Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

James Caan on TCM ?

TCMfan23

ok , i'll let it pass this time. But next year , TCM needs to keep it Golden Age 100 percent. Lord forbid , I see Meryl Streep day next year.

I've waited a year to see 'Slither' again.

wonder why Robert Osborne isn't hosting tonight. I hope it's nothing serious. If he goes , TCM will go with him.

Ah yes, I was waiting for a thread like this to emerge since I saw the schedule yesterday...and yet, I find myself at a strange loss for words this is such an utter curveball.

I could not be more surprised if Francis the Talking Mule had gotten his own day...although in that case I would be a lot more enthused.

It's not just the fact that it's a stunning non sequitor with not just this, but every Summer Under the Stars and with their programming in general...it's not that it's a "modern" "film" "actor" who's getting this attention, and you note the quotes which are indeed intended to be snarky...and the film choices themselves, while all terrible, don't even get to me...I just...uh, eh...er...

*JAMES CAAN?! FOR EFFING REAL?*

This may actually be the most esoteric and inscrutable decision made by the TCM ever. Either that or Caan has the hardest working publicist EVER who also has naked pictures of someone, possibly in bed with Francis the Talking Mule.

I do not get this.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}No one gets it, Addison. Warren would be horrified to know he has Caan the non-actor sandwiched next to him.

>

> It would be like being buried next to Tom Cruise.

That's mean, Willbefree25... I don't understand you, but you are entitled to your opinion... ?:|

Caan had theatrical training at the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre in NYC with one of his instructors being Sanford Meisner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_Meisner

I don't know, he's had a long film career:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Caan

Some like him, some don't. Some like the films he was in, some don't...

His better films were in the 1970s, arguably, so that fits with TCM, barely...

I simply cannot believe there's a James Caan day. Is this an attempt to attract the younger crowd? Most of them probably don't even know who he is! Who's next, Jack Nicholson, Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, Burt Reynolds??

As for being buried next to Tom Cruise . . . better than LIVING anywhere near him whilst alive.

LOL. Someone mentioned awhile back that TCM has been featuring a contemporary star (relatively) for a few years now. So it may happen! They are trying to attract younger audiences, though I think they could've come up with someone better than Caan. As long as it doesnt grow to be a week of them, I'm ok with it......

I'm also not a HUGE fan of James Cann, and I am confused as to why he gets a whole day to himself. I never thought of him as a "Classic" actor, not like Gary Cooper, Ginger Rogers, Ingrid Bergman and Jack Lemmon (all whose days I wholly enjoyed). But I keep an open mind, because I assume that the programers who picked him think him worthy of the slot. I am still young and have a lot to learn about these classic actors so I respect the decision of those who know it all (like Ben Mankewitz and Robert Osborn).

There is usually one international star, one chlid star, one silent-film star and one star from the post-code years. There is usually a 20th Century Fox star and one who spent most of their career at Columbia. And there is always one from the pre-code era, to keep the precoders happy!

As for the post-code performers: two or three years ago it was Julie Christie. I can't remember who it was last year. They have also featured Clint Eastwood and Jane Fonda before. I am sure that Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds and others like Sally Field, Goldie Hawn, Dustin Hoffman and Candice Bergen will be coming up...!

Edited by: TopBilled on Aug 31, 2012 10:06 AM

Yes, I was also waiting for a thread like this. I've never gone to a movie because James Caan was in it, and I've never avoided a movie because he was in it. He's not bad-looking, though not handsome, and his acting is usually adequate, if not very exciting. None of today's films except for ROLLERBALL are well known, and I'm interested to hear what others think of the ones they've seen.

The only two I've seen are THE RAIN PEOPLE, which has some fine touches and a better than usual performance by Caan. Like almost all Coppola films, the pacing is slower than I'd prefer. HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT is the only film Caan directed, and he seems like a competent director. I went to that film because I'd really liked Robert Viharo in an indie film OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN. Viharo plays the petty mobster who marries Caan's ex-wife and goes into the witness protection program. Caan can't see his children because the government is protecting the mobster. This is based on a true story and was filmed on location in Buffalo. By the way, though Viharo got good reviews, the film did nothing for his career.

I'm fine with Caan being chosen as the modern star for SUTS and for TCM showing some unfamiliar films. Do I think Caan has had a much bigger career than his talent would have suggested? Absolutely. But that's true of actors in the classic era as well, like George Brent.

*"Someone mentioned awhile back that TCM has been featuring a contemporary star (relatively) for a few years now."* - Hibi

The list of post-studio-era "Stars" honored during past SUTS includes -

Robert Duvall

Gene Hackman

Michael Caine

Anne Bancroft

Joanne Woodward

Jane Fonda

As I wrote before, each of the above were honored with film line-ups drawn from the 1960s to the 1980s - the same era from which today's Caan film line-up has been chosen.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Aug 31, 2012 10:30 AM

Don't forget Julie Christie and Clint Eastwood, they have also been included and some of their films from the 1970s were shown during SUTS.

To me, a post-code star is the perfect bookend to a pre-code star, and they also get featured. The SUTS program is usually quite diverse when you think about it. And that's as it should be...something for everyone.

Considering as how the following name doesn't appear in your post here TB, wouldn't one think that Jack Nicholson would've been picked as a "post-studio system" star to be SUTS honored way before James Caan?

I mean, who else since the early 1970s has been more honored by the Academy and loved by film critics, AND has probably starred in more "classics" since that time, eh?!

I mean, Caan is basically in only ONE "classic", The Godfather and he's not even the "star" of it, whereas you have Chinatown and One Flew Over the Cockoo's Nest just to begin the list in which Nicholson has starred in.

(...yep, Caan would MAYBE eventually be MY pick as a SUTS "honoree" sometime around the year 2021...MAYBE!)

Another thing that people are not realizing is that Jimmy Caan's films air continuously throughout the year. Maybe they are stuffed into the early morning hours, or ROLLERBALL gets an occasional Saturday afternoon...but he is played all year. I think folks are just realizing it today, because they are all jammed into a 24-hour period.

Another one, because he was under contract to MGM like Caan, is David Hemmings. His work frequently shows up and people do not cry foul about him. Now if we have a David Hemmings day next year, there will be threads and lions and tigers and bears oh my.

All joking aside, I think *DeNiro, Nicholson or Hoffman* would've been better choices for the "mod slot".

I also think part of the problem here is the Warren William Whiplash we feel from going straight from WW's day to James Caan day. I think having Eva Marie Saint's day yesterday would've helped buffer the jarring and putting Warren William back a ways with Kay Fwancis makes more sense.

The whole parade of SUTS entries had a "names from a hat" quality to it...with the notable exception of Marilyn's day (the high point for me)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Aug 31, 2012 1:40 PM

>The whole parade of SUTS entries had a "names from a hat" quality to it

That is obviously your opinion. The Ingrid Bergman day was scheduled to coincide with the 30th anniversary of her death. I do not think the programmers pulled her name from a hat.

Earlier in the month, Marilyn's films aired the day before the 50th anniversary of her death.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings