Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SUTS actor/actress frequency lists

> {quote:title=Mr_Blandings wrote:}{quote}

>

> Actually, as I check now, TCM is dedicating a morning to her on Sept. 13th in honor of her birthday, and guess what? They're showing The Secret Heart, It Happened One Night, Parrish, Cleopatra, Without Reservations, It's A Wonderful World, and Palm Beach Story! Granted, I like all of those picks except Parrish (in which Claudette is forced to play second fiddle to the likes of Troy Donahue), but there are a whole slew of her films that I haven't seen on TCM--like Tovarich, Bride for Sale, Practically Yours, and Family Honeymoon. And I know for a fact TCM owns the rights to some of those since the latter two are being sold on DVD as part of TCMs Colbert/MacMurray collection!)

>

I've only seen Claudette Colbert in one movie being such a classic newb and she's in my top ten of actresses so that day will be a treat for me but I could see how someone who watches TCM everyday would get sick of the same movies..

one of the 3 good SUTS days left. Thank you, TCM. William Powell and Kay Francis, such fun so far, even if I have already seen it.

BTW, hope someone owned that 28 carat diamond irl and paid only $50K for it. It would now be worth almost 2 million.

Enjoy the day with real actors who are real stars.

Actually, Without Reservations is pretty bad too.

Sometimes I wish they would skip the tributes if it means padding the schedule with films that would send said deceased star spinning straight from Forest Lawn to China if they knew they'd be aired as part of a "career retrospective."

But...

Every time I get kinda peeved with the scheduling choices, I do remind myself that the past 18 months have seen a real improvement in quality on TCM, a lot of Fox (and Universal) films have been injected into the mix, there seems to have been some backing off on the heavy reliance on "the usual suspects" (or at least, they've aired more during the graveyard shift hours) and (most especially) there have been *a lot of premieres of heretofore rare and unseen titles that I never thought I'd get the chance to check out.*

Someone in the programming and/or legal departments has been working really hard in the past year and a half, and even if 90% of the SUTS choices this year are repeats from previous years, there have been a lot of premieres and fresh choices contained therein: from Night Flight during Lionel Barrymore's day to Mohammed (sic?) last night for Anthony Quinn day, to the fact that Marilyn Monroe was finally included for the first time in this festival on the 50th anniversary of her death.

Also also, remind yourself that TCM does what they do with no ad revenue, which is something I become increasingly grateful for every time I'm flipping around the other channels to see what else is on and- without fail- run into *nothing but commercials*. (Also also, have you noticed how obnoxiously invasive online advertising has become?)

There's one thing TCM could do to cut costs and free-up some revenue for more new stuff, but every time I bring it up, major-league kerfuffery breaks out, things go off the tracks and padlocks get snapped faster than you can say From Here to Eternity...

I will say this though, I do wish the people who wrote the copy for Osborne and that other guy to recite in their intro/outros would step up their efforts, work some new information in and FACT CHECK on occasion.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Aug 21, 2012 8:45 AM

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}Mr. B, keep an eye out for Sam Levene when he's the head copper on the scene. He snaps, crackles, and pops.

Done a lot of serials, then, has he? Get it? Cereals? Snap, crackle, and ...

Never mind. Sorry. It's late ...

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote: }{quote}List singers who can act as well as sing. Surprisingly to me: Harry Connick, Jr.

I totally agree!

> {quote:title=Lazyking wrote:}{quote}I've only seen Claudette Colbert in one movie being such a classic newb and she's in my top ten of actresses so that day will be a treat for me but I could see how someone who watches TCM everyday would get sick of the same movies..

The first time I saw a Claudette Colbert movie was nearly 25 years ago and the movie was "It Happened One Night" (there weren't a lot of classic movies in the video stores back then, mainly just the Oscar winners). I thought it was a good movie but I didn't think of Claudette Colbert again until many years later when I bought "So Proudly We Hail!" which I did mainly because I wanted to see George Reeves in it (I'm a huge fan of the Adventures of Superman TV show).

It wasn't until last year, on a second or third viewing of that movie, that I decided to check out more from Claudette Colbert's filmography. I purchased a copy of "No Time For Love" online because it looked fun, plus Fred MacMurray was in it and I liked him in the few movies I'd seen of his. My wife and I really enjoyed "No Time For Love," in particular Claudette's acting style in a comedy. When we'd heard really great things about her film "Midnight," we purchased that one, too, and totally loved it. The next purchase was an entire Claudette Colbert collection of six movies+,+ and then as many films of hers as could be purchased. Any I couldn't buy I managed to record off of TCM, and any I couldn't record I tracked down to watch on YouTube.

Within the course of a single year I went from someone with only a casual knowledge of Ms. Colbert to someone who's so far seen 47 out of the 63 films she's made (and at 75%, that's the highest percentage I've seen from anyone's catalogue of films). I've also read as many biographies on her as I could get ahold of. She went from maybe a top 50 favorite classic film star for me to number one pretty much instantaneously.

So basically what I'm trying to say, Lazyking, is that it doesn't take long for anyone to go from a "newb" to "maven" on any particular subject provided you've got the interest and motivation. I don't watch TCM every day, but I do use the schedules to plan ahead and record movies that look like they might be could. And it just goes to show the importance of TCM showing variety in their programming, because there really are a lot more actors out there to discover than you might think at first ... and that means the possibility of discovering a new top favorite. :)

Cereal, serial, I get it! :)

So true on Claudette. As much as I don't like Gable, that's how much I liked her in IHON. Then MDM or TLLS ran No Time For Love late one night, and that was another hook for Colbert. It is a little shown movie, and I missed it on TCM recently.

Midnight is a charmer.

I don't record anymore, but now that I no longer work for da man, I get to watch all day marathons, provided they're not Presley or Caan or Cooper or Wayne. But you are correct, all it takes is a healthy obsession with movies and access to TCM when they're being classic to realize what a treasure trove real actors, who by all rights thought they were just 'doing their jobs', left behind for movie fans to savor 50 and 70 and 100 years later.

Would that mere mortals or Kim Kardashian could say the same. Look, up in the sky.............

Do you believe he was murdered? I do.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}Actually, Without Reservations is pretty bad too.

I think it's only half-bad ... the half with John Wayne in it! ;)

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}TCM does what they do with no ad revenue, which is something I become increasingly grateful for every time I'm flipping around the other channels to see what else is on and- without fail- run into *nothing but commercials*. (Also also, have you noticed how obnoxiously invasive online advertising has become?)

Very true; this fact must be appreciated. And also spot-on about online ads, which now are tailored to cross-reference the subject you are looking up with "suggestions" of products they think you might like ... and they hardly ever are. Obnoxious is right. And the stench of corporate desperation is palpable.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}There's one thing TCM could do to cut costs and free-up some revenue for more new stuff, but every time I bring it up, major-league kerfuffery breaks out, things go off the tracks and padlocks get snapped faster than you can say From Here to Eternity...

At the risk of stirring up another brouhaha, Addison, now you've piqued my curiosity as to what that one thing might be! I must have missed it. Perhaps if you whisper it or send me a PM ...? :)

Obnoxious is right. And the stench of corporate desperation is palpable.

Ain't that the truth, Mr.B. I bother with Twitter just to tell da man that I will go out of my way not to buy their product since they intrude on my space. Nothing stenches more than corporate greed.

A new tactic is side-bar ads. See those side-bars to the left and right of you? If TCM were like the rest, they would be chock-a-block with ugly faces and uglier words, some of them moving, giving you a headache or an epileptic fit right now. On a site I like, I've trained myself to have tunnel vision. It is truly disgusting.

I 'think' Addison means the adverts between the movies, as FOX used to do before they went to Satan. Ooops, scratch that, I meant went to Akin. Claude, of course. :) :) :) :) :)

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}Cereal, serial, I get it! :)

Yay! Someone else who shares my appreciation of terrible puns! :^0

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}But you are correct, all it takes is a healthy obsession with movies and access to TCM when they're being classic to realize what a treasure trove real actors, who by all rights thought they were just 'doing their jobs', left behind for movie fans to savor 50 and 70 and 100 years later.

Exactly. As the song goes, they worked hard for the money back then, and it payed off in terms of leaving behind a great legacy. Nearly all my favorite actors have now passed on to a better world ...I do wonder sometimes if movies today will be as revered as the classics 50 years from now.

It seems hard to believe with the way modern films become immensely popular only to be hated a few years later when the new "kewl" thing comes by. People turn on things so quickly these days. I don't think that's the attitude people had in days gone by. It seemed like either you liked something or you didn't--none of this switching sides stuff.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote: }{quote}Look, up in the sky............. Do you believe he was murdered? I do.

Me, too. It's sadly ironic that there's no truth or justice for the man who was the very symbol of those ideals.

Agreed. The first impression is always key for me. I watched Claudette in it happened one night and I got hooked.. didn't and don't really like Gable (Which again was first impression I've never seen gone in the wind..) but Claudette lit up the screen and she is along my faves where I check the schedule and hope she's on it. I can't watch every day and I can't even record properly BUT TCM always shows me something new, so I find new faves all the time..

To put that in perspective, I want to go into the top ten thread but I don't have a top ten of anything yet lol.

Right now I'm watching "The Great Race" and noticed that Peter Falk has never been SUTS. This is a terrible oversight that must be corrected. If you're not going to honor Leo Gorcey, Then at least give Peter Falk his due. And one title in particular that I'd like to see included in his SUTS is "...All The Marbles" from 1981 where he plays the manager of a womans wrestling tag-team.

How about next year when you're doing Sidney Poitier for the 5th time, you eliminate "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", "In The Heat Of The Night", and "Blackboard Jungle" (seen them, recorded them, don't need to see them again). In their place, you could include three titles he not only starred in but also directed. I'm talking specifically about three title with Bill Cosby as his co-star. Those being, "Uptown Saturday Night", "Let's Do It Again", and "A Piece Of The Action" all from the mid 70's.

> {quote:title=sweetsmellofsuccess wrote:}{quote}Magnani, Signoret, or Madeleine Carroll, SUTS would certainly be a good way for me (and, of course, everyone) to see more their work.

Magnani and Signoret might not have substantial enough filmographies to get SUTS days; and if they do, those pesky rights issues might come into play.

I'd love a Judy Holli-Day, but with only seven or eight films to her credit, ain't gonna happen.

You make *excellent* points about Poitier-Day. I'd add To Sir, With Love to the moratorium list- not just for SUTS, but in general. Has anyone noticed *how often* it plays on weekend afternoons throughout the year?

Also noteworthy, not just from the TCM perspective, but from a critical one- Poitier's blandest titles are the ones that get the airplay and notice (and awards) but it's his later, rougher-edged and frankly more inn-teresting "don't take no s*** from no one" work that was (and is) ignored....something made all the more odd by the fact that TCM often shows the bumper tribute to Poitier featuring Donald Vogel and other black screenwriter/critics/historians who observe how strong his 70's work was...you know, the stuff they *never show* on TCM.

This time around, they put the Oprah tribute to him into heavy rotation before Poitier day. You know, the one that causes uncontrollable vomiting, as does everything with Oprah attached. ...although those daughters of his they show at the end are smoking hot.

ps- Really: how hard a gig was it for Poitier to be the Ambassador to Japan from The Bahamas? I mean, I guess there's a lot of eating pickled eel and managing not to gag as you smile and ask for the recipe, but aside from that, it's probably a sweet deal, all sorts of free electronics and complementary shiatsu massages....

*Magnani and Signoret might not have substantial enough filmographies to get SUTS days;*

Are you kidding? Both stars were in dozens of movies. Maybe you mean English language films, although SUTS would play any of their movies, provided, as you say, that they were able to clear the rights

*Magnani and Signoret might not have substantial enough filmographies to get SUTS days;*

Are you kidding? Both stars were in dozens of movies. Maybe you mean English language films, although SUTS would play any of their movies, provided, as you say, that they were able to clear the rights

well, i said *might.* All I've seen Magnani in are The Rose Tattoo and The Fugitive Kind, and I also know about Wild is the Wind (which doesn't seem to pop up on TCM much, didn't even air on Anthony Quinn day) and Open City.

For the record: *j'adore* her in both Tattoo (she *totally deserved* that Oscar) and Fugitive, and my recollection of her having a scant filmography came as a result of my imdbing and wikipediaing her after seeing both films two(ish) years ago. I remembered that she died young in the 1970's and I recalled on seeing the list "wow, she was not in a lot of stuff."

In fact, I included Magnani as an example of an actor who completely deserved the Oscar over more established competition on the merit of the performance alone and in spite of not having a ton of HOLLYWOOD follow-ups in any number of threads (see also: Robert Donat in Goodbye Mr Chips )

I just re-imdb'd her and yes, there are dozens of titles...although I have zero knowledge of any films outside of those four I mentioned earlier (The Golden Coach sounds familiar though)...some of her appearances in said films might be rather brief (not that that's ever stopped them from airing something on SUTS in tribute to a star where they were in it for a nanosecond, see also: the prime time airing of A Face in the Crowd on Lee Remick day and Citizen Kane on Alan Ladd day)

It happens, I'm old(er than I used to be.) I forget things, files get switched in the increasingly dusty catacombs of my mind.

I also like Signoret, much more in Ship of Fools than for her somewhat glorified supporting turn in the definitely overrated Room at The Top, and again, I remembered her as not having a lot of titles, although she had more than Magnani.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Aug 23, 2012 9:36 AM