Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM is a joke

samsnick

*High Noon* is pretty good, eh? Or "ay"?

I think "ay" ( or "eh", either way, it's pronounced like the first letter of the alphabet) sounds better than the American "huh". But "huh" is slowly infiltrating its way into Canada. More Americanization of our country, ay, darkblue?

To the original poster: Sometimes TCM can't get the rights to air a certain film at a certain time. I agree that *High Noon* is one of Coop's most famous, but we'll just have to settle for some of his other movies today.

Things aren't always the way we want them, eh?

I'd never heard of *Peter Ibbetson*, so I looked him up. I was kind of thinking maybe he was a person, real or fictional, given to terminating his sentences with "ay" or "eh" or "oy". ( Maybe even "huh", which seems to be running a distant third here.)

Anyway, I found this to be interesting:

*Peter Ibbetson* is a film in which Gary Cooper plays a controversial architect. So what, ay?

But leave us not forget another more famous - or infamous -movie of Coop's, *The Fountainhead*, in which he plays a controversial architect.

Apparently Gary Cooper was good at playing the strong silent architectural type, eh? ( And he probably was a Type A .)

No "huh's" allowed on this thread. I have decreed this. Make it so,.

*Peter Ibbetson* has been called (by at least two French critics for what it's worth) one of the great surrealist films. Based on a book by George Du Maurier, it's about a love affair that is so consuming, it transcends space. The only example of a similar situation on film that I know of is the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen in Lord of the Rings. (I wonder if Tolkien was influenced by Du Maurier.) In addition to Gary Cooper in the eponymous role, it has the loveliest of all actresses, Ann Harding. With a great cast, and directed by one of Hollywood's giants: Henry Hathaway.

http://somecamerunning.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5523026f5883401157133ca89970b-pi

The pacing of *Peter Ibbetson* has been called "glacial." Nevertheless it is a great film. If it put you to sleep, and you want an even longer nap, I suggest another masterpiece of surrealism, *Celine and Julie Go Boating*, which was revived at the Film Forum in NYC a few months ago. Nearly four hours of bliss (or sleep for some)!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings