Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Does Anyone Else Think Things are Getting a little Boring Around Here?

True, missw.

What good is a thread on George Brent's rear end without some posters waxing poetic about fudge packing it?

Gosh, some posters don't know they're on ignore and I'll never get to read their words of genius.

Perhaps I wasn't subtle enough, like the brilliance of the posters in the George Brent thread or that of the OP on the hilarity on fudgepacking and teabagging?

Darn, I must do better next time.

> {quote:title=Mr_Blandings wrote:}{quote} ...

>

> 2) It's axiomatic that those who complain about a lack of things to discuss are also perhaps the ones who have discussed things far too much. And to be fair, I've been there myself on other sites of other interests of mine. That's why it's important to have other interests (I have too many, I think) and not to overdo it.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> That said, I don't think it's fair of mega-posters anywhere to dissuade newcomers from contributing by saying (even politely) "That topic was discussed ____ years ago on this thread ... you really should do a search first before starting a new topic."

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> While I myself do a preliminary search, just in case such a topic has been discussed recently (when the search feature is working properly, that is), if it hasn't been talked about in over six months I see no reason why anyone can't start another thread on the same subject without hearing this wet-blanket suggestion. There's always a new angle to be found and it does breathe new life into an old board. And isn't that the point? If the older posters don't want to revisit a particular topic, fine, but the fact remains that new posters are always needed if any forum or site is to have longevity. If you turn away all the new posters then things will get a little stale. ...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Mr. Blandings, in my defence, I have never, as far as I can recall, complained to a "Newbie" poster, or any poster for that matter, that they should not initiate a thread because "that topic has already been discussed." That would be mean. Also rude and unwelcoming.

Besides, as you said, an interesting subject is worth discussing more than once.

*" ...those who complain about a lack of things to discuss are also perhaps the ones who have discussed things far too much*" That's not what I meant. There are loads of things on the subject of movies have not been discussed here at all, at least since I've been posting here. I am not Waldo Lydecker, jaded and effete.

*"...it's important to have other interests (I have too many, I think) and not to overdo it...."*

I have a myriad of other interests, and perhaps you're right, should not overdo things too much in one of them ( hey, I got to use the word "myriad" in a sentence ! )

Look folks, I just started this thread on impulse, after taking a look at the "General Discussion" page and finding myself uninspired to comment on any of the topics therein. It's probably a case of

"It's not you, it's me"...

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 22, 2012 10:54 AM

> {quote:title=Mr_Blandings wrote:}{quote}I agree with all you've said, Lazyking (and I second willbefree's colorful comment! :) )

>

Thank you, Blandings, the voice of reason...

As for my good friend Miss Wonderly, think she wants to see more repartee... So step up to the plate boyz... And girlz...

For moi, this is the only message board I "belong" to... My other cyberspace activities are limited to email and Facebook...

Everybody is as different as snowflakes... Who knows why people post comments on this message board?? Users here get what they are looking for, I guess...

I find it highly addictive... As many other things are on computers and the Internet...

Some of my family members prefer playing hidden object games for hours on the computer...

I waste time posting comments here - y'all aren't all a waste of time, you know what I mean...

So whatever...

If you're interested in the psychology of why people use message boards and other things on the Internet, good articles are here (from "CyberPsychology and Behavior"):

http://users.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/basicfeat.html

Links to other articles are at the bottom of the webpage above...

The set-up of the TCM message board is like the Wild West... Things are pretty much all over the place and chaos rules... I've seen all the myriad categories in the message board and find that you could spend an awful lot of time just choosing which category to post a comment in, nevermind the comment itself...

That's why I generally stick to "General Discussion" because I don't have the time to look at all the other categories...

But I don't think it is a good idea to tighten control up... Then it gets too complicated...

Look at the issue, for example, of people who get banned, and then they simply rejoin using another user name... Don't think they've got that one figured out, yet...

I mean, are you going to ask people for a credit card number so as to verify who they are??

I suppose TCM could limit the message board to those who buy things from TCM using their credit card numbers thusly you have some idea who they are and can control things that way??

See what I mean...

So despite drawbacks, think it's ok the way it is...

And this ain't rocket science... We're not doing this as a paid job, and we're not researching possible cures for various cancers here...

It's about movies... And nothing we say here on the message board is going to ever be earth-shakingly profound or make any difference in anything...

It's for fun and for people who like old movies, and have some knowledge of them...

Sermon ended. Can I have an "Amen."

No, it's not you. It's possible people are busy or on vacation etc......

one thought that just sprang to mind. This place has too many subforums. Like honestly, Hot topics, general discussion and F&F seem to blend together when I'm looking at the board. I can understand Miss W's boredom but maybe if things were more concetrated, people would be more comfortable posting. One poster says they only post in this section and yet their are multiple simlair sub forums that have just as much activity.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}No, it's not you. It's possible people are busy or on vacation etc......

Think my friend Hibi wants more, and better, repartee around here too... Preferably related to George Brent's posterior... :)

Time to step up to the plate boyz and girlz...

Anyway, I did once belong to another message board many years ago.

One time things were livened up considerably when a famous celebrity joined the message board and acted like a regular message board user. (Unfortunately you know what happened... In time, the celebrity got fed up with annoying users and left the message board permanently...)

But now I think it's part of Being A Celebrity 101 that they don't get involved in message boards anymore... Twitter is about as good as it gets nowadays...

Look at Robert Osborne, for example, even he doesn't bother with the message board here anymore...

> One poster says they only post in this section and yet their are multiple simlair sub forums that have just as much activity.

I don't know if that is me or not? Anyway, yes, I've looked around at other categories, etc...

Even posted in another category. But you could spend all day looking through all the subforums...

I just don't have, or want to, spend the time...

But I do try and take notice of the other categories so that if something is relevant there it goes there...

I mean, this whole thread could probably go into another forum category...

If we all, as mere mortals, don't use our real names, why should a "famous celebrity" use his/her real name? Who knows who lurks among us!

LOL. Well, rest assured I'm not a celebrity. (and I do have other interests besides George Brent's bum!).......

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}If we all, as mere mortals, don't use our real names, why should a "famous celebrity" use his/her real name? Who knows who lurks among us!

This was many years ago. Like 20 or so. Message boards, and the Internet, were something relatively new way back then... (I was just learning how to create a webpage at the time, using the "new" HTML, that's how long ago it was...)

And I can't remember if the celebrity used her real name or not? Think she used a pseudonym but it became apparent pretty fast from her posts that she was who she was (only that person would know the answers type of thing)... I'm not going to divulge what the message board was about or who the celebrity is... Plus people were a bit (a lot) more naive in those days about the Internet...

But no way nowadays you'd see that...

And Hibi, you're a celebrity to all of us...

Thanks! LOL. I think I started that thread OUT OF BOREDOM. Now look what it's become!

Well dark, I guess THAT'LL teach ya to read those instructions that come with those staple guns BEFORE attemptin' to operate 'em, HUH???!!!

(...sorry, couldn't resist...glad to hear you're doin' better)

OMG!!!! Hope everything heals fast. At least you can type! I had shoulder surgery last year. Nothing on your scale..........

>All I meant was, there's nothing very interesting or exciting ( to me, anyway) going on in TCM Forum Land these days.

Hi. It's my personal opinion that the reason is because there are so many newer films from the 1960s, 70s, and 80s that are being shown.

The Elvis day was a big dud, with lots of people here saying they would be doing things like work around the house, instead of watching those stupid and boring movies.

The Anthony Quinn day was filled with a lot of long boring modern films, with nothing of his classics from the 1930s and 40s. That film about the Italian war with the Arabs was a real snoozer. Then we got another Quinn/Arab snoozer later that night, lasting 3 hours, mainly scenes of Arabs talking and riding horses through the desert.

And now Jack Lemmon day. Every one of his films looks just like every one of his films. The whole day looks like one epic 12-hour film, with parts of it in color and other parts in black and white.

What happened to Classic Films, like the Kay Francis day, which a lot of people liked? Why all these 2 and 3 hour letterboxed color snoozers? Give us more short quick exciting interesting double features from the Classic Era of old Hollywood.

Oh, I knew THIS "theory" was gonna come around in this thread eventually.

I'm just kinda shocked that it took THIS long for any of the Old Timers around here to posit it yet again!

(...yep, c'mon TCM...keep 'em Black and White AND less than 2 hours, if ya will...remember, we've STILL got a few people around here who's formative years were during the Truman Administration, ya know!)

LOL

One thing that I looked forward to that has disappeared in the last couple of months has been Mark's weekly grooving report. He was so enthusiastic about his favorites and I discovered quite a few films I would have passed over without his recommendations. Reading any of his posts was like a refreshing drink.

I hope his absence is explained by either a great job or having a great vacation, and not by him just getting bored and deciding not to post anymore.

Why are they showing Days of Wine and Roses at 2am? (even the west coast goes to work in the morning). I wouldnt have minded seeing that again. Prime time doesnt interest me at all lately. Kay night was a rare exception.........

Btw MissW, NOW that I've had the "audacity' to challenge Fred's little ongoing "theory", I'll betcha your thread here will be ANYTHING but "boring" now, EH?!

LOL

(...though I suppose you DID say earlier that all these "debates" around here do kinda get a little 'old hat" after a while, huh!) ;)

ROFL

MissW,

When the number of complaints filed by various readers of this thread are totalled, this thread is anything but boring.