Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Midnight Run

BenjaminCS

Seeing this film for the first time a quite a few years ago, I was delighted and pleased to find such a fun and intelligent comedy. Just recently, I had come back upon this movie and decided to give the film another view, I've now become obsessed. This film in my view, is almost perfect in aspects of character, writing, directing, music. I've taken to watching this film constantly and trying to break it down and examine all the intricacies of it. I love figuring out what makes certain films so good. I'd like to hear what all of you think: How you feel about the movie, favorite scenes/quotes, trivia, personal observations about the characters, plot, etc, and I'd esspecially love to hear about your analysis of the film, breaking it down and examining it in a purly analytical form.

Thanks very much!

Benjamin

"See you in the next life." The amount of heart in this movie seems quite rare for an action-comedy-esque film, but it's abundant in Midnight Run. Agreed. The ending scene put a little tear in my eye...and the duo of Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin is one of intense chemistry and perfect timing. You're rooting for both of them at different times, even when they're abusing each others trust (it all works out in the end!). Love it. And the music - Danny Elfman! Fantastic. Such a good opening sequence too. '88 was a perfect year for this movie to come out, it just wouldn't have had the same charm had it been made today. Such a recommended film. xxx

Excellent points, I totally agree about the ending, music, and characters. This film just works so well and the year it was made was totally perfect for it. Lighthearted comedy but strong character motive and emotion. I think you really feel everything these two characters go through yourself as you watch the movie and the end just wraps their adventure together up perfectly.

Great movie, my choice for the Best Picture of 1988. If memory serves, it was released on the same day as *DIE HARD,* and has always unjustly sat in its shadow.

The writing is incredibly sharp at times. The scene when DeNiro meets his daughter for the first time in a decade, and finds that he has *nothing* to say to her puts a lump in my throat. (In a remake, DeNiro's character would have an eloquently written reunion speech for her, while a Celine Dion song plays in the background; how lame would that be!)

Grodin's chemistry with DeNiro is perfect. I love how his small attempts at conversation with DeNiro always end up as loud arguments. After two hours, this should get old, but it never does.

Has there ever been an action movie with so many diverse and well-played supporting characters? From Dennis Fariina as evil Jimmy Serrano, to Joe Pantoliano as two-faced bail bondsman, to John Ashton as slow-witted **** skip tracer, to Yaphet Kotto as ultimately sympathetic FBI agent. I don't think any of them has ever improved on their work here.

On a personal note, I saw this movie three times when it came out. I had been dumped early in 1988 by a woman who I truly cared about, and Grodin's speech about looking for a new watch always seemed like it was written for me. (Although in my case, the broken watch was a wool scarf, which I still have.)

Midnight Run is one of my favorite non studio era movies, for all the reasons people have mentioned here. Often when a movie that is played for laughs tries to get serious it just doesn't work. i.e. the tension in the scene the director is tying to create just falls flat, but here the movie moves from lighthearted to serious in seconds but it doesn't looked forced or phony. I think the main reason is the great acting (especially by DeNiro), as well as sound direction.

He retired a few years after Midnight Run and has only returned to the screen once within the last decade. There have been several rumors of his return to the big screen for a Midnight Run 2, but so far it's only been speculation from fans and the stars of the film. Weather or not this will happen is anybodies guess, but the question must be asked: Do we need another Midnight Run? I'm as big a fan as the next guy of this wonderful movie and would love nothing more than another film that further explores the world of Jack Walsh and "The Duke", but as we are well aware, modern filmmaking is all about feeding the cash cow regaurless of quality. If there ever were to be a sequel, I want to be assured it's being held with the upmost respect for the original because the last thing we need is for there to be a series of films that only cheapen the first. Here's hoping that a sequel gets made with as much care to the characters as the original film did, and hopefully we'll get to experience another wonderful adventure with these two brillint characters.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings