Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieGal53

Robert Osborne's Intro's/Exits

Are they being broadcast in true HD now instead of upconverting? The reason I ask is because Mr. Osborne was in porportion to my HD tv as opposed to previous intro's/exits that were 4:3 ratio.

We discussed this last week.

Seems that they are 4:3 intros, usually when the film is going to be old and 4:3, and they are 16:9 intros, when the film is newer and is going to be 16:9 and letterboxed.

Seems they are photographed in 4:3, then masked down for letterbox. The black strips are added at the top and bottom, and you are supposed to pretend that is "normal", and you are supposed to click on your TV's remote control and enlarge the picture size to 16:9.

Why? I don't know. I get tired of switching my TV back and forth, so I just leave it on 4:3 all the time. It is funny to see those black crop bars pop up when he's introducing a newer wide-screen film.

Fred -

I hate to get into this again but last night *ALL* the intros and wrap-ups were letterboxed and all the movies were 4:3.

All of Ben's intros have been letterboxed regardless of the film's aspect ratio.

I mention this purely for point of reference to those who care about this thread.

Yancey

Ok, Yancy, thanks for the information. :)

Last week or before, I recorded 2 wide screen Japanese movies with letterboxed intros, and a day or so later I recorded an old b&w movie from 1933 that had a 4:3 intro. It was for Night Flight, which I known was a NEW intro, since that was the first time TCM has shown the movie.

But now, based on what you say, I don't know what to think.

Thanks Fred and all who responded to my question. I haven't been on the message board in awhile. My laptop took a tumble and stopped working. Thankfully, it could be repaired so here I am.

In my neck of the woods TCM wasn't in letterbox last night. Robert's intro's were broadcast as a small little square with black all way round . Once I hit the picture size on the remote he was in glorious 16:9. Not stretched but perfect proportion. Ben's intro's also come in this way as well on my cable system. .

I wait for the day when TCM is fully HD. Hopefully it will be in our lifetime. :)