Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rock n roll doesn't sound the same

TCMfan23

Maybe i've grown up or come to realize what true talent is.

The other day i was listening to the radio and this 60s rock song by The Who came on. I think the song was called "My Generation". I thought the song sucked.

I use to listen to AC/DC when I was younger. Now , I think they're music is a bunch of noise with bad singing and vulger lyrics.

The same goes for The Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger sucks at singing. He sounds annoying.

Jimi Hendrix is a wonderful guitar player. Can't say much about his music. A lot of noise.

The Doors : a couple of they're songs are good.

The Beatles : I like they're early work (1962 - 66).

My favorite musicians are Elvis Presley , Jim Croce and Otis Redding.

Edited by: TCMfan23 on Aug 30, 2012 1:35 PM

Edited by: TCMfan23 on Aug 30, 2012 1:37 PM

My all-time favorite music artist is Elvis. I've been an EP fan and collector since the early 70's. However, your comments about two LEGENDARY Rock & Roll bands make you sound totally clueless about Rock & Roll.

AC/DC is in the running for the GREATEST Rock & Roll band THIS world will ever see. Which is probably one of the reasons that AC/DC can claim something no other rock band can. They have the BEST SELLING studio album in the history of Rock & Roll.

"Back In Black" has sold 22 MILLION COPIES in the United States alone. That is more than any studio album by any rock band. Usually it's only greatest hits that sell in these kind of numbers.

And I don't know what to say about The Rolling Stones. Like the Billboard Top 40 Albums book says "Considered by many to be the world's greatest Rock & Roll band.

I would think even The King himself (Elvis) would like AC/DC and The Rolling Stones. I would be surprised/disappointed if he didn't.

*The Cool TV* channel shows the old rock and roll. Lol, I ran into ZZ Top just the other night. It's been a l-o-n-g time since I've seen them performing on TV. I'm looking at Cool right now and *Great White* is on. This is what MTV suppose to be originally for until they went to pot. :(

To me, it looks like the era we like ended after the 1980's - some stuff were around during the 90's. My brother likes AC/DC, Kiss and Ozzie Osbourne.

I'm not a fan of Black Sabbath. Doesn't appeal to me. Neither does that creep Ozzy Osborne.

Maybe I am clueless about Rock n roll. Maybe I'm a fan of Pop.

I love oldies music. Music from 1955 to the disco era. I like Motown and Doo ****. I've been a fan of oldies music since my early teens.

80s music : I'm not a fan of Madonna or Michael Jackson.

My favorite groups are 38 Special and The Cars. I like Journey , but now I think they're overrated/over-played.

70s music. I'm not crazy about disco. My favorite 70s rock band is Boston. I'm mostly into the singer-songwriter music of the 70s.

Edited by: TCMfan23 on Aug 31, 2012 2:59 AM

Besides the music, another thing I miss are the vinyl LP / Laserdisc jacket covers, especially the foldout type. A few had posters inserted into them.

The "Star Wars" (1977) soundtrack was released so early before the movie, the poster actually has graphical errors i.e. there are a couple of Millennium Falcon's in it, one crashing into a very smal Death Star. I still have it.LOL!

Berkey2.jpg

Gee, I read your list and I like the artists you like and I like the artists you don't like.

So my answer would be that rock n roll does sound the same. Now hip hop and rap.....

Here's my suggestion for the next topic: Briefs in the 70s were so much more comfortable than underwear today! :)

ginnyfan , you aren't making sense. are you saying you like the stuff i don't like ? or you like the same stuff i like ?

about the underwear : you can't find a decent pair of briefs anymore. The rise is either too high or too short. That's what happens when clothing isn't made in America. The same goes for electronics and other stuff.

about LP's : records and tapes will always sound better than CD's and MP3's.

Analog sounds better than digital. It's a fact. I've got Pink Floyd's 'dark side of the moon' on cassette and CD. The cassette sounds better than the CD. The cassette is a earlier release.

On the 'remastered' CD , the music sounds slow and dull.

> {quote:title=OHMSS69 wrote:

> }{quote}AC/DC is in the running for the GREATEST Rock & Roll band THIS world will ever see. Which is probably one of the reasons that AC/DC can claim something no other rock band can. They have the BEST SELLING studio album in the history of Rock & Roll.

> "Back In Black" has sold 22 MILLION COPIES in the United States alone. That is more than any studio album by any rock band. Usually it's only greatest hits that sell in these kind of numbers.

I'm sorry to hear they've sold so many records. But they'll never sell one to me! So many better bands should have that honor of best selling album.

I personally can't stand AD/CD. I guess I prefer singing to screaming.

(And yes I always deliberately say their name wrong, to show my lack of regard for them!)

There is a statue of the legendary Bon Scott (who was voted the #1 rock lead singer ever, in the british magazine "Classic Rock") in Australia. I'm all for erecting statues of legends. Will there be one in the future of "musicalnovelty"? I somehow doubt it.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}ginnyfan , you aren't making sense. are you saying you like the stuff i don't like ? or you like the same stuff i like ?

I like the stuff you like, but I also like the stuff you trashed. I thought I was clear.

> about the underwear : you can't find a decent pair of briefs anymore. The rise is either too high or too short. That's what happens when clothing isn't made in America. The same goes for electronics and other stuff.

I KNEW you'd have an opinion!

> about LP's : records and tapes will always sound better than CD's and MP3's.

>

> Analog sounds better than digital. It's a fact. I've got Pink Floyd's 'dark side of the moon' on cassette and CD. The cassette sounds better than the CD. The cassette is a earlier release.

>

>

>

>

>

> On the 'remastered' CD , the music sounds slow and dull.

The analog v.digital thing can be argued but I have some trouble believing that a cassette of anything sounds better. The media itself is cheap, hissy, and the tape transport speed is way too slow.

But if you like it better, that's all that matters.

Edited by: ginnyfan on Aug 31, 2012 6:45 AM

hmmm....

{font:Calibri}1982 Jackson, MichaelMichael Jackson Thriller Epic 29× Platinum

{font:Calibri}1976 Eagles Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) Asylum 29× Platinum

{font:Calibri}1971 Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin IV Atlantic 23× Platinum

{font:Calibri}1979 Pink Floyd The Wall Columbia/Capitol 11,500,000 23× Platinum

{font:Calibri}1985 Joel, BillyBilly Joel Greatest Hits Volume I & Volume II Columbia 11,500,000 23× Platinum

1980 AC/DC Back in Black Atlantic 22× Platinum

AC/DC is ok, but lets just say their sound is "limited".

Listen to what you like. Turn it off if you don't like it.

Maybe TCM could have a Rock and Roll day? Alan Freed movies, "The Girl Can't Help it", that Mamie Van Doren movie with Eddie Cochran... even some of the concert films like Woodstock and Song Remains the Same, though most of those are unwatchable.....

{font}{font}{font}{font}{font}

TCMfan 23, did you know there was already a thread, a fairly recent one at that, on this very topic? You may want to read the comments there:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=165734&start=0&tstart=0

( I'm not saying you shouldn't have started this thread because of the earlier one, I'm merely directing you and others interested in this topic to a thread started earlier this summer on the same subject. I figured people who want to know what others think about this subject can also read this other thread, that's all.)

By the way, TCMfan 23, what are you going to do when you turn 24? ( I understand it's relatively easy to change one's screen name. You can become TCMfan 24.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 31, 2012 12:07 PM

I have to disagree with you. The Who's "My Generation" was brilliant in that it not only STILL sounds good, but is always relevent.

Look, I sort of know where you might be coming from. But no one here can expect things to stand still for very long. When it comes to music, it's changes come fast, not always for the better, but will always find an appreciative audience somewhere.

I myself don't like much of what's happened with Rock'N'Roll lately, but my experience tells me to be patient, and it'll change once again. Maybe something better is just around the corner.

But there are those who latch on to something they like and make off-hand statements that make others wonder which grade of TIN their ears are made of. Like AC/DC being the "best" Rock'N'Roll band EVER! Not only ME, but many OTHERS would strongly disagree with that. Yet, there will be several others who WILL. Some would say "Zeppelin", others would give the mantle to Aerosmith. Most would give it to the Beatles. Still others would say "the Stones, man!"

Since I made the post too far back to remember which thread I made it in, there was a story I told about the "mock" arguements my Mom and I used to have about music. I called them "mock" because we actually didn't TOTALLY disagree with each other.

I could go on and on about which music I don't like, or which ERA of music I hate, but it would all be pointless. And shouldn't be worth mentioning unless I were conducting some sort of poll.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}...

>

> Since I made the post too far back to remember which thread I made it in, there was a story I told about the "mock" arguements my Mom and I used to have about music. I called them "mock" because we actually didn't TOTALLY disagree with each other....

>

I'm pretty sure you told that story on the "Popular Music Losing Quality" thread I just mentioned and provided a link for, on the post just prior to yours'.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings