Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clint Eastwood at the RNC tonight

Swithin

Clint Eastwood is my all-time favorite actor/movie star. I own all his best movies on DVD. However, his support of the woefully unqualified Romney just proves that even a legend can be misguided.

What bothers me most about voters Eastwood's age voting republican is that a president enacts policies that will affect the future. A future voters in their 80's WILL NOT SEE because they won't be here for it. It's not like they are middle aged. Human beings do not live to 160.

If being a multi-millionaire qualifies one to be president, then I suppose Donald Trump could be president (although my mind REELS at the very thought).

Apparently, he adlibbed it. Rachel Maddow sat there stunned after it, saying it was the strangest thing she had ever seen at a convention. And would be if she lived to be 100. Later, she said that she left the MSNBC reporting area to get something because she thought her blood sugar had dropped so low that she had passed out and it had done something to her brain because this couldn't possibly be real in the last hour of the Republican convention.

Republican spokespeople, the ones who usually defend everything.

Just to be more specific: The Republican spokespeople I heard were saying that Mitt and Rubio gave good speeches but that the conversation tomorrow is going to be about Clint's performance. Someone who thought Romney's speech was great said "The Clint thing blew their final night, I can't believe they let that happen."

What will we be talking about at work tomorrow? Not Mitt.

What is the matter with Eastwood? Was he lucid? Eastwood looked dottering, was he making fun of old people?

As far as the Florida demographics, the seniors went to bed thinking Romney is mocking them with Eastwood up there doing the cranky old man routine.

They will be talking about Eastwood and his imaginary friend argument. That is the takeaway from this convention.

> {quote:title=JakeHolman wrote: }{quote}Clint spoke his mind as a time and true tested American who pointed out what many of us *know*. The question is why give *him* a pass because of his *unique* history?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Let's move on and learn from it

What are you talking about? Who "him" and what "unique"? Are you talking about the President of the United States of America? And what did Eastwood point out that "many of us know"? I think I know what you are saying (from your "as a time and true tested American" coded phrase is possibly saying) but I want you to say it.

When Eastwood said that "Obama" was telling him to say something to Romney, and Eastwood replied that he couldn't tell Romney to do that to himself...I felt that was very offensive. The President doesn't like talk that and it only made people dislike Eastwood more at that moment.

Learn what from it, that Eastwood embarassed himself, that tonight may be one of the last things they ever see of him? I shudder at that.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}Republican spokespeople, the ones who usually defend everything.

>

>

>

> Just to be more specific: The Republican spokespeople I heard were saying that Mitt and Rubio gave good speeches but that the conversation tomorrow is going to be about Clint's performance. Someone who thought Romney's speech was great said "The Clint thing blew their final night, I can't believe they let that happen."

Agree. Those who just tuned into the regular networks (not the cable news networks) for that one hour and that was the first thing they saw must have been flabbergasted.

What? You mean Eastwood wasn't doing a send-up of Jimmy Stewart in *Harvey* at the RNC? Certainly looked like it to me. He even had Stewart's stammer down pat.

I have no feelings - pro or con - about Eastwood's presence at the RNC beyond the basic question of "Why was he there?" A friend and I were trying to name any other A-list celebrity / film star who ever appeared at a political convention of either party in this manner. My friend suggested Sammy Davis Jr. with an additional mention of Pearl Bailey, who many years ago was a delegate at one convention.

But otherwise we both seemed to agree that no "name" celebrity has ever been involved in a political convention in the way Eastwood was going to be tonight.

And to the "reaction", this is from an Associated Press article -

"Backstage, stern-faced Romney aides winced at times as Eastwood's remarks stretched on."

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Aug 31, 2012 5:34 AM

I was watching The Mind Reader at the time of Eastwood's speech, so I guess I'll have to see it on YouTube for a first hand impression. But if this comment that's been spreading around the internet has any semblance to reality, Eastwood didn't do Romney much good:

*This is a perfect representation of the campaign: an old white man arguing with an imaginary Barack Obama.*

Wow. I hope he was either drunk or drugged.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/defense-clint-eastwood-weird-fantastic-025825753--election.html

Is it his too young wife? Scrambled his brains? His agent doesn't know enough to shut up a man near dementia?

Sad. But hilarious. A perfect symbol of the GOP.

Oh, and John Wayne pretender? Comb your hair.

*You are all welcome to your opinions about politics, but please share them elsewhere. Discussion of current political topics is not allowed on the TCM forums. This rule will be vigorously enforced. *

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings