Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If TCM is selling certain DVDs is that film in their library?

Lori3

I have maybe a stupid question but, If TCM is selling certain films on DVD and Blu-ray, do they also have those films in their "library" and then do they have the airing rights to show those films?

Thank you

Lori3

Lori,

It would depend on the rental contract. I think that just because TCM is promoting a DVD doesn't necessarily mean they have the rights to air the film.

Markfp can probably speak to that better. Might be worth PMing him about it. He used to work in broadcast and has a pretty good knowledge of how these things work.

Somebody looking for me?

There's a couple of things that need to be remembered. First and foremost, as many of us know, is that TCM does not own any film it shows. Everything is leased. Even the films that were once part of the Turner Entertainment library are now controlled by somebody else and must be leased too.

When TCM or any channel, for that matter, leases films from a studio they only get limited rights to show those films for an agreed number of showings in a specified length of time. They do not get home video, theatrical or streaming rights which are seperate things and sometimes controlled by even another party. To get those rights would require seperate negotiations and additional costs.

The second thing is that TCM doesn't actually sell anything. When TCM promotes a DVD release, even ones with their name or logo on it, it's because of some marketing arrangement they have with the studio or distributor that is selling them. Same is true when you order through TCM.com. You are actually being linked to Movies Unlimited, a major online retailer. These arrangements are complicated and I don't really know the specifics, but I'm sure TCM isn't doing it for nothing. After all, they have to keep commercials out of the movies somehow.

So the simple answer to the original question is no. Just because TCM can show certain films doesn't mean they can sell them too. Neither can they show a film just because they're promoting its DVD release.

Hope that answers it. Happy holiday.

Yes markfp2. You answered my question. I thank you very much for taking the time to do so.

I guess, then with out knowing if TCM has the rights to air a certain film, all I can do is list the film or films in the "Suggest a Movie" section and hope for the best?

I know they (TCM) did air one of the films I am interested in being aired again, but that was probably at least 5-6 years ago.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. I appreciate it very much.

Lori

I always tell people to keep requesting films. It's a fact that TCM's programmers take those requests into consideration, just as they do comments on these boards. Remember though, sometimes it takes a very long time for them to get certain films and for many reasons some simply aren't available to them.

> The second thing is that TCM doesn't actually sell anything. When TCM promotes a DVD release, even ones with their name or logo on it, it's because of some marketing arrangement they have with the studio or distributor that is selling them.

All the movies promoted in the "Hi, this is the TCM Classic Movie news report for (insert month here)" or the box sets they advertise? Dollars to doughnuts I'd wager it's a barter agreement: we promote certain DVDs from your studio, and you let us have the cable rights to certain movies from your studio. And yes, it's advertising.

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote} Dollars to doughnuts I'd wager it's a barter agreement: we promote certain DVDs from your studio, and you let us have the cable rights to certain movies from your studio.

I'll bet TCM's programmers would be thrilled if they could barter the cost of the movies for plugging DVD releases, but I doubt the studios would go for that. For a barter to work, it has to benefit both parties. The studios couldn't possibly sell enough DVDs to make up for the huge amount that TCM pays for movies every year. Still, that doesn't mean there couldn't be some involved say in the area of marketing the TCM "brand".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings