Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films I Will Not Watch

slayton, you needn't explain yourself to him.

Any film in which all but one of a group of unwitting people meet horrible deaths in isolated environments at the hands of an anonymous psychotic. I would watch one where all were killed, as that is what unwitting people deserve.

Hah, good one. I'll add any film in which an animal is killed, real or otherwise, but especially real.

{quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}and IIRC the *runner-up* kidnapped teenage girls,

What is this IIRC you post with now and then??

Sorry, I thought that was a universally known abbreviation by now among us internet zombies. It just means *"If I recall correctly".*

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> Sorry, I thought that was a universally known abbreviation by now among us internet zombies. It just means *"If I recall correctly".*

Thanks for the explanation.

It's not universally known by everyone ...I've never, ever seen it anywhere before, and you're the only person anywhere in the almost 15 years I've been online whom I've ever seen use it.

*{quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:*

*}{quote}Sorry, I thought that was a universally known abbreviation by now among us internet zombies. It just means* *"If I recall correctly".*

Thanks for the explanation.

It's not universally known by *everyone* ...I've never, ever seen it anywhere before, and you're the only person anywhere in the almost 15 years I've been online whom I've ever seen use it.

My only excuse here is that on the only other forum I participate in regularly (The Baseball Think Factory), "IIRC" is used so often by nearly everyone that it would seem positively weird to see it spelled out. Same with "AFAIC" (as far as I'm concerned), "AFAICR" (as far as I can remember), and probably a dozen or so others. What always confuses me are any sort of computer or technical jargon references, but then that's what google is for.

I have my limits as far as "texting" type abbreviations go...it really bothers me to no end when someone does most (if not all) of their message on an internet board in text-only abbreviations. I ran into someone elsewhere a few years back and got really P.O.'d at him because over half of what he wrote was in text-abbreviation...and I had NO idea what the hell he was saying. I posted a very angry response telling him to stop it because not only does everyone NOT understand all of it...but it was taking me way too long to read his posts because I was slowed down trying to figure out what the hell he was saying.

I have no patience with those who post almost entirely in text abbreviations...IMHO it's idiotic and stupid beyond belief, if not just uneducated. Use the WORDS for cryin' out loud. One went to school, didn't one? Or maybe not. SOME texting now and then (hell, I use a couple of things myself), but not ALL the time and not ENTIRELY texted.

Not disagreeing with your general dislike of abbreviations, but I'd honestly thought that based on my experience on that other forum I participate in, the meaning of "IIRC" was fairly well known. It's one of the relatively few such abbreviations I ever use.

I'll watch almost anything once. There are two categories of films I won't repeat view.

In the first category are films that are either too sad or claustrophobic or violent for me want to see them again. Old Yeller, Die Die My Darling, and Extremities come to mind. There are others, these are just examples.

The second category includes films that are bad but not so bad they are good. Most of the modern comic book films (Iron Man bored me to tears) and Avatar come to mind in this second category. I find such films boring.

Bad films I will watch again include 1996's "Independence Day" because it is just so bad it is actually funny.

only read the original post for this thread and I have to say that "The Aviator" is an excellent film and does not fall into any No Watch Category.

I do have films that I cannot watch that are disturbing for some reason. These are usually excellent films like....

Looking for Mr. Goodbar

The Deer Hunter

They Shoot Horses Don't They

I agree with whomever mentioned not being able to watch films wherein animals are abused, or worse.

On the other hand, if I'd known in advance about the dog fighting in "Amores Perros," I'd never have watched it -- and that would have been a shame because I liked the film.

I remember I delayed quite a while before finally seeing "Trainspotting." A friend at the time said I wouldn't like it because there's a bit in it about a baby that dies. When I did see it, that part didn't bother me at all.

Just call me Miss-placed Sensibilities, I suppose.

Some more I like to add to the list I previously posted.

"You Got Mail"

"Under The Tuscan Sun"

"Get Rich or Die Trying"

"Brady Bunch Movie"

"Daddy Day Care"

"Glitter" and "Showgirls"

Garbage on SyFy channel i.e. "Super Shark" and "Sharktopus"

>sez kriegerg69:

>Of course he does...I simply didn't understand if he was joking or being serious. I had the right to ask him that.

Yes, you do. And I don't mind replying. But I don't see that the two are exclusive. You can make a point and have fun at the same time.

>and Stephen444:

>I do have films that I cannot watch that are disturbing for some reason. These are usually excellent films like....Looking for Mr. Goodbar The Deer Hunter They Shoot Horses Don't They

I agree. There are films I like, but are hard for me to watch, too. Hey, that gives me an idea for another thread!

> Hah, good one. I'll add any film in which an animal is killed, real or otherwise, but especially real.

I love the scene in *Marnie* where Tippi Hedren misses a jump because she sees something red, causing her horse to be injured to the point that it's going to have to be put down. Marnie's screaming for somebody to shoot the horse is a hoot.

Of course, the whole movie is Hitchcock's great comedy, and Diane Baker is a lot of fun too. Who knew Hitchcock was so good at comedy? ;-)

Can't agree with The Brady Bunch Movie on this list. It's funny and, I think, successully pokes fun at this type of television. My sister actually thought this was going to be like the TV series and was disappointed when she discovered what it's real point of view was.

> {quote:title=Stephen444 wrote:}{quote}Can't agree with The Brady Bunch Movie on this list. It's funny and, I think, successully pokes fun at this type of television.

I agree...I really liked it. The critics even liked it and understood what the whole point of the movie was.

Satire.