Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Dancer(s)

Guest Blackwell, Jackie

Speaking of Fred Astaire, I just caught the last five minutes of You Were Never Lovelier very early this morning. Was it just me, or did Rita Hayworth positively float when she danced with Astaire at the end of that movie? She had a blissful, rhapsodic quality to her dancing, especially with him--as though she was unaware of anything but the dance for that moment. An exceptionally beautiful sight.

Rita Hayworth has been mentioned a number of times recently.

During Robert Osborne's interview with Anthony Quinn earlier in the week, he showed a clip of Quinn and Rita Hayworth dancing the paso doble in the film "Blood and Sand" [a film that I should get around to watching].

What struck me about her dancing - and I think others could also cite examples - was that she seems to have a very natural agility and sense of rhythm, as if she was a person who loved to dance and was just good at it [without a lot of training]. I'd like to hear from anyone who could confirm or deny this.

I am always impressed by people with natural abilities, not that I don't respect dancers who are good by virtue of training.

For sure wordmaster she was a natural when it came to dancing .I loved her dancing in Gilda and there was a movie she did with Fred Astaire,the chemistry they had and the dancing was fantastic. The movie is called You Were Never Lovelier(1942) if you have not seen it ...Inglis

i agree; rita hayworth was the best female dancer. she grew up dancing with her father in nightclubs. gene kelly was the best male dancer. he is funner to look at than fred astaire; and he's just as good.

A dancing-related question that has been in the back of my mind...I'm sure someone could answer it.

I've seen clips of Cagney dancing in "Yankee Doodle Dandy" - is he wearing women's shoes [nothing wrong with it - just struck me as curious]? If so, why?

Small feet? Matched the outfit? Standard practice?

The shoes I recall seeing him wear in one clip had a one-inch [or so] heel on them - they might've had lifts in them as well [it wouldn't surprise me if that were true]...

He was striding across the stage, singing "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy..." and you can clearly see them as he stops at one side of the stage...

Anyway, just idle curiosity...

• 1 month later...

Moira Shearer in the tragic story the Red Shoes.... besides her gorgeous red hair.... her dancing for is full of feeling and soul.

Fred Astair and Eleanor Powell.... Broadway Meledy of 1940. The finale tap dance sequence on that polished floor is hard to beat. It is one of my all time favorites

Fred and Ginger ... in any movie.... except in Irene and Vernon Castle!!!

Gene Kelly in anything

James Cagney in Dames, Yankee Doodle Dandy

And , oh yes .... I just love Ray Bolger...... full of extreme energy and fun!!!

My favorite dancer is, without a doubt: Eleanor Powell!!

I also love Astaire and Rogers but Eleanor just can't be beat.

Honestly, she is the most graceful, agile, and well trained dancer. Especialy since she choreographs her own routines. Anyone else agree with me? Anyone who doesn't like her dancing just doesn't understand dance. I myself am a tap dancer and I'm telling you, what she does is very profesional. Bojangles himself gave her the title "Queen of Tap". These movie big-wigs need to get her movies out on DVD!

I'll start with the men......There is no other man as light on his feet as was Fred Astaire,Gene Kelly was just such a powerful dancer who at the same time had good looks and boyish charm (what Astaire lacked).Donald O'Connell was somewhat in between Astaire and Kelly, while he was light on his feet, like Astaire, he could also be powerful, like Kelly.

As for the women though I really like the obvious choices of Hayworth and Rogers and Cyd I also like Leslie Caron, Ann-Margaret and Juliet Prowse.

I'm always trying to get people to reconsider the old cliche that Fred Astaire was not as masculine a dancer as Gene Kelly. He wasn't as macho a dancer, I'll grant, but he had a very powerful style in his own right. Astaire may not have been conventionally good-looking, but he has boyish charm in spades, and I know lots of women who find him very attractive. Donald O'Connor is cute, too, and just a terrific acrobatic tapper.

> I'll start with the men......There is no other man as

> light on his feet as was Fred Astaire,Gene Kelly was

> just such a powerful dancer who at the same time had

> good looks and boyish charm (what Astaire

> lacked).Donald O'Connell was somewhat in between

> Astaire and Kelly, while he was light on his feet,

> like Astaire, he could also be powerful, like Kelly.