Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ava Gardner's Day

TopBilled

My real question here, and I am sure the folks at TCM debate it, is say there are all those 'likes' on Facebook. Some are 'like'-ing Ava and the SUTS series at work or on a cellphone during transit to or from work, or on a coffee break. So actually, since it is so easy and takes a fraction of a second to 'like' something and then go on to the next Facebook post, what percentage are actually watching Ava and TCM today, or at least setting the DVR back home so they can watch these films later?

Well TB, maybe it's the idea that her beauty was "one for the ages"?!

And by "the ages" here, I don't just mean in a "timeless" sense, but ALSO maybe that many of the youth out there who may have never watched Ava Gardner in film in their young lives and possibly not even previously knowing her name, might have looked upon that face on Facebook and instantly recognized what an exceptional beauty she was. And thus, as they're now trained to do, they'll hit the "Like" button on their electronic conveyance in some sort of spasmodic and involuntary reaction to the visual stimulus of seeing a picture of whom I think might be THE most gorgeous woman to ever walk the face of this planet.

(...this of course is JUST a guess) ;)

I remember her (who can forget her) in "The Killers":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killers_%281946_film%29

For someone who didn't have any formal theatrical training or background, and who was "discovered" by chance, she certainly turned out to be a great actress.

Guess you can argue she learned on the job... Like an apprentice...

Yes, the reason I stress Ava in black and white instead of color relates more to when the film was released. Ava didn't age well in my view (too much drinking or fight with frank???), so even by the mid 50s she starts to look worn out to a degree.

But yea in the color films she made prior to the mid 50s she looks great. e.g. as Pandora.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings