Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MOUTHPIECE totally rocked!!!

markbeckuaf

Just watched this one, not the first time. It was remade at least twice, once with George Brent in the title role, another with Eddie G himself in the role (late 50's for that one). All versions have been good, but this one rocked the house! Aline MacMahon is just totally great in this type of role, and WW is at his best!

Anyone else dig this one?

I watched because it's one of William's films I hadn't seen although I do seem to remember the poison scene for some reason. It was pretty good--and I was surprised that I actually had a tear in my eye at the end. William, MacMahon & Fox were all very good. Highly recommended.

BRENT?????????? Ack!

Warren is wonderful, isn't he? I hope the cabblie got him to the hospital in time, nice of them not to have him die at the end.

Yes, the entire day is glorious, wonderful (except for the stupid women of course), and Warren is beautiful and lovely and a true actor and star. He should have made it bigger.

Too bad TCM hasn't thought of releasing the entire SUTS WW day, intact, on DVD.

She was *wonderful*. As were all of the other supporting players. Even the judge from Awful Truth was in there.

Aline was not pretty enough to be a stupid man hungry jack*** woman, it seems. I guess the wankers in the studios were too dumb to know she could deliver a line as if it were 2012, and then some, since there are still so many stupid man hungry jack*** women actors today. They probably paid no attention to her performance, and she knocked it out of the park each and every time.

Thank you, Aline, you and other actors like you shoulda been stars. Hey, can TCM include her when they give other stars like Sam Levene and James Gleason a day on SUTS next year?

Don't even bother, whatever your name was, you're on ignore. Dog bless ignore.

TCM, please, pretty please, can you put out a compendium of the entire WW day? You have at least two buyers and I'm guessing there will be more, if they have a brain in their head.

Bless her heart, she lived until 1991, dying at the age of 92. TCM, did you ever think of inviting HER to speak on your station? Have you thought to invite Lizabeth Scott yet? No, of course not. What's the matter, too many wrinkles, she hasn't airbrushed her forehead, as RO has done? Wake up, before it's too late, make Lizabeth Scott an offer she can't refuse for the sake of the fans out there and the idiots who don't know that soon they will ALL be dead and then it's too late.

At least my teevee can get a well-deserved rest today, since the non-classic so-so actor Caan is on, and not even in Godfather, how stupid is TCM today after so freaking brilliant yesterday? Maybe TCM or Charlie whatshisname is bi-polar?

I always thought that Aline MacMahon was considered to be in the very top rung of character actors, at least by those who are familiar with her work. As with so many others in her category, her underappreciation is more a matter of lack of exposure than an underestimation of her talent.

Anyway, I totally agree that she'd be worthy of a SUTS day, with her magnificent performance as the UN Refugee worker in Montgomery Clift's The Search to be the prime time feature. Since that relatively obscure 1948 film doesn't often get paired with her better known 1930's movies, it's easy to miss, but God, is she ever terrfic as the woman whose tireless effort finally reunites a child with his mother after years of separation. But then that film works on so many levels that even in the absence of a MacMahon SUTS day it's worth at least one screening a year.

the UN Refugee worker in Montgomery Clift's The Search

Darn it, another one I've never seen. I'm not overly fond of Clift, but if I knew Aline gives one of her usually excellent performances, I'd be there.

Speaking of character actors, that was a side of Gene Lockhart I've never seen before. He almost stole the movie from Warren. I can't remember seeing him utilized in that manner ever again.

Just an amazing day for classically classic movie lovers.

The Search is one of Clift's best roles, and besides him and MacMahon, there are two other magnificent performances by Ivan Jandl (the boy) and Jarmila Novotná (his mother). Another feature of the movie is that it was shot on location in the midst of the ruins of Nuremburg, Ingolstadt and Wurzburg, which gives it a realistic touch that would be hard to duplicate in a studio. It's a film that should be seen by anyone interested in the history of postwar Europe, a visual and dramatic reminder of what the world had just been through, along with a spirit of human solidarity that Hollywood is mostly incapable of depicting. Although there aren't any battle scenes, it's still one of the very best "war" movies we've ever produced.

I know that the above sounds a bit like a badly written publicity blurb, but every word of it comes from the heart. It's a movie that will never "date".

The Search has been on TCM several times. You must have missed the 8 to 10 times it's aired. Oh, and TCM went on the air in 1994 so it would have been kind of difficult to interview MacMahon.

BTW, there was no need for the vulgar remark regarding her either.

Edited by: helenbaby on Aug 31, 2012 10:26 AM

> TCM, did you ever think of inviting HER to speak on your station? Have you thought to invite Lizabeth Scott yet? No, of course not.

While Lizabeth Scott has attended TCM events over the years, she continues to turn down repeated TCM requests for interviews.

As much as we would all like those involved in the "golden age" of film making to sit down and share their stories with us, the bottom line is that many of them just aren't interested in doing so.

Some, like Kim Novak, change their minds but others remain adamant.

But, your mileage, as always, may vary.

VULGAR regarding Aline? Wow, reread what I wrote.

It was a *compliment.* She wasn't old fat pervert studio head dumb blonde pretty - now WAS she? No, of course she wasn't, but she was beautiful in her own way - and so was not picked for stupid dumb blonde man hungry women roles.

Wow, I missed TCM's inception by 3 years, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Yes, I did miss The Search all the times it was on. Missed it because I don't like Clift.

No need for you to be so nasty either.

> {quote:title=Jezebelle wrote:}{quote}

> I've never heard of Warren Williams before his day but I'm sure glad I know him now. I love how his movies are racier and more risque than the others from the 1930s.

I'm glad you've discovered him! He one of the greatest, and he never disappoints.

They're racier because a lot of them are Pre-Codes (made before the establishment of the Hays Code which established what movies could, and couldn't, show).

Thanks, mr6666 ... I'd never heard of him.

Interesting info on him at the link below, including:

"He’s the guy that the joke was wrote about:

"‘Is he a criminal lawyer?’

"'Yes, very.’"

–Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest

http://nypress.com/bill-fallon-the-great-mouthpiece-and-archetypal-amoral-criminal-defense-lawyer/

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings