Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Does Anyone Else Think Things are Getting a little Boring Around Here?

>Does Anyone Else Think Things are Getting a little Boring Around Here?

In a word, no. I don't read all threads, or all forums, but I've found plenty of interest lately. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the library I work in is on short hours, between semesters. I'm only at work for six hours a day now, and can't web surf all of that time. So, between here and the AVS forum, there's been plenty to keep me busy.

I was getting the double 0s for guests, and users, even on FireFox, but, starting a few days ago, I always get the numbers now.

And, BTW, it's not just people from Mackinaw Island in Michigan who call us down-staters fudgies, most everyone in the Northern tip of the Southern Peninsula (like Traverse City) call us fudgies.

Dark Blue, I hope you heal well. I recently spent 12 days in the hospital, but it was much less serious. All they had to do to me, after countless tests and scans, is stick a thin needle in my back, and draw off two liters of fluid from my "pleural effusion."

> No offense to anybody, sometimes the velocity of these boards just seems to slow down a little.

I think part of it may come down to what kind of experience you want from the forums.

Want to know a bit more about a variety of classic films, criticism and character actors?

Every day TopBilled updates his threads about that with interesting information.

Want behind the scenes information on films?

TomJH has a thread for that. MovieProfessor is another poster who provides running commentary.

Want more "Seinfield-esque" comedy and humor?

Check out hibi's threads or just read what hibi, finance, Dargo and Addison write.

Want a potpourri of ideas, suggestions and general what's wrong with the world and what's wrong with TCM?

Plenty of that in the main two forums and those conversations, like the "Seinfeld-esque" humorists, rarely stay confined to one thread.

Want to celebrate birthdays?

Check out Mongo's Candids thread in Films and Filmmakers.

Also, it's part of the nature of these forums. Conversations tend to lag at the end of summer, the winter holidays (Nov-December) and the beginning of summer because people are busy with other aspects of their lives.

Fall and winter are coming and people tend to spend more time indoors and the conversation will likely pick up as the days grow shorter.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}...

>

> ...Dark Blue, I hope you heal well. I recently spent 12 days in the hospital, but it was much less serious. All they had to do to me, after countless tests and scans, is stick a thin needle in my back, and draw off two liters of fluid from my "pleural effusion."

>

Wow, that procedure reminds me of one that Sidney Poitier performed on Richard Widmark's brother in *No Way Out* ( not even remotely related to the Kevin Costner flick ,many years later. The older film that *No Way Out* references is *The Big Clock*. But I digress.)

Anyway, turns out Widmark's brother was not long for this world. I'm very glad to hear that your experience is much different from his. I just hope that you didn't have a Richard Widmark -type character ( as he is in *No Way Out* ) in the hospital bed beside you.

I assume the doctor who performed this procedure was a pluralist, who spoke effusively about his work.

Yeah Michael! I think Lazyking here just MIGHT be onto somethin' here.

Saaaaay, how about IF ya maybe start a whole NEW forum where people can go on and gripe about the films that TCM occasionally shows that were filmed in vivid Technicolor, are over 2 hours in length AND that were made after the year 1969...no, make that '59 if ya will.

(...yep, I think somethin' like THAT might touch a cord with some folks around here alright...well, at least I DO seem to know of a few folks who might find that a very convenient addition to this wedsite, anyway!) ;)

> {quote:title=TCMWebAdmin wrote:}{quote}MissW,

>

> When the number of complaints filed by various readers of this thread are totalled, this thread is anything but boring.

>

What?? People are filing complaints about this thread ( or possibly its original poster ) ? In large numbers?

I am shocked, shocked, that such a thing could be.

"Seriously", as I've stated several times here, I meant no offense to anyone. And that includes all the people who have threads on the go here in "General Discussion", who must have thought

":Hey, how can she be bored? I think my thread topic is pretty fascinating stuff."

It probably is, for those interested in the topic. As I said earlier, "it's not you, it's me."

Just for the record: I prefer in-depth discussion of films, similar to the way one might discuss a novel -with, of course, the addition of all the elements that exist in film ( visuals, etc.) The minutiae of what stars bickered with each other, or hung out with each other for that matter, what studios traded which actors, and when, and for what films, how a character actor's life progressed after their biggest film, etc. are of little interest to me.

Now I'm really going to be in trouble !

I will state clearly here, that I'm aware that many many people enjoy such threads, and I am in no way attempting to curtail them. It's just that sometimes I'm surprised that there are so many thread topics like the above, and a relatively small number of threads with "in-depth discussions" about a film, director, etc. At least on this forum. And even the "Films and Filmmakers" forum doesn't boast a large amount of "in -depth discussion " threads.

Aargh, this is probably a case of, the more I blather, the worse I make things for myself.

misswonderly wrote: Aargh, this is probably a case of, the more I blather, the worse I make things for myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah! Ya better quit RIGHT now, MissW!

(...PLEASE don't make me send off yet ANOTHER PM to Michael sayin': "Now WHO the hell does that crazy Canadian up there think she is ANYWAY?!")

;)

Miss W, I don't know why people would complain about this thread. It's innocuous, not offensive. There are several other threads, some of long standing, that are aimless chat threads. At least you asked a serious question.

Thank you, Val. I do try to keep the party polite.

By the way, you did not reply to my query about the doctor who helped heal your "pleural effusion."

Does the human anatomy contain more than one "effusion"? And why can't we tap into this built-in store of "effusion" when we need cheering up?

To answer tne original question, I'm not jumping into threads as much as I was a few weeks ago. I don't knows if it's "The Dog Days" or just that this SUTS lineup isn't inspiring me, but that's the truth.

I cant imagine why this thread got any complaints (hate to think how many my "infamous" one has garnered.....) Thank you TcmAdmin for being broadminded!

I got a kick out of that short film about the fudge-packing industry.

And one minor advantage is that it's hard to outsource fudge-packing

to other countries. Let's keep it going right here in the USA, so that

fudge-packing by and for Americans will not perish from the face of

the earth. I was a relatively introverted kid in high school, still am.

Now, fudge-packing is okay, but we can't write as* without it being

bleeped? Where is the justice in that?

Fred is just being Fred. I think most people would agree that while

movies made after the mid 1960s are different in some ways from

those from the studio era, they are just as good. Good movies have

always been made and always will be. There is another advantage

to the short running times of the early stuido era films. If you've got

a real dog on your hands (and there were plenty of them) you've only

wasted an hour or so of your time.

Apres moi le derriere--George XV.

LOL! Thank God for Youtube! My stomach hurt over that one. Yeah, even if you arent using it in a bad way, it gets bleeped. I used -ck and bull story and the first word got bleeped. Didnt even think of it when typing it...... So I guess we have to use rooster..........

With my 31,000 posts, I guess that means that I have no other interests. I had a date last week, and during dinner, I kept bringing up some of my favorite threads.

As I already said, you seem to need round-the-clock excitement to keep from getting bored. You should get a high-stress job, like air traffic controller or auto racer.

Edited by: finance on Aug 22, 2012 3:22 PM

LOL. Welcome back. I was feeling outnumbered over here............(watch my back!)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I cant imagine why this thread got any complaints (hate to think how many my "infamous" one has garnered.....) Thank you TcmAdmin for being broadminded!

Don't worry about it, Hibi... We can always complain to TCM Admin about the complainers... :)

But there must be some sick puppies on this message board (and I'm assuming it's not newbies like me who are whining)...

Lighten up... I did... And didn't take me long to learn the ways of certain users...

No biggie... I have yet to complain to TCM Admin about anybody and wouldn't anyway...

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}How can you call yourself a newbie when you've been a member in good standing for almost 2 years?

Oy vey! I registered almost two years back to ask a question of message board users, I think...

I got some great answers and then I went back to my usual life...

Had no idea of board politics/bad users and didn't care because I wanted answers and that was it...

I haven't really started posting until recently... And only until recently have I learned about certain users on the board/board politics, etc....

So that's why I say I'm a newbie. I registered in Oct. 2010 and then was gone for a long time until recently... I'd have to go back and search my own posts to trace my exact history...

And I'm not pointing any fingers at you or anybody else directly identifiable...

I never have either and wouldnt unless viciously attacked (I'm not worried).....if people dont like a thread, dont read it then or use ignore poster (I never do that as I'm nosy!)

That's how I was. I read but didnt post for a long time. Even when I did it was just occasionally. Slowly I got drawn in.........Finance helped!