Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Does Anyone Else Think Things are Getting a little Boring Around Here?

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> Somebody start a contest. Guess the highest number of guests we will have on a certain date, say during a given hour.

There's a science fiction story where one of the characters is a numbers runner. Instead of drawing numbers, they use the least significant digits of the world's population, as calculated by a supercomputer.

I wish I could remember which story that was!

I miss SansFin---MissW

I kinda miss the Shark's Fin soup I used to have at Golden Orchids on Little Bourke St in Melbourne, OZ

Bloody good stuff.

It's mon ami, Miss W.

Perhaps it would help if you gave a very specific example of what you mean.

Meh.

Just to go off-topic a bit. With the bad employment situation,

maybe somebody would be interested in a career in fudge-

packing. This short film provides some good info for anyone

who might want to pursue that possibility. I have heard,

through the grapevine, that Fanny Farmer is hiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-dTmstYHEY

*Lol, I lived in Michigan and I never heard that exactly... then again I only went to the UP a couple of times. Maybe they do say it all the time up there.*

*I know we used to call them "Yoopers" (not a derogatory term, in fact there's a popular band called Da Yoopers). And people from Mackinac Island called all of us "fudgies" because we'd go there to buy their fudge.*

They must call you "****" then eh? :)

I've heard that term used plenty of times, but it never had much to do with Fanny Farmer or Mackinac Island. B-) :);)

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}Don't jinx it, the old timers (members) are loving the peace and (zzzz) quite.

>

>

>

> SHannaMausoleum.jpg

Don't you mean "Quite a tomb"?

musikone

Edited by: musikone on Aug 22, 2012 1:10 AM

> {quote:title=Bildwasser wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Meh.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Just to go off-topic a bit. With the bad employment situation,

> maybe somebody would be interested in a career in fudge-

> packing. This short film provides some good info for anyone

> who might want to pursue that possibility. I have heard,

> through the grapevine, that Fanny Farmer is hiring.

>

>

>

>

Fudge-packing or hamburger-flipping or telephoning people that you don't know to sell them something that they don't want to buy.

With such a bright future, Americans ain't got no need for no education.

musikone

100 classic films (made before 1960)

*THANK YOU!* *THANK YOU!* *THANK YOU!* :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Believe it or not, your little phrase starts wars around here. Amazing, ain't it?

Start any thread you like, anytime you like Lazyking. If some can insult George Brent's posterior and wax poetic about Rita Hayworth's front and think those are intelligent threads, yours will be a breath of fresh air.

No matter what anyone says, TCM is still *THE* last bastion in a medium that is a massive stinking overpriced sewer, likely to get worse and never get better, and has one of *THE* last message boards that doesn't censor unnecessarily or intrude on one's peripheral vision with despicable adverts, and that is a welcome relief from the world of 2012.

Rock on, Lazyking.

> {quote:title=Lazyking wrote: ... }{quote}finally, we're on classic movie forum that to be honest has a bad setup, horrible navigation system and the subject matter while great isn't exactly new to anyone. if you've discussed a topic already, you're probably not likely to discuss it again for awhile.... Likely to get annoyed when a newb like me starts an Ingrid Bergman thread for the millionth time lol.

I agree with all you've said, Lazyking (and I second willbefree's colorful comment! :) )

1) Yes, this has to be the slowest and most functionally-flawed message board I've ever posted on. Sometimes I have to wait a full minute between clicks of the mouse, or it stalls completely and I have to force-refresh all the time. It's just this site it happens on, so a major re-vamp is in order, I think.

2) It's axiomatic that those who complain about a lack of things to discuss are also perhaps the ones who have discussed things far too much. And to be fair, I've been there myself on other sites of other interests of mine. That's why it's important to have other interests (I have too many, I think) and not to overdo it.

That said, I don't think it's fair of mega-posters anywhere to dissuade newcomers from contributing by saying (even politely) "That topic was discussed ____ years ago on this thread ... you really should do a search first before starting a new topic."

While I myself do a preliminary search, just in case such a topic has been discussed recently (when the search feature is working properly, that is), if it hasn't been talked about in over six months I see no reason why anyone can't start another thread on the same subject without hearing this wet-blanket suggestion. There's always a new angle to be found and it does breathe new life into an old board. And isn't that the point? If the older posters don't want to revisit a particular topic, fine, but the fact remains that new posters are always needed if any forum or site is to have longevity. If you turn away all the new posters then things will get a little stale.

So, please don't feel bad or hesitant about starting a topic, LK (or any of the other 500+ guests there are at any given time), I've enjoyed all your posts on the board. Like you, I've been a member of this site for years and years but I usually only visit it from time to time (that's why I have a whopping 60-some posts in just 6 years! LOL) But I have to say that I like TCM and the people here and this is a good site for classic film fans to visit and share stories and preferences. :)

• Like 1

> {quote:title=Mr_Blandings wrote:}{quote}

> this has to be the slowest and most functionally-flawed message board I've ever posted on.

In theory, every site should work well with any browser (html standard). In practice, it seems that when a site is optimized for one browser, the others encounter all kinds of glitches.

One forum I visit is terrible unless you're using Firefox. Another is much faster under IE7.

Other than the Online Users often showing 0 guests and 0 users, and the search function is wonky, I've had few problems here since I've switched to Chrome and clear the cache after each session.

LOL. Even the George Brent thread is in the doldrums (We're trying!) It's the dog days of summer......I've thought that too lately...........Maybe its partly SUTS. I'm not very interested this year...........

Yes, I do too, but I cant remember the story. How do the goats get over the bridge? (LOL)

You seem to want to laugh your a** off every 30 seconds. We're doing our best. Where is Groucho, or even Robin Williams, when we need him?

LMREO, Wasser! Hilarious. What a way to start the day............(me)

It's only been the last few weeks (for me) that the board functioning has been super slow (posts posting etc.) I think others have encountered this too. Unsure why...........

We do our best...............we need HELP! (in more ways than one!)

Have to confess this, though I'm sure I'm in the minority. One thing I find boring on this board is the use of photos. When people get going, it takes up so much space and pushes conversations to the next page. Shocking though this sounds, I would not mind if TCM removed our ability to post photos.

> {quote:title=Bildwasser wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Meh.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Just to go off-topic a bit. With the bad employment situation,

> maybe somebody would be interested in a career in fudge-

> packing. This short film provides some good info for anyone

> who might want to pursue that possibility. I have heard,

> through the grapevine, that Fanny Farmer is hiring.

>

>

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-dTmstYHEY

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Oh, Bildwasser, Bildwasser ...( somehow that head-shaking, name-repeating thing doesn't work very well with 4 - syllable names. ) Were you the class clown in public school?

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}Have to confess this, though I'm sure I'm in the minority. One thing I find boring on this board is the use of photos. When people get going, it takes up so much space and pushes conversations to the next page. Shocking though this sounds, I would not mind if TCM removed our ability to post photos.

I disagree...what I don't like (or understand) is when someone is quoting a reply with a photo and they quote the photo also. There's no need to also include the photo in the quote...it's pointless and is a waste of space. Especially when the reply comes immediately after the reply containing the photo...that's really pointless when it's right THERE.

Ya know Swithin, I've been wonderin' why I've never seen you post this...

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

;)