Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alfred Hitchcock Birthday Today

I would love to see several of his early British films on TCM, such as BLACKMAIL.

Several of them are real classics.

The Skin Game is very interesting, with an unusual plot.

Also:

1936 Sabotage

1936 Secret Agent

1935 The 39 Steps

1934 The Man Who Knew Too Much

I haven't seen these classics on TCM in many years. There are far more Elvis films now on TCM than classic Hitchcock films.

Howdy,

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}...and none of his films are scheduled on TCM? Shameful. :(

Oh well, who knows why TCM schedules films (besides on birthdays)?? :|

No disrespect to Deborah Kerr and her fans, but her birthday is on September 30.

So who knows. We're just little people on the message board and can't be expected to know all the reasons why TCM does what it does??

As for "Blackmail," it is regarded by many film historians as a landmark early film by Hitchcock.

I know the BFI (British Film Institute) has restored it (with funding from donors including the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and Martin Scorsese, among many others).

Not sure who owns the rights currently?? Maybe BFI?? Or Hitchcock family???

Anyway, you can view an interesting screen test featuring Hitchcock and the star of "Blackmail," Anny Ondra, at the link to follow below.

Ondra was one of Hitchcock's first blonde heroines and there were many other Hitchcock "firsts" in this film. Interestingly, in the sound version of the film, Ondra's voice had to be dubbed by English actress Joan Barry. In the following video you can judge Miss Ondra's voice for yourselves.

Maybe today her accent would be acceptable. On the video, you also get a sense of Hitchcock's naughty sense of humour :) :

Dobbs-for someone who seems to watch (and post about) TCM 24/7/365, how do you keep missing films that they've shown? I know the 34 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much has been on a few times in the last couple of years, and I'm pretty positive Sabotage has been on sometime this year. I'll concede on the others, although The 39 Steps is on Encore fairly regularly.

I've seen the Onda screentest.

TCM used to show these classic Hitchcock films, years ago.

Another one is:

1937 *Young and Innocent* (AKA: The Girl Was Young), which is a classic Hitchcock thriller. A young man falsely accused of murder, flees from police. A young lady encounters him when he steals her car. He holds her captive. Her father is Chief of Police. She hates him at first but finally begins to like him, and then she helps him continue to escape.

A really interesting scene in this film is when she drives the car into an old mine shaft to hide it, and immediately the car crashes through the floor, goes down several levels, leaving her in great danger. And then there is the missing raincoat they must track down, because now the real murderer has it, and he's the guy with the twitching eyes who they must find.

There are many sequences in this film that would later turn up again in other well known Hitchcock classics. Hitchcock fans will recognize many of them.

> TCM used to show these classic Hitchcock films, years ago.

I don't know anything about that. All I know is that the BFI (British Film Institute) has restored nine (Hitchcock 9) silent films to their original 1920s versions:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/rescue-hitchcock-9

Another article here about the "9":

http://www.historytoday.com/blog/2011/08/rescue-hitchcock-9

The "Hitchcock 9" are:

* "The Pleasure Garden" (1925)

* "The Lodger" (1926)

* "The Ring" (1927)

* "Downhill" (1927)

* "Easy Virtue" (1927)

* "The Farmer's Wife" (1927)

* "Champagne" (1928)

* "The Manxman" (1929)

* "Blackmail" (1929)

TCM needs to have an early-Hitchcock festival once a year, maybe one film a night, in prime time, for a week or two.

Elvis gets two all-day festivals a year, plus a couple of days with three of his films in prime time. He seems to have 4 birthdays a year.

You mean that the old classic movie channel that I am paying more to receive, is not showing any of the old Hitchcock films anymore, and Directv wants me to pay even more money to receive Encore, so I can see the old Hitchcock films that I used to see on TCM?

For a week TCM has been promoting an Elvis film festival day and an Elvis made-for-TV documentary.

What ever happend to the old Classic TCM? Where are all the old Hitchcock movies we used to see on TCM? And the Charlie Chan movies we used to see on TCM.

I am Borg. I live in TCM Message Board Matrix...

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}Dobbs-for someone who seems to watch (and post about) TCM 24/7/365, how do you keep missing films that they've shown?

Yes, message board very addictive. But I'm trying to cut back... (And I just joined it!)

Moderation is the key...

Don't think I'll ever get up into the thousands of posts like some of the oldtimers on the message board.

*"You mean that the old classic movie channel that I am paying more to receive, is not showing any of the old Hitchcock films anymore, and Directv wants me to pay even more money to receive Encore, so I can see the old Hitchcock films that I used to see on TCM?"* - FCD

Encore has been showing many of the later Hitchcock films for quite awhile now - mostly from the mid-fifties onward. I noticed *Frenzy* was being shown this past weekend and *Vertigo*, among others, is showing tonight.

TCM doesn't keep the Hitchcock library under perpetual rental. The Universal (and other) Hitchcock titles come and go from TCM every few years. The films could return to the channel as soon as next year.

Over the past few years, the Starz/Encore channels have begun to invest in renting many more classic films from the distributors. Encore used to present a few classics every month. I know I recorded *Twentieth Century* and *Born Yesterday* off Encore before TCM ever showed the films. But this practice stopped in the early 2000's.

I don't know why they are adding "classic" titles to their offerings again now. Maybe it is cheaper to rent the classic *Double Indemnity* than, say, *Body Heat*, a film one would expect to see on Encore. Maybe the channels believe offering some TCM-style "classics" is a way to get new subscribers.

Either way, TCM does have competition now for some classic film titles. Not a big deal. If *Rear Window* and *Shadow Of A Doubt* are on Encore for a year or so, it is not permanent. Rest assured those titles will return again to TCM.

In the mean time, TCM is spending that "Hitchcock money" on getting films from 20th Century Fox that the channel has never shown before. I'll take that trade-off.

Kyle In Hollywood

Oh Boy, I just saw a promo that says TCM is going to feed us North by Northwest again on Sunday, in prime time.

Why don't they just keep this Summer Under the Stars going into Fall Under the Stars, and Winter Under the Stars, and keep the 4:3s coming at us night and day?

> For a week TCM has been promoting an Elvis film festival day and an Elvis made-for-TV documentary.

FredC,

Not sure why you think *Elvis On Tour*, which is part of Elvis' SUTS day, is a made-for-TV documentary but it's not.

It's a theatrical concert documentary that was the follow-up to the very successful *Elvis: That's the Way It Is* concert documentary. Both of those documentaries were released in theaters. They didn't come to television until some time later.

Elvis did make two made-for-tv concert documentaries, *Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii* and *Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii-Dress Rehearsal* but neither of those films are part of Elvis' SUTS day.

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}I am Borg. I live in TCM Message Board Matrix...

>

>

>

> Yes, message board very addictive. But I'm trying to cut back... (And I just joined it!)

> Moderation is the key...

>

> Don't think I'll ever get up into the thousands of posts like some of the oldtimers on the message board.

>

"Resistance Is Futile!" :D

I looked it up and I see it was made by MGM for theatrical distribution before it was on TV. :)

Is this an old MGM classic movie from the Golden Age of Hollywood?? :)

Evis was NEVER a "movie star".

He was a **** singer from Mississippi, who was loved by millions of young rock and roll girls and middle-aged women back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and by a lot of older women today.

He never was on the level of Spencer Tracy, Robert Mitchum, Ronald Coleman, etc.

Encore Mysteries has been showing Hitchcock films for a couple weeks now (birthday tie in). They arent letterboxed, but at least no commercials. I didnt catch Frenzy. Wonder if that was the edited for tv version.........

Yup, all true. And if you don't see it the first 50 times on Encore and the other overpriced pay channels, you can see it the next 150 times they repeat it throughout a month.

Hey, my phone now internet now television company (FIOS the crooks) is charging me *more* for my phone this month. How do I NOT pay more for my phone?

Get a new and unimproved phone service (cheaper to them, no doubt) that will go off my router, go out when the power goes out, get a backup battery service, AND............I have to dial a freaking '1' everytime I make a call.

The other price-fixed monopoly, Cablevision the crooks, has the very.same.plan. So I can't switch to them without the same aggravation.

Oh yeah, technology is grand. It could be, if greedy wankers weren't in charge of the world.

Turner CLASSIC Movies is gone, Fred. They throw crumbs to those of us who remember what TCM USED to be like, but by and large, most of the audience likes drek similar to Evil Under The Sun.

Think Turner CURRENT Movies and your head won't explode.

Thanks for your post. Very informative...

Does make me wonder if it is cheaper to buy your favourite films on DVD and then watch them whenever rather than paying big bucks to subscribe to cable and speciality channels???

I don't know about the US, but in Canadaland cable and speciality TV channels are expensive and they seem to keep getting more expensive...

In Canada, TCM on cable comes with an added tier of TV channels you pay more for, I think...

Nice photo... :) You should send to BFI...

BFI (British Film Institute) page on Facebook celebrating the birthday today of Hitchcock's lifelong partner, Alma Reville: http://www.facebook.com/BritishFilmInstitute

You can also view a video of Hitch paying tribute to his wife on this BFI page here:

http://explore.bfi.org.uk/39steps#/?item=14#tribute

Happy B-day, Madame Alma!!

P.S. Regarding controversy about "Vertigo" being chosen as greatest film of all time in the BFI magazine survey of international film critics (done every ten years), I think it helps explain the choice to know that this year is the year of Hitchcock at the BFI. They've restored many of his older films, and reintroduced them to the public, and they have a major exhibition this year that's ongoing called "The Genius of Hitchcock." So I think the very high profile Hitchcock has had this year helps explain the choice of "Vertigo."