Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When did they stop writing 'The End' at the end of films?

I watched HOUSE OF BAMBOO (1955) this morning. The titles do not begin until over two and a half minutes into the picture. So maybe Sam Fuller was the one who started the delayed opening credits, with Zanuck.

I usually sit through the entire credits (unless the movie is so bad, I cant wait to get outta there, which rarely happens) because I like to see what song/music credits are listed and where the locations are that were filmed and if the film has a soundtrack.........(sometimes I buy them).........

And I agree about the leisurely stroll out.......I'm usually the last to leave.........

Yes, that was funny! I somehow wound up seeing that movie. I had no idea that it was a movie aimed at teens, I thought it was some sort of espionage/sci fi film! (LMREO). I actually liked it, though if I had known beforehand.........

I watched HOUSE OF BAMBOO (1955) this morning. The titles do not begin until over two and a half minutes into the picture. So maybe Sam Fuller was the one who started the delayed opening credits, with Zanuck.

And don't forget The Steel Helmet from 1951, another great Fuller movie that opens with a closeup of a beat up infantry helmet that looks as if it's just sitting there on the ground, until it slowly rises up to reveal the very live soldier underneath it.

BTW House of Bamboo is a Fox movie that really needs a TCM screening. That may be Robert Ryan's best film, and that's saying a lot.

My wife and I usually wait out the credits, too. but she suffers from diabetic periphreal neuropathy, and can't walk too fast. It's better to wait than to have her hold up a crowd, or get knocked down by impatient, inconsiderate people.

The fact that many DO rush out during the closing credits makes the arguement that even the "best boy" likes to "get his due" a weak one. That nobody sticks around to acknowledge that due just makes the added time and expense to include all those names in the credits a huge waste.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}The fact that many DO rush out during the closing credits makes the arguement that even the "best boy" likes to "get his due" a weak one. That nobody sticks around to acknowledge that due just makes the added time and expense to include all those names in the credits a huge waste.

I usually stick through all the end credits of a movie, mostly to hear the music. However, I do think the inclusion of so MANY names is a bit ridiculous...it's likely they started doing that because the various unions lobbied and complained that all those people should be included.

You're right, however.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

> How many sit through them at home?

I generally do, but not by choice.

I rarely watch a movie as it's airing because my life doesn't fit into neat timetables. Also, I'll know if there's a power outage or cable dropout, and I don't bother starting a movie if it isn't all there.

So why do I watch credits? Generally, it's because I'm comfortable. Watching the credits lets me adjust to the idea that I'm going to have to move, even if it's just to pick up the remote, and it's justification for not kicking into high gear immediately.

John Landis in his heyday seemed particularly fond of the 'curtain call' end credit sequence. In *Trading Places*, the shot used for each performer was one where there were breaking up or smiling at the end of a take - all except Don Ameche. And in *Animal House,* if you did not stay to the end of the credits, you missed the wonderful bit where they added on to the 'When in Hollywood, visit the Universal Studio Tour', with 'ask for Babs'!

And of course, the Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker team practically put a patent on the 'inserting funny asides into the end credits' thing, the first, for *Airplane!*, being the best, The kicker at the end being, at the end of the standard copyright/all rights reserved notices, a big fat SO THERE!

And one of the nicest ways to end a movie, was with what they thought would the last STAR TREK movie with the original cast, *The Undiscovered Country* - after the Enterprise almost literally rides into the sunset, filling the screen with each original cast member 'signing' their name. Pretty effective...

i don't have to sit through them much anymore. the broadcast/cable station usually has a lightning fast roll of the credits and in some cases there's a split screen with the greased lightning roll on one half and the beginning of the next movie with the production/distribution/"a film by" credits on the other half. curiously, the two halves are sequenced to run about the same amount of time.

Most of the comments here are about sitting through or not sitting through the end credits while being at a theater.

How many sit through them at home?

Never, although out of some perverse archival instinct I do record them right down to where they show the final logo.

>I always stay to watch "The End" credits to listen to the film's song and to see how many Greek Americans were involved in the making of the film, i.e. those who didn't change their name.

Interesting comment. Thanks for sharing!

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

>

> As for watching end credits, sometimes I sit and stare at the screen as they roll - out of simple lazy unwillingness to stir myself. This is especially the case if there's entertaining music to listen to. Other times I fast forward to certain information - like cast lists or song titles.

>

That's pretty much what I do. If I liked the film, I'll watch them all, or at least FF> to the parts I'm interested in, including shooting locations. If film was crap, well, I'll just FF> all of the credits, after the cast, just to see if there was anything on the end.

This is the little thread that could. I thought I would get a few simple replies to the question in the original post. But it has evolved into folks sharing their views and stories about movie credits and what happens at the end of a film screening. I like that!