Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VERTIGO BLOOPERS

Hibi

In regard to Vertigo being picked the best film of all time in the recent poll, I thought I'd start a thread on all the plot points in the film that dont make much sense (not so much bloopers). I just saw the film again and the more you view it, the more things stand out. Anyone want to join in?

First of all, why would anyone (SPOILERS!) go to all the trouble to concoct such a long involved murder plot (where so many things could go wrong) and involving someone you could not trust to spill the beans at some point when something simpler could have worked so much more easily.........

As far as individual points, I could name many, but the one that sticks out the most for me is the hotel scene with Ellen Corby. How did Madelyn get past her (and out) w/out her seeing? Did she pay her off? And how was the key still on the ring?

There are any number of inconsistencies in this film, and I will let others chirp in. One that occurs to me is when the real Mrs. Elster dies. It is reasonable to think her obit and photo would be in a paper, and it is reasonable to think that Scotty would read that paper, given his feelings. And it is reasonable to think he would say, "hey, that's not the same woman!" So much for being reasonable.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> As far as individual points, I could name many, but the one that sticks out the most for me is the hotel scene with Ellen Corby. How did Madelyn get past her (and out) w/out her seeing? Did she pay her off? And how was the key still on the ring?

Right away, I figured she must have gone down the fire escape. Or, perhaps a back stairs, or service elevator. Also, she could easily have had a copy of her room key made. She is playing her part, being elusive, and hard to keep track of.

It seems to me that the two sales ladies at the same expensive dress store, would have noticed selling three identical gray suits to the blonde Elster dame and the two identical other blonde look-alike dames, both before and after the Elster dame was killed.

By the way, Jean Corbett played the real Mrs. Elster:

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Thriller/VertigoMoord.asp

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Aug 14, 2012 8:45 PM

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}Rich,

>

> What if Scotty is in a coma and the rest of the movie is just his dream?

That would not explain Vertigo.

However, if you replace Scotty with Criswell, that would explain Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Good point on the key. It was a McGuffin.

And how fortunate no one else was there when Judy jumped in the water.

I guess it's just one of those books for men that looks better on film than it does on the page.

One that occurs to me is when the real Mrs. Elster dies

Doh, I missed that completely. What kills me is him having dinner out - no one remembered what his wife looked like?

What if Scotty is in a coma

I like that. It would explain the compliant, stupid Judy who falls so immediately in love with a bullying bore. I'm sure Scotty was a legend in his own narcissistic mind, and hopefully women of 1958 weren't THAT stupid.

Or were they?...............................

The biggest gaps in logic are these:

Gavin Elster hires Judy to impersonate the real Madeleine Elster. Once he throws her off the mission belltower he makes three mistakes:

1.) He leaves Judy alive (c'mon, Gavin, you've now got a murder rap hanging over your head. The state can only hang you once, so why not kill Judy, too, since she was in on the plot and is the only one who can finger you. Like everyone else, even if the police never find her, she's a poor girl who can use the money, and everybody has his or her price).

2.) Elster not only leaves Judy alive, but living in the same city as Scottie Ferguson. San Francisco in the late 1950's had a population of about three-quarters of a million but, surrounded on three sides by water, it was, and still is, quite compact -- a great place for running into people you know whether you want to or not.

3.) Elster allows Judy to keep Carlotta's necklace (or, at least, doesn't bother to keep track of it). Since its design is quite distinctive and obviously matches the one depicted on Carlotta's portrait hanging in the Palace of the Legion of Honor museum, only a nitwit would fail to realize it's gold-plated trouble. Considering that the Bay Area conveniently provides all those long bridges off of which one can toss incriminating evidence with little or no chance of its ever being found, there's simply no excuse.

Lastly, the very idea that Elster would concoct a murder plot entirely dependent on his knowledge of Scottie's experiences during the rooftop chase and subseqent vertigo is pretty absurd. Trusting his scheme to the vagaries of Scottie's inner-ear problems is like trying to make a good souffle in between the roar of passing elevated subway trains.

Another one. How does Scotty get his car back after Kim takes a dive? They both drive to the bridge. He couldnt have driven both cars back............The next day he's following her (in his car) back to his place............

Yeah, that part was fortunate (no one being around). But he could've explained away the fake Kim as someone else when dining out. He only told Scotty it was his wife...And it was already noted that Kim was falling for Scotty before the fall, so that part I could buy.............

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> What if Scotty was in a coma?

>

> THAT would mean he was watching *Vertigo* !

>

>

> And the movie was #1 in ONE poll. There IS no "the poll".

>

First, there are SparkNotes for "Vertigo." I don't know if they're any good or not? But they may answer your concerns there. A quick glimpse shows they deal with the influences of Greek and Roman Mythology in the film. Check it out:

http://www.sparknotes.com/film/vertigo/

Second, the BFI survey for their magazine (done every decade), having chosen "Vertigo" as the greatest film, I believe was heavily influenced by this being the year of Hitchcock at the BFI.

As I commented in another post, the BFI has restored and reintroduced many Hitchcock films to the public this year. There is also a major ongoing exhibition this year called "The Genius of Hitchcock" at the BFI. So Hitch has had a very high profile this year and I think that is why "Vertigo" was chosen by the critics surveyed.

The BFI survey is here (from "Sight & Sound"):

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-sound-magazine/polls-surveys/greatest-films-all-time-2012

Sprocket_Man, Your gaps in logic are reasonable, but I can gloss over most of them, with suspension of disbelief, and knowing that people often don't do the logical thing.

I'd boil it down to two flaws. As you said, surely, he wouldn't leave her living in the same city. And, Judy - what was she thinking, when she put on the broach? She had to know that Jimmy would recognize it. Or, was she subconsciously wanting him to realize who she was?

It would make more sense if he was killing his wife so he could HAVE Judy, not casting her aside. What woman with any sense would help some guy kill off his rich wife and then let him have all the spoils??? (I know, Judy doesnt have much sense!)...

(I know, Judy doesnt have much sense!)...

Sadly, as written, no she doesn't. But the words in her mouth were put there by men. What a surprise.

If I had written her part, both Gavin and Scotty would be dead, and Hitch wouldn't have made the movie, and it wouldn't have been tops in the charts.

Or, if that wasn't possible, there could have been a Vertigo II! (exclamation courtesy of marketing). Scotty would be tried as an accessory after the fact (which also applied to Judy, if she HAD any sense she would have known that and turned in Gavin) and Gavin would have gone down for murder and the movie would have ended with both of them being fried. Hitch wouldn't have directed it, since he was a woman hater, but if Alien can get 7 iterations, Vertigo could have satisfied the women in the audience with brains. I bet Ida Lupino would have directed it and done a darned fine job.

Come to think of it, when did Hitch ever have a stupid man die in his movies?

The guy in Rope? I don't know anything about him, other than he chose his friends badly.

Lloyd Nolan in Saboteur? Oooooh, he was a bad, bad man and just had to die. He was bad, right?

Sure, Sidney killed Homolka in Sabotage, but then Hitch got fat and weird later on.

Counting all the women in Frenzy, plus Judy and Mrs. Gavin, I think the dead stupid women far outnumber the dead stupid men in the women hating Hitchcock movies.

Yup.

willbefree25 wrote ~~

{ . . . I like that. It would explain the compliant, stupid Judy who falls so immediately in love with a bullying bore. I'm sure Scotty was a legend in his own narcissistic mind, and hopefully women of 1958 weren't THAT stupid . . . }

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think it was Just JUDY . . . with her comment to Scotty in her Hotel Room:

". . . If I let you Change me, will that do it ? . . . Will you LOVE Me ? . . . "

But, then again, I guess it's like you've said, WillbeFree . . .

. . . the words in her mouth were put there by men . . . plain.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2f3Mki_DawL2T3Ee0sbb