Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon

UniversalHorror

Well, he had a good, full life. Quite a claim to fame, being the first man on the moon.

Silly question: I feel I ought to know this, but I don't: I know there have been many movies made about astronauts, but has there been one specifically about Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins, and their moon landing?

The crew of Apollo 11 are honored on the Hollywood "Walk Of Fame" to mark the world's largest television audience ever for a single event - the moon walk on June 20, 1969.

With four identical commemorative tiles on each of the four corners at the intersection of Hollywood & Vine, they are the only honorees to have more than one marker for the same achievement.

A few weeks ago, a survey by Nielsen for Sony Electronics was released that listed the most memorable television events of the last 50 years. Not surprisingly, Sept. 11 (2001) was at the top of the list. That was followed by Hurricane Katrina (2005) and the O.J. Simpson murder verdict (1995).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/07/12/its-all-news-the-20-most-memorable-tv-moments/

And the Moon Landing was no where to be found on the list I saw, which only listed the Top 20. I was shocked!

Turns out, Armstrong and Crew were number 21 on the complete list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/september-11-attacks/9392298/September-11-attacks-most-memorable-TV-moment-in-last-50-years.html

But I had immediately thought of Landing on the Moon as the most memorable. I suppose it is because I do still remember it so many years later. There's precious little else I remember from 1969 as vividly as watching those grainy television images and then walking outside and gazing upon the moon knowing someone was "up there" at that very moment.

Kyle In Hollywood

The first moon landing will be forever etched in my mind. I was a young teenager when Armstrong landed on the moon. Regarding movies, there was a documentary found back in 2009.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/lost%2Bmoon%2Blanding%2Bdocumentary%2Bunveiled%2B/3269157.html

I have the abridged version of "Moonwalk One" because if I knew back in 2004 the NASA channel was going to show the *uncut* version that played for about 5-6 hours, I would have recorded it. Quite upset I didn't got the chance. That film showed the *entire* Apollo 11 mission from beginning to end and the complete moon EVA. *Nothing left out!*

I wish those pinheaded morons stop with the moonlanding was a hoax nonsense and really need to get a LIFE! They need to research *Laser Ranging Retroreflector* that can ONLY been set up and aligned by hand back then.

602_HD_Space_wallpapers_Various_Sises-80

Regardless of what we make here on earth to remember him, it will not last as his footprints on the moon which will last millions if not over a billion years! Something to think about, the ultimate memorial. :)

RIP.

ht_1969_neil_armstrong_moon_footprint_ss

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> I have the abridged version of "Moonwalk One" because if I knew back in 2004 the NASA channel was going to show the *uncut* version that played for about 5-6 hours, I would have recorded it. Quite upset I didn't got the chance. That film showed the *entire* Apollo 11 mission from beginning to end and the complete moon EVA. *Nothing left out!*

Look again...the ENTIRE mission...over 10 hours...was released on DVD 10 years ago. Track it down, because it really seems to have EVERYTHING possible. Read all the details here:

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-11-Moon-Spacecraft-Films/dp/B00009XYYF/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345950363&sr=1-1&keywords=Apollo11%3AMenonthe+Moon

51JWGR1QJ0L.jpg

>Kyle said: The crew of Apollo 11 are honored on the Hollywood "Walk Of Fame" to mark the world's largest television audience ever for a single event - the moon walk on June 20, 1969.

Wow I had no idea! Very cool!

>A few weeks ago, a survey by Nielsen for Sony Electronics was released that listed the most memorable television events of the last 50 years. And the Moon Landing was no where to be found-I was shocked!

Amazing. Actually very sad the top 3 events are tragedies while the moon landing is a triumph for mankind.

>and then walking outside and gazing upon the moon knowing someone was "up there" at that very moment.

Haha, we did the same thing!

I was lucky enough to be in FL for most of the Apollo mission and had ties to NASA-it was very exciting. Now my brother works in the space field, system operator for the Chandra telescope, still pretty exciting. I'm just a star/planet/satellite gazer.

From The Earth To The Moon is pretty good, but the Murray/Cox book APOLLO is the best explanation of how they accomplished the feat.

I couldn't IMAGINE watching 10 hours of the mission. It's not like "Hollywood" versions of loop mindless joking & insightful chatter, it's rather dull & technical. When I see a film about space, those lighthearted depictions always make me laugh. Sorry, our heros are truly serious nerds, focused on the task at hand.

When I first heard of Armstrong's death, I pictured his soul stopping by the moon on his way to the heavens.

I was a week away from my 18th birthday when he took that "small step". Somewhere out there is an old reel of magnetic recording tape with the audio of that iconic statement I recorded for "prosperity". Don't know whatever became of it. And there are STILL people today who think the whole thing was faked. In spite of all manner of proof to the contrary.

And now, Mr. Armstrong has taken the ultimate "giant leap". His family asked, among other things, that next time any of us are outside at night and look up at the moon, give a little wink for Neil.

Hell, I've been doing that for 43 years!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings