Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TCMfan23

YOUR HD TV'S AND BLU-RAY'S WILL BE OUTDATED BY DECEMBER

I read on Yahoo today a new type of Television will be coming out in December. The resolution will be 4 k. Triple more resolution than 1080.

So , this means DVDs will look just as bad as VHS and Blu-rays wil become more cheaper as time goes on.

The new TV's will cost around $25,000. So, no one will be able to afford one for another decade. Probably only the rich can buy one.

I'm not making this up. Check it out yourselves.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-previews-future-television-unveiling-150000883.html

Edited by: TCMfan23 on Aug 29, 2012 8:26 PM

Ach! Mein F?hrer! I'M LOGGED IN!!!

Oh, uhh, I think I'll hold out until 8 k is available. :)

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}

>

> The new TV's will cost around $25,000. So, no one will be able to afford one for another decade. Probably only the rich can buy one.

Where did you come up with the price? I don't see it mentioned in the article.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}I read on Yahoo today a new type of Television will be coming out in December. The resolution will be 4 k. Triple more resolution than 1080.

>

> So , this means DVDs will look just as bad as VHS and Blu-rays wil become more cheaper as time goes on.

>

> The new TV's will cost around $25,000. So, no one will be able to afford one for another decade. Probably only the rich can buy one.

>

> I'm not making this up. Check it out yourselves.

>

> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-previews-future-television-unveiling-150000883.html

4K resolution is more like quadruple the resolution of 1080...not triple.

DVD's will not look "as bad" as VHS because DVD is a higher quality format to begin with.

Widespread sales of those tv's will simply not happen for awhile...and this article is about an 84" television....not about any other sizes, but one particular model.

As ginnyfan said...it's going to be awhile before anyone really starts broadcasting in the 4k resolution (which is currently used for digital theater projection).

As far as Blu-ray's being "outdated" by this...it's going to be awhile before a 4k resolution video format comes along...not to mention that this new tv format will likely have upconverting technology so that Blu-ray discs won't look any different in this new screen resolution.

I also saw nothing in that article stating the cost will be around $25,000...where did you come up with that figure? "For another decade"? I doubt that....the price of such a large screen will come down long before ten years have gone by.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}The new TV's will cost around $25,000. So, no one will be able to afford one for another decade. Probably only the rich can buy one.

You realize you've just made your thread title irrelevant by typing this right? Something can hardly be "out of date" if its successor is a decade or more away from penetrating the market to any degree.

I misread it ok.

I read some of the stuff in another article. I thought it was this one. There were three different ones listed.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}I misread it ok.

>

>

>

> I read some of the stuff in another article. I thought it was this one. There were three different ones listed.

Do you ever get your facts straight before you create a thread? Or is this a case as you wrote once before: "My thread wasn't suppose to be 100 percent right."

{quote:title=

> TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}

>

> ...Blu-rays wil become more cheaper as time goes on.

The article you linked to said nothing about Blu-ray, and whether your assumption meant that Blu-ray players would be cheaper or the discs is not made clear, but both are reasonably priced in many cases right now. I saw a LG Blu-ray player for sale a few days ago at Fry's that plays DVDs, Blu-rays, and 3D Blu-rays for $89. You can buy many classic title Blu discs for under $10.

By the way, "more cheaper" is very bad grammar.

Is the purpose of this new format to see like in a western, 2 guys are about to dual in a gunfight, you look down, zoom in and see an ant crawling on a pebble?

This constant upgrading regarding TV's, computers, telephones, etc. is down right silly. I still use VHS along with standard DVD's and I don't consider them outdated. Picture suits me fine!

Does the electronic/film industry expect us to throw away a perfectly good movie collection to trade up or throw away a perfectly good operating TV set that might last another 8 years? No wonder we are the most wasteful society ever with an ever growing landfill problem.

People wake up!!! Stop throwning $$$ down the drain simply to keep up with the Jones's.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:

>

>

>

> }{quote}Does the electronic/film industry expect us to throw away a perfectly good movie collection to trade up or throw away a perfectly good operating TV set that might last another 8 years?

The answer is yes. It's called capitalism. Onwards and upwards they say... That's progress...

Oh well... What was P.T. Barnum reputed to have said? "There's a sucker born every minute."

That's the American way, my friend... So don't complain, celebrate it!!!

>People wake up!!! Stop throwning $$$ down the drain simply to keep up with the Jones's.

Mary Astor in TRAPPED BY TELEVISION, 1936

tumblr_liwre9MihL1qz5q5oo1_500.jpg

2ypf6lt.jpg

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Aug 30, 2012 11:51 AM

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Aug 30, 2012 11:58 AM

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}I saw a LG Blu-ray player for sale a few days ago at Fry's that plays DVDs, Blu-rays, and 3D Blu-rays for $89. You can buy many classic title Blu discs for under $10.

I recently bought 7 movies on Blu-ray for $7.99 each. I've also seen Blu-ray players for $60 or less.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}Is the purpose of this new format to see like in a western, 2 guys are about to dual in a gunfight, you look down, zoom in and see an ant crawling on a pebble?

>

>

> Does the electronic/film industry expect us to throw away a perfectly good movie collection to trade up or throw away a perfectly good operating TV set that might last another 8 years? No wonder we are the most wasteful society ever with an ever growing landfill problem.

You can already see an ant crawling in the current HD resolution. :D

I still think this higher 4k resolution will...at least initially...be primarily for larger screens such as the article mentioned. Bigger screen means bigger image...and loss of image quality, so it makes sense to have a higher res available. Widespread use of the 4k res is still along ways off.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > People wake up!!! Stop throwning $$$ down the drain simply to keep up with the Jones's.

> Mary Astor in TRAPPED BY TELEVISION, 1936

Bela Lugosi goes to the extreme... :D

murder-by-television-1935.jpg

:)

I think if it had not been for the danged Nazis and WW II, all our families would have had television by 1938. Electronic television had been invented by 1936, but once the War started, all electronic dollars went into the War effort in Europe and the US.

1938-ge-tv.jpg

Referring to the Mary Astor photo, that looks like a weapon of mass destruction Ming the Merciless would use. :^0

ming_main1.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Aug 30, 2012 1:23 PM

VHP9_386.jpg

This is from a post by Dobbs below... Guess it came with the image he used...

I like the wagging finger... Delete and replace the script and you could have fun with this...

Thanks for the information.

I killed the original URL, I downloaded the photo as per instructions, and I copied it to TinyPic, and it seems to work now.

(I've managed to log in normally this morning, and I've been logged in for about 3 hours so far.)

Fred :)

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}:)

> I think if it had not been for the danged Nazis and WW II, all our families would have had television by 1938. Electronic television had been invented by 1936, but once the War started, all electronic dollars went into the War effort in Europe and the US.

>

> 1938-ge-tv.jpg

If there had been no war (if Japanese hadn't attacked Americans at Pearl Harbour in 1941, and if Nazis hadn't attacked Poland in 1939 bringing Britain, France, Canada, and others into war) would've been interesting to see what would've happened in Hollywood about meeting the new challenge.

The studio system and the "Golden Age" in Hollywood might have ended a decade earlier??

Also the effects on radio programs would have been felt earlier too...

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}Wonder if they aired "Titanic" (Nazi version)?

>

> [img=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Dk4uSx4fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

>

Just a tip when linking to images from amazon.com, to get rid of those useless white edges (and get a larger pic):

In this example, the image URL is:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Dk4uSx4fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Leave out everything which is bold:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Dk4uSx4fL*._SL500_AA300_*.jpg

Which gives you:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Dk4uSx4fL.jpg

Which will make the cover image look like this (as opposed to what got posted...but sometimes the resulting image will be VERY big):

51Dk4uSx4fL.jpg

Telefunken live TV camera covering 1936 Berlin Olympics, with live images and sound sent to Television Parlors (small theaters with several TV sets) located around Berlin:

pop_mech_11-36.jpg