Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Does Anyone Else Think Things are Getting a little Boring Around Here?

Just wondered.

No offense to anybody, sometimes the velocity of these boards just seems to slow down a little.

( I know, somebody's going to say, 'If you don't like it, you don't have to hang around. And good riddence !" )

EDIT : Just in case anyone is still clicking to the original post ( which is this): I should not have used the word "velocity", it was an ill-considered choice of words, and I like to be careful about that. But this time I wasn't. ( careful.) The best I can say is, I meant, when I'm really engaged on these boards, I tend to read and write quickly. Although it has been pointed out to me subsequently that "velocity" does not mean "quick" or "speed" per sec. Just shows sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about, I freely admit it.

All I meant was, there's nothing very interesting or exciting ( to me, anyway) going on in TCM Forum Land these days. No offense to those who think otherwise.

It's just as well, I do have a "life", and should spend more time living it instead of poring over these boards ( boreds. ) Love, misswonderly

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 22, 2012 10:33 AM

Every forum goes through cycles.

Veterans get tired of repeating things for the umpteenth time to newbies, people stop dropping in because of an influx of trolls, and as seasons change, work and school schedules are in flux.

I'm a moderator in a forum for a group I belong to (it gets me out of paying dues). A lot of the time, we need 4-6 mods on each shift, 24/7. Right now it's down to 1 per shift, and there's little for them to do. It'll pick up after Thanksgiving (it always does).

Anyway, my time is open right now because I cleared my schedule so SansFin and I could spend some time together before her classes start. Since she's still wrangling papers in foreign lands, if you want to discuss something in depth, give a holler! I've been known to expound at length on matters I know nothing about! ;)

Is the velocity equal to the quality of the thread? Or does the velocity of the thread decrease or increase the further you digress from it?

:^0

Speaking of trolls, do you know that people from Michigan who live in the Upper Peninsula call those who reside in the Lower Peninsula trolls because they live under the bridge? The bridge being the Mackinac Bridge which connects the two peninsulas of the Great Lake State...

And now we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Lol, I lived in Michigan and I never heard that exactly... then again I only went to the UP a couple of times. Maybe they do say it all the time up there.

I know we used to call them "Yoopers" (not a derogatory term, in fact there's a popular band called Da Yoopers). And people from Mackinac Island called all of us "fudgies" because we'd go there to buy their fudge.

I've noticed that TCMfan123 hasn't been posting his usual nonsense and then have everyone come crashing down on him. Maybe if he starts posting again, things will spark up

It's life. Things ebb and flow and that might be why, besides the heat, August is called the "dog days". Also I find I have little to say on the Boards for a while then all of a sudden it seems every thread gets me going about something. I'm betting things pick up all over after Labor Day with school starting, the elections, and a string of holidays from it into the new year. I'm sure that will spill over to the Boards. Keep your chin up!

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:}{quote}I've noticed that TCMfan123 hasn't been posting his usual nonsense and then have everyone come crashing down on him. Maybe if he starts posting again, things will spark up

Love the sarcasm................. :^0

>Capuchin wrote: ... if you want to discuss something in depth, give a holler! I've been known to expound at length on matters I know nothing about!

LOL, most of us do that here!

Capuchin, I miss SansFin...maybe that has something to do with it. SansFin always has something interesting to say, she keeps things going ( but then, so do many others around here.)

> {quote:title=RaquelVixen wrote:}{quote}Is the velocity equal to the quality of the thread? Or does the velocity of the thread decrease or increase the further you digress from it?

>

> :^0

>

I think it has something to do with an Isosceles Triangle. :|

When I first heard the term "troll" in connection with internet websites, I immediately thought of the old folk tale, "The Three Billy Goats Gruff." As everyone knows, the three billy goats wanted to cross the bridge to the other side of the meadow, which beckoned them with seemingly greener fresher grass. But ! A nasty troll lived under the bridge, and in order to cross it, the billy goats had to confront him.

Also, apropos of very little, there is a Red Hot Chili Peppers song called Under the Bridge. And Bruce Springsteen does a tune called Brothers Under the Bridge. However, I don't believe these gentlemen are thinking about trolls. Or billy goats, for that matter.

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}Every forum goes through cycles.

>

> Veterans get tired of repeating things for the umpteenth time to newbies, people stop dropping in because of an influx of trolls, and as seasons change, work and school schedules are in flux.

Exactly...plus I don't spend ALL my time in here because I do have a life outside the internet.

Miss W., baby, what do you mean by velocity? I think the boards are actually more focused on the love of film, which isn't really a high-voltage subject, despite our passion. I think we are sometimes brainwashed by the media into thinking all conversations have to be debates. I don't agree with that. I also think the diversity of TCM's programming has become richer during the past year -- films I've mentioned on these boards have suddenly shown up!

It's so boring, I have been reduced to watching how the number of guests changes dramatically each time I refresh the page (which is about every 2 seconds right now). So far, I have seen a high of 544 guests tonight (and on the next click, it dropped to under 500).

Somebody start a contest. Guess the highest number of guests we will have on a certain date, say during a given hour. All entries must be submitted one hour before the given hour. The winner has to post a screen capture showing the number of guests, along with the date on his/her computer.

On second thought, we all need to get a life.

Swithin, mon ami : I knew almost as soon as I'd typed the word "velocity" that it was the wrong word, not really what I meant. "Velocity" means "speed", and the speed with which we post, read, and write ( not to mention "think" ) on these forums has little to do with the point I was trying to make. I wanted to go back and edit the original post and change it somewhat.

What I really meant was, there's not much going on right now that's really engaging or exciting , at least to me. I apologize to all the people who have threads on the go right now; their thread topics are perfectly legitimate and I'm sure there are many others who wish to participate on them.

I've not read or posted much here these past few days ( busy with things going on in my personal life), and I just thought, when I logged back in today, that the boards seemed a little..uh...tepid.

I do agree with UniversalHorror and others who have pointed out that there are other ways to spend one's time besides hanging out on the TCM message boards. And if I think it's boar (d )ing ( get it? Oh, I'm such a wit, I can't stand it ]:) ) too bad for me, or "tough", as we used to say in grade 8. No one's forcing me to stay.

By the way, just to clarify: I don't find arguing and engaging in pointless and acrimonious debates with "trolls" and other aggressive or foolish types particularly fun or stimulating, and I was not lamenting that there hadn't been any "fights" around here lately. The fights don't make things more exciting, they usually just make things tedious.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}"Velocity" means "speed"

Au contraire, velocity does not mean speed. Velocity means speed with direction; thus, velocity can be positive or negative (or zero, for that matter). For instance, an object speeding away from the earth at 100 mph would have a velocity of +100 mph (by convention) while an object moving towards the earth at a speed of 100 mph would have velocity -100 mph. Speed is the absolute value of velocity; thus, it is always non-negative. Of course, the absolute value of zero would be denoted by lol, which I believe has another connotation on these boards.

How is that for boring?

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}It's so boring, I have been reduced to watching how the number of guests changes dramatically each time I refresh the page (which is about every 2 seconds right now). So far, I have seen a high of 544 guests tonight (and on the next click, it dropped to under 500).

>

> Somebody start a contest. Guess the highest number of guests we will have on a certain date, say during a given hour. All entries must be submitted one hour before the given hour. The winner has to post a screen capture showing the number of guests, along with the date on his/her computer.

>

> On second thought, we all need to get a life.

You're in luck! You can start with a clean slate. Right now, according to the statistics, there are Zero guests. Suppose somebody starts a contest, and each refresh shows the same Zero guests. Then who wins the contest? Think about this; it is really challenging. Perhaps the result should called a tie, and everyone can get a share of the winnings. I can hardly wait.......

musikone

(mu-sick to my ears)

> {quote:title=musikone wrote:}{quote} You're in luck! You can start with a clean slate. Right now, according to the statistics, there are Zero guests.

I see 490 right now. I also see dead people.

> {quote:title=RaquelVixen wrote:}{quote}

> Is the velocity equal to the quality of the thread?

It's inversely proportional. Things always pick up speed when they're going downhill. ;)

No, I have other interests besides TCM. I enjoy having the privilege to post here and move on.

Jake in the Heartland

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I miss SansFin

How do you think I feel? It's been forever. She's almost finished, but that only means she can start looking for a way to get back. With the season winding down, there's a lot fewer people flying, so getting an alignment to bring her all the way in one swell foop isn't going to be easy.

I'm a new classic fan, probably have seen less then a 100 classic films (made before 1960) and as such, I feel a little uncomfortable talking about the films cause I learn something new everyday and feel like everyone here knows more then me...

Furthermore, I have other intrests, other forums I go to,

finally, we're on classic movie forum that to be honest has a bad setup, horrible navigation system and the subject matter while great isn't exactly new to anyone. if you've discussed a topic already, you're probably not likely to discuss it again for awhile.... Likely to get annoyed when a newb like me starts an Ingrid Bergman thread for the millionth time lol.