Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Think Pride Of The Yankees Coming Soon, Maybe Cooper Day

WhyaDuck

You don't need to be a baseball fan to like this one.

Yes, it has baseball and Babe Ruth and Bill Dickey are in it.

Mostly it is about Lou Gehrig and his wife, so for those who like love stories, it's that also.

The music is excellent and of it's day, leading up to the last 30 minutes....and the illness....and the speech......to the final shot of fading away into the tunnel as the illness made him fade away, to the applause, that music, then " Play Ball " as if life goes on. I marvel at how Babe Ruth played himself down for this movie to make Gehrig look better. I wonder how the fans at Yankee Stadium felt recreating this moment.

If you can get through this ending without some kind of a tear in your eye, you do better than I do. The last 30 minutes is emotional, and the kid from the hospital now grown up, and that speech. That great speech that everyone should hear once in their life.

Yes it is baseball....but it is so much more.

May I add well acted by Gary Cooper, the woman who plays his wife and Walter Brennan. Very good Gary Cooper in this one.

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 25, 2012 1:48 PM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 25, 2012 1:52 PM

Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.....Those words spoken by Lou Gehrig, repeated by Gary Cooper....This is a Must See movie.

Thanks for the name Teresa Wright......she is excellent as Lou Gehrigs wife in this, because it is about their love mostly.....and I hear about actors looking into each others eyes....but in the last 30 minutes, alot is said when Cooper and Wright avoid each others eyes to be strong for the other.

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 25, 2012 3:04 PM

It's a wonderful movie and Wright is the real treat. It tells the story the way Eleanor wanted it told, pointing out the difficulty of dealing with Lou's mom while completely whitewashing Eleanor's own behavior and background. If only the real Eleanor was as perfect as Ms. Wright.

Is it the first biographical movie to rewrite the story for a female audience?

WhyaDuck, you made an interesting point about Babe Ruth's performance in this film. Ruth and Gehrig had long been competitors and didn't get along. Ruth, however, was touched by Gehrig's courage after he found out he was dying and, in turn, he wanted to appear in this film to pay tribute.

Ruth, playing himself, does not come across as a particularly likeable person in this film. Considering Ruth's considerable ego, that's quite a surprise.

One thing that has always irked me about The Pride of the Yankees, and that Elsa Janssen's bossy performance as Mama Gehrig, a woman who clearly wears the pants in her family. I don't know how much that is based on the historical Gehrig mother but, for me, there is waaaaay too much footage of her grating character. Oh, for the sight of Moe Howard to have suddenly turned up and launched a cocanut cream pie in her direction! She's even less likeable than Ruth!

This is on in less than 24 hours, I see......Sunday, 5:30 PM ....I suppose thats Eastern Standard Time. ......Gary Cooper Day Sunday.....

Yes, the mother is a nag, but in real life there was friction between his mom and Ruth, they say

Yanks pitcher Waite Hoyt had nothing but good to say about both Gehrig and Ruth.....I always love the pictures of Ruth surrounded by poor kids, all eating hot dogs bought by Ruth.....Ruth does play himself down for this, which makes me respect him for doing it.....and nobody before or since has pitched 20 wins and hit 60 homers, not even close. In 1961 it took 2 players to break his records. Maris his homer record, and Ford his World Series pitching record. Remember that this is an older Ruth, pictures of Ruth in his prime show he was in far greater shape in his 20s and 30s. As a baseball fan, I can easily say nobody ever has or ever will be a pitcher and hitter as good as Babe Ruth.

This is the best baseball movie ever. 8 Men Out is pretty good also. On the other hand, fat huge John Goodman as Ruth is a movie to avoid due to not being accurate about anything. Ruth in his playing days was not Goodman size, nor did they change the rules so Ruth could get on first, have somebody run for him, and still stay in the games. Too bad Waite Hoyt wasn't still alive to kick Goodman in his big fat rear end for this insult to his friend and teammate. They never got a movie about Ruth right. At least they got the Gehrig movie right with Ruth and Dickey in it.

and I'm not even a NY fan.....I'm a Cincy fan.....but this movie transends baseball.

Some of the early parts are indeed corny, but some of the early parts are great....and set up one of the strongest last 30 minutes in any movie ever.

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 25, 2012 8:43 PM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 25, 2012 8:53 PM

> {quote:title=TomJH wrote:}{quote}WhyaDuck, you made an interesting point about Babe Ruth's performance in this film. Ruth and Gehrig had long been competitors and didn't get along. Ruth, however, was touched by Gehrig's courage after he found out he was dying and, in turn, he wanted to appear in this film to pay tribute.

>

> Ruth, playing himself, does not come across as a particularly likeable person in this film. Considering Ruth's considerable ego, that's quite a surprise.

>

> One thing that has always irked me about The Pride of the Yankees, and that Elsa Janssen's bossy performance as Mama Gehrig, a woman who clearly wears the pants in her family. I don't know how much that is based on the historical Gehrig mother but, for me, there is waaaaay too much footage of her grating character. Oh, for the sight of Moe Howard to have suddenly turned up and launched a cocanut cream pie in her direction! She's even less likeable than Ruth!

I've read a couple of biographies of Lou Gehrig as baseball is another of my passions. Mama was as domineering as portrayed. Eleanor was also pretty domineering as well. Lou just went from being bossed by one to being bossed by the other.

When Lou died, Eleanor was so against the Gehrigs that she threatened to have them investigated for deportation to keep them from challenging the estate and movie earnings. She didn't even want to allow them to have any things of Lou's for sentimental reasons.

As I said earlier, the movie really whitewashes her background. Her father was not the honest businessman portrayed in the film. He was known for bribing Chicago officials for the business he had and he abandoned his family as Eleanor was growing up. Eleanor was a regular girl at parties with celebrities and the backwards Lou met her at one of those. No baseball loving gal calling him "Tanglefoot" was she. She liked drinking and playing cards a lot more.

Eleanor did, however, stick by Lou during the illness and did insist that no doctor tell him he was terminal. They instead told him that he "had to hit bottom" before he could get better. He continued to joke about that keeping up the pretense even on his deathbed.

She also did much to keep his image and memory alive after his death. She attended every Old Timers Day at Yankee Stadium and always insisted on being introduced as Mrs. Lou Gehrig.

Thanks for the intersting historical background on Eleanor Gehrig. I guess Goldwyn and company really had to tread lightly with her when they made the film since she was still alive, she was tough and she knew lawyers. I'm sure that even applied to whitewashing Gehrig as well. Having aw-shucks all-American hero Gary Cooper play him wold have appealed to all concerned.

When Lou goes to Spring Training and notices his game is way off, this movie becomes more than baseball. ....Again, if you can get through the last 30 minutes without a tear in your eye, you do better thn I do. ....but I love that speech.

Does anyone know if the movie Gehrig himself made, RAWHIDE, is actually available? I know experts looked at it at the time of his illness to try to determine if they could see the first signs of illness. They couldn't.

It seems he wasn't symptomatic until the middle of the 1938 season, when he went into his first career long term slump and finished batting under .300.

The movie hits all those points pretty accurately, including the fact that the guys in the locker room would pretend not to notice when he stumbled or shuffled around. One young player took a major bawling out from Lefty Gomez because he did stare one day.

There's a picture of several Yankee hitters during spring training in 1939. They are holding their bats touching the ground except for a frail looking Gehrig, who has his! inches above the ground, apparently fearful that if he leaned that far he'd pitch over.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings