Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The 2 Jeffs: Hunter and Chandler

yogiboo

For some reason I have a curious fascination with Jeffrey Hunter and Jeff Chandler. Seeing Hunter in "KIng of Kings" as a kid I was mesmerized by those eyes. I'll usually watch anything he's in, even though I don't think he was a stellar talent. "Sergeant Rutledge" is a favorite picture of mine as a whole and I think he was good in it but not amazing. I like his face. Kind of reminds me of a more handsome John Agar....I can see him doing Agar's role in "Fort Apache".

Chandler's hair is the first thing one notices. A leading man with a full head of grey hair is not something I'd think Hollywood would have allowed. The guy was handsome and I remember asking my mom about him when I was younger and she said he practically made her swoon. TCM doesn't really show a lot of his films, which surprises me. I guess his best role was as Cochise in "Broken Arrow". I don't think he was in many "classic" films but he seemed like he should've been a much bigger star.

The fact that both men died relatively young also keeps these two together in my head. Does anyone have any feelings about them?

Well, Yogiboo, these are two of my favorite actors from the 1950's. I think it's true that Chandler did not appear in a lot of "A" movies. Perhaps part of the reason is that his contract was with Universal-International, at the time not known for many big-budget movies. But he did make some wonderful adventures, often teamed with beautiful actresses like Rhonda Fleming, Maureen O'Hara, and Julie Adams. Once he got away from that contract, he seems to have been in more important movies. And Hunter was often seen in light-weight movies, playing the handsome boy-next-door type. I remember he did a movie with Anne Francis at Warner Bros. where he played a man pretending to be insane. He was quite good in that one. And, of course, his triumph was "King of Kings." And you're right, both men died way too young. I miss them.

Terrence.

Terrence1, I just looked up JH on Wikipedia and was surprised to read that he was married to Barbara Rush and to Emily McLaughlin whom I used to watch on the old TV soap opera General Hospital. Hmmmm.

I liked your comment about JC being under contract to Universal-International. That makes total sense as to why he didn't make "A" films.

> {quote:title=yogiboo wrote:}{quote}Terrence1, I just looked up JH on Wikipedia and was surprised to read that he was married to Barbara Rush and to Emily McLaughlin whom I used to watch on the old TV soap opera General Hospital. Hmmmm.

>

Emily McLauglin and he were only married for a few months when he died from, I think, a cerebral hemmorage. She stayed with GH until just before she died of cancer. This was back when the show really was about the hospital.

finance, I did know Jeff C was Jewish from Brooklyn. But I have never had a problem keeping them straight. I just always associate one man with the other because they both died young and seem to have been forgotten.

Not many of us seem to be responding so maybe some will become curious.

Cheers.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings