Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Had Marilyn Lived

Im4movies2

Had Marilyn survived what would have happend? She would have enrolled in a program to help her drug and health issues. Being "cured" she would have then slipped into quiet anonimity like Kim Novak, Bridget Bardot or Doris Day away from the spotlight for many years helping to save animals like dogs or cats. She may have gotten very heavy and extended her life into her 70's or 80's reclusive without interviews.

It's hard to predict the butterfly effects of altered history but what if she lived and a scandel broke out about her and JFK. The cause and effect could had prevented JFK from going to Dallas and his death avoided also.

Maybe her acting career cut short due to her personal problems and becomes a disliked has been?

Her untimely death made her a legend.

I just finished reading LEFTY, a biography of baseball Hall of Famer Lefty Gomez. Lefty said that Joe DiMaggio asked him at a San Francisco old timers game to stand up for him when he remarried Marilyn the following week. She died within a couple of days.

So I guess that might have been her immediate future and, if he had his way, she'd have gotten the heck out of Hollywood.

I think maybe Marilyn was too much of a "troubled soul" to have lived to long. She had such a rough, traumatic and very unstable childhood, that it (I believe) would have taken years of psychotherapy for her to just "let go of her past."

I know she did see a psychotherapist for a while, but I think he treated her more with medication,e.g. highly addictive drugs which didn't help her at all, but in fact made things worse.

She was not well liked by a lot of her co-stars, directors and others because of her constant tardiness to the set, or her forgetting of lines and towards the end always having one of the Strasberg's with her on set.(I think it was the wife of Lee Strasberg who was her acting coach.)

One would think that the Method form of acting would have been some sort of therapy to her, since she could recall memories from her childhood and deal with those memories in her portrayal of her characters she acted. Unfortunately it did see to work that way for her.

She was very beautiful and could act for sure, she just had too many "demons" in her life, and was in reality a "lost little girl."

This of course is IMHO, and I am sure there are many who disagree with me.

Thanks

Lori

Edited by: Lori3 on Aug 6, 2012 9:03 AM

Chances are it would have been TV Movies in the early 70s, LOVE BOAT appearances in the late 70s and a recurring role on DALLAS or DYNASTY in the 80s.

As far as theatrical movies go, maybe she would have had roles in the likes of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS or THE TOWERING INFERNO, sparred with Elizabeth Taylor in THE MIRROR CRACK'D, have been the aging floozy in FAREWELL, MY LOVELY, but that's about it.

Maybe her career would have gone the Tuesday Weld route. In the last 20 to 30 years she some intereseting film appearences, (Intimate Affairs, Thief, Once Upon A Time In America) and some other stuff not worth remembering.

If she lived I would have like to have thinked she would have gone the Shirley McClain Route, but I don't think that would have happened.

The extremely harsh bio on Joe claimed it but this bio Lefty, written by Lefty's daughter, is the first time I've seen confirmation that Joe was actually telling people it was going to happen.

I do know she had started seeing and phoning him again.

> {quote:title=Lori3 wrote:}{quote}I think maybe Marilyn was too much of a "troubled soul" to have lived to long. She had such a rough, traumatic and very unstable childhood, that it (I believe) would have taken years of psychotherapy for her to just "let go of her past."

>

> I know she did see a psychotherapist for a while, but I think he treated her more with medication,e.g. highly addictive drugs which didn't help her at all, but in fact made things worse.

>

>

> She was not well liked by a lot of her co-stars, directors and others because of her constant tardiness to the set, or her forgetting of lines and towards the end always having one of the Strasberg's with her on set.(I think it was the wife of Lee Strasberg who was her acting coach.)

>

>

> One would think that the Method form of acting would have been some sort of therapy to her, since she could recall memories from her childhood and deal with those memories in her portrayal of her characters she acted. Unfortunately it did see to work that way for her.

>

>

> She was very beautiful and could act for sure, she just had too many "demons" in her life, and was in reality a "lost little girl."

>

>

> This of course is IMHO, and I am sure there are many who disagree with me.

>

While Monroe's physical beauty almost certainly would have continued into her 40s and likely beyond (one can argue that the early '60s Marilyn was in some ways more ethereal than her '50s self), changing times and public tastes might have made movies difficult for her. Perhaps she could have adapted (something Jayne Mansfield, a charming lady but at best a Monroe parody, couldn't do as the '60s progressed; instead, she increasingly looked ludicrous).

Would Marilyn have had the humility to become a character actress, as one of her "sex symbol" contemporaries, Sheree North, did? I don't know if she could have, given her stature in the industry. I do sense that Monroe might have left acting entirely and took up some other activities. There's a lot to admire about Marilyn, as she strove to improve herself from her rough, impoverished background.

Some Hollywood what-might-have-beens are fairly easy to envision if you know something about the star; Jean Harlow, who enjoyed writing, might have left the biz to become an author, while Carole Lombard, who savored the entire movie-making business, might have concentrated on producing films and acted only occasionally. (Carole's modern, feminist approach to life arguably makes her more timeless than Marilyn; that might sound like heresy, but it's true and isn't meant as a putdown of Monroe. That Harlow and Lombard also left us too soon -- the lifespans of all three combined totaled less than a century -- turned them all into icons.)

As for Marilyn, she could have gone in several directions past 1962; the lady was still finding herself. Unfortunately, she could not overcome the demons which led to her often unprofessional behavior (being late to the set, etc.). I sort of wish she had lived 20 years earlier, when actresses generally had better film roles and certainly were more appreciated by studios. A 1930s Monroe would have been better taken care of by the studio powers that be.

There would certainly have been "ripple" effects. Perhaps, had she lived, she would have claimed there actually WASN'T anything between her and JFK, and several hyena like "authorities" wouldn't have amassed any wealth from books full of unconfirmed "facts". She'd be going on 87 by now, and might have wound up another Betty White. Her last appearance might have been on *Murder She Wrote* , or a commercial for adult incontinence products.

The possibilities are endless.

Sepiatone

I've oftened wondered what her 'Age Progression' would have looked like . . . Would she have been the type to try to keep that Plantinum blonde look OR strive to maintain that 'Open Eyed' look Or her 'Make Love to the Camera' look . . . My feelings on that is that I don't think she was the type to 'Bow out Gracefully' or 'Leave while you're still @ the Top' . . . I believe she would have 'dragged' her career until it was 'runned into the ground' . . . unless she had some very Strong, Wise and Mature people in her life to FIRMILY Guide and Direct her . . .

"You Left us TOO soon, Marilyn!" sad.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo4d2R6dJ8EKBuXJoe-zYimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe-Pwcro_qcxSeaaBtmTm

My feeling is that whatever her life became, it would have been more on her terms than ever before. At the time of her death, she had resigned with Twentieth Century-Fox (at a more generous salary) to complete "Something's Got To Give", from which she had been very publically fired. Yes, the blonde bombshell as a movie archetype was on the way out, but Marilyn had already demonstrated her ability to play against type, something others such as Jayne Mansfield had not been able to do. ("Single Room Furnished", anyone?) Add to that the tremendous audience good will toward her, particularly from women, and I think she would have had viable options for some time still, though a new generation of filmmakers was about to look elsewhere for its stars. I think she would have re-relocated eventually to New York City and continued her interest in stage acting, with or without Lee Strasberg. Maybe she could have worked up the nerve to appear live onstage or maybe not, but reports of scenes that she had done in her previous New York stay, particularly material from "A Streetcar Named Desire", suggest that she could do dramatic stage roles justice. Prior to her death, she had been in talks to do a version of "Rain" for television. If not that one, I think other projects like that would have materialized for her. Given her musical experience, it's entirely possible some sort of Broadway musical would have come together. People even more unlikely than Marilyn, such as Lauren Bacall, made that particular transition. Vegas would have been an obvious option. Someone already mentioned Shirley MacLaine and I think that's apt, as well as Lauren Bacall. Like them, I think Marilyn would have been open to working when she was wanted and would not have disgraced herself or disappointed us. I honestly believe that she had already done so much growing in one lifetime that she would have seen some of the fruits of that if she had lived. This will sound like wish-fulfillment to some, who think "demons" would have brought her down regardless. It's true; I would wish her a long and fulfilling life, as you would for anyone you love.

Thanks for that Youtube clip, mr 6666 . . .

That about sums it up about the possible 'Age Progression' look for Marilyn Monroe . . .

I know we all struggle to 'Hang Tight' to our looks as long as we can but, alas, gravity eventually gets to us and everything eventually goes 'south'! . . . except for Joan Rivers . . . she's really 'tightened up' on her facial look.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb-vP-eKNGGj2iczSa0qz

:( I did not know she had resigned with Fox and was going to complete the movie. I've seen what she had made at the time of the firing and based on that and she it would have been great. I've no quarrel with the finished Day/Garner version but a Monroe/Garner one-which he says was the original plan-would have been a delight.

*I did not know she had resigned with Fox and was going to complete the movie. I've seen what she had made at the time of the firing and based on that and she it would have been great. I've no quarrel with the finished Day/Garner version but a Monroe/Garner one-which he says was the original plan-would have been a delight.*

Yes, just days before her death she re-signed to complete SOMETHING;S GOT TO GIVE. Of course, it would not have been Garner, but the original star, Dean Martin, who bowed out after Marilyn's firing, stating that his contract called for him to costar with MM. And it would have been Cyd Charisse instead of Polly Bergen.

Still, I feel that she would have been acclaimed (again) for her comedy technique, as well as her ethereal beauty.

Beyond that, It's a hard call. I think she may or may not have done some of the projects that were being lined up for her, i.e. GOODBYE CHARLIE and THE STRIPPER. At any rate, she would have remained a star for awhile at the least. Even though her image would have fallen out of favor as th 60s wore on, she had some qualities that were forerunners to the ethos of the flower children. Don't know if she was equiped to handle aging, and she may have eventually committed suicide down the line; it seems like it was inevitable.