera - a silent version of the 1929 cut. I was around 10 at the time. I was into monster movies at the time.

For me it was obviouslyTthe Wizard of Oz, but then again I feel most kids have seen that once. I rememeber watching King Kong when I was in third grade, and The War Wagon from 1967 too. But the first movie that got me hooked on classics was Singin' in the Rain (still my all-time favorite).

That depends on what you mean by when I saw it. I have memories of seeing The Sound Of Music theatrically (not sure if it was the original 1965 release or a slightly later reissue), but I may or may not have seen that before Wizard Of Oz, which was probably the first old classic I saw on tv.

First silent...probably Phantom of The Opera, and probably the original longer 1925 cut.

Probably "King Kong." I also remember watching "Abott & Costello," "The Bowery Boys," and of course, "The Three Stooges" on TV on weekend afternoons with my Dad.

Edited by: dpompper on Jul 21, 2012 11:38 AM

Hmmm...let me think.

I think it was probably one of the Weismuller TARZAN movies they used to show on CKLW's "Million Dollar Movies" show in the mid '50's. Then some of the oldies on "Bill Kennedy Presents" on the same channel, like *Lady Be Good* , *Top Banana* , *The Fuller Brush Man* , *Top Hat* and others. Plenty of old LAUREL and HARDY on Saturday afternoons, along with the STOOGES and OUR GANG stuff. There was also some serial made in the '30's, I'm guessing, about a bunch of bi-plane pilots fighting in WWI, best remembering one of the planes painted up to look like it was covered in feathers. Have NO IDEA of the name of that serial.

The first silent I recall sitting through from end to end was a BUSTER KEATON thing called *One Man Band* . Blew my little mind!

Sepiatone

I don't remember exactly, but it was either Dracula's Daughter, which was on the old Shock Theater on Channel 7 (ABC) in NYC, after the Ben Hecht Show; or one of the early films on Channel 9's Million Dollar Movie -- The Spiral Staircase, Follow the Fleet, King Kong, or Navy Blues.

Yes, for most of is it was OZ as it will be for generations to come. The first 'old movie' I remember seeing as an adult was The Maltese Falcon. My mom's boyfriend was into Bogie and classic movies and since he control the TV watch this movie with them. From there I became a classic movie fan myself.

After OZ it was probably WHITE CHRISTMAS, which NBC used to show on SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES every year.

As far as a non-perennial goes, I'm going to guess it was probably IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING with Ray Milland and the great Paul Douglas and Ted de Corsia.

I could be wrong here finance, but I don't think this was what the OP had in mind when he asked, "What was the first old movie you ever saw?(sorry about takin' the liberty to correct your syntax here, TCMfan23...hey, just remember, IF either SprocketMan OR kriegerg would've done this, you probably wouldn't have gotten that whole "sorry about takin' the liberty" thing here, dude...so AT LEAST be thankful for THAT, eh?!) LOL

However, if TCMfan23's intent WAS to include those films which are NOW presently considered "old" and where the first movies we remember ever sawing..err, I mean SEEING, then the first "old" movie I remember seeing was probably DeMille's 1956 version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS in one of the beautiful old downtown Los Angeles movie palaces, and when I was 4 years old.

I especially recall the scene in which Moses(Chuck Heston, of course) has the workers stop moving one of the huge blocks of stone just before his birth mother(how coincidental, eh?! ;) ) is squished between two of 'em while they're building a pyramid, thus saving her life.

So hard for me to remember the very first one - I've seen so many old movies since I was young (thanks to the great New York TV stations that broadcast these). On the safe side I should say *The Wizard of Oz*, but I also watched a whole lot of silent comedies and monster movies since my brother was really into those. *King Kong* I saw at a very young age.

When I first started going to movie theaters, it was the Disney movies: *101 Dalmations*, *Bambi*, etc.

For me it would be one of *King Kong* (the local library showed it as part of one of its programs for kids) or *Calamity Jane* (my uncle and grandfather were projectionists and one summer evening one of them had a projector and screen set up in the backyard and showed it). I don't remember which came first.

*Calamity Jane* put me right off musicals and Doris Day.

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}For me it would be one of *King Kong* (the local library showed it as part of one of its programs for kids)

Coincidentally...although not the first time I ever saw it...I also remember going to see KING KONG at our local library on a Saturday afternoon. Also got to see FORBIDDEN PLANET the same way.

The First 'Old' movie I'd seen was 'House on Haunted Hill' (1959) with Vincent Price @ the 'Star & Garter Theatre in Chicago. I was Only 6 @ the time . . . and the Movie wasn't considered 'Old' yet .... not until wayyyyyyy later . . . silly.gif

But @ 6, I didn't remember anything else about the movie except 'The Old Blind Lady' . . .

Even when I watch this Movie now, she still 'Creeps' me out! shocked.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROg1w8OGeHHhCw7ACJlr6

> {quote:title=smitty1931 wrote:}{quote}

> A chapter of The Lone Ranger serial at the Boys Club on a Saturday in 1939. We sat on the floor to view this film. That was ahell of a long time ago.

Which one? There was a 1938 serial and one made a year later in 1939.

I'm not sure that's what he meant by "first old movie"...that sounds as though it was the first movie you ever saw, period. More likely is that he meant what would have been the first movie you saw that was older than yourself.

An old movie to me is any classic film that we've come to love on TCM. My earliest may have been King Kong from 1933 on tv's Million Dollar Movie on WOR-9 in N.Y. A film was repeated 6 nights a week so you got to see a film several times. The theme song for the show was Tara's Theme from Gone With The Wind. They showed almost all of the Fred and Ginger films and obscure ones like The Boy With Green Hair. MDM made many old movie fans of us decades before TCM.

One night in 1957 - I wasn't quite six years old yet - my mother suggested that rather than go upstairs to bed as Claude Kirshner would say at the end of "Terrytoon Circus" - that I might want to check out the program coming on next at 730pm.

My sister and I would watch "The Modern Farmer" if it meant staying up later than usual, so we checked out this movie from "the old days" as we used to refer to anything from my mother's youth. It was KING KONG and from then on, sis and I watched just about every "Million Dollar Movie" presentation on a Friday night.

Not that it had to be Friday, they showed the same movie M-F twice in a row in the evenings, and three times in a row on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Years later, I talked with someone who had worked at WOR for years, a film buff and author named Chris Steinbrunner. He told me that during its first week on the air, it was estimated that KING KONG was seen by over 80% of NYC's TV households.

That was because while each showing may have been eclipsed by the shows on the networks in the same time period, by the time you added up each of the 16 screenings, it had been seen by almost everyone who owned a TV set in the NYC area.

Archived