Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Loretta Young for January 2013 SOTM!

VP19

Why that particular month? Because Ms. Young was born in January 1913.

The pre-Code revival vaulted several actresses out of relative obscurity -- Constance Bennett, Kay Francis, Ann Dvorak. That really doesn't apply to Young; she was in the public eye into the '40s, '50s and '60s thanks to her Oscar for "The Farmer's Daughter" and then her television anthology series. But the pre-Code revival unveiled a Loretta largerly unknown to most of us -- a woman of youthful, ethereal beauty who was a splendid actress as well, hardly the prim, pious lady we saw on our TV screens.

I never thought I would become a Loretta Young fan...but several years of TCM has opened my eyes. She's terrific -- and for perfect proof, watch her in "Employees' Entrance," where she holds her own with Warren William (and her drunken scene at the employees' party is sublime)

Carole Lombard was honored in the month of her centenary (October 2008); so was Jean Harlow (March 2011). Loretta Young deserves similar treatment...especially since there are plenty of pre-Code goodies available to TCM (along with some of her better later work at 20th Century-Fox).

Excellent idea. Plus Fox, her home studio for many years, has become willing to rent to TCM, and TCM's parent company owns all of her precode work plus some later works to boot. Maybe we could finally get a glimpse at Second Floor Mystery and Too Young to Be Married?

I think TCM did a Loretta Young tribute a few months back.

Has anyone heard of the young-Gable scandal. Loretta Young had Clark Gable's child. If I remember right , Gable was married at the time and Young had to give up the child. I read about it in 'Hollywood Babylon : it's back'.

I've always thought Ms. Young to be one of the weaker actors of the classic period, and that includes the pre-code films.

Regarding the "scandal," I think that has been authenticated recently, is that correct? It had to be covered up, given the times.

*Has anyone heard of the young-Gable scandal. Loretta Young had Clark Gable's child. If I remember right , Gable was married at the time and Young had to give up the child.*

Well, she didn't give it up, at least not for long. Shortly after the finishing of CALL OF THE WILD, which she made with Gable in 1935, she went to Europe to "recover' from some unnamed "illness'. Several movies meant for her had to be reassigned, cancelled or postponed. She returned in early-mid1936, nearly one year after being gone. Approximately one year later, she announced to the press that she had found two young girls in an orphanage and had decided to adopt them. One was supposedly sent back after a short while, but tongues wagged to no end when Judy, the one Loretta kept, had Gable;s ears. Of course, a divorced Loretta could not have disclosed an out of wedlock child without throwing away her career.

Judy learnt the truth of her father when she was a young adult. Much later, in the early 90s, sh wrote a book about her story "Uncommon Knowledge", confirming that this was true. I believe Loretta never spoke about this in public.

Technically, Loretta's first marriage was anulled, so she wasnt divorced. (unsure about the particulars, I guess they didnt do it? LOL.....) But of course the result would've been the same. Unwed mother.......

If I remember correctly, Gable was married at the time Judy was conceived. If he had been single, I am sure L.B. Mayer would've pressured him to marry Loretta and thus solve the problem. Since this was not an option, Loretta had to take care of it herself.

Interestingly, Mayer hired Loretta for a few films in the early 1950s. CAUSE FOR ALARM! was one of them, and another one was KEY TO THE CITY. This film, KEY TO THE CITY, reunited Loretta and Clark on screen. This would have been around the time Judy was 14 or 15. She says that while the picture was in production, he came by their house to see Loretta and this was when she had her first conversation with the man who was her father. That is probably when she began to piece together the real identity of her biological parents.

• 2 months later...

I want to bring this thread to the top of the forum. First, I am doing this because arguments and political discussions have begun to permeate the thread I created (which will likely cause it to get locked).

Also, I want to recognize VP19's very prophetic comments from late August about Miss Young deserving SOTM treatment in January.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}....

>

> I never thought I would become a Loretta Young fan...but several years of TCM has opened my eyes. She's terrific -- and for perfect proof, watch her in "Employees' Entrance," where she holds her own with Warren William (and her drunken scene at the employees' party is sublime) ...

>

This really piqued my curiousity. I looked *Employees' Entrance* up, and now I'm eager to see it. Loretta was in some really fun pre-codes, and this sounds like one of them.

Just FYI, it's airing on TCM on Wednesday January 9th at 8:00 p.m.

(Hope we can get it in Canada. The Canadian schedule for January is not up yet.)

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I want to bring this thread to the top of the forum. First, I am doing this because arguments and political discussions have begun to permeate the thread I created (which will likely cause it to get locked).

>

> Also, I want to recognize VP19's very prophetic comments from late August about Miss Young deserving SOTM treatment in January.

What will cause a thread to get locked is you characterizing what another poster wrote as

*RUBBISH.* That's abusive.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}If I remember correctly, Gable was married at the time Judy was conceived. If he had been single, I am sure L.B. Mayer would've pressured him to marry Loretta and thus solve the problem. Since this was not an option, Loretta had to take care of it herself.

>

> Interestingly, Mayer hired Loretta for a few films in the early 1950s. CAUSE FOR ALARM! was one of them, and another one was KEY TO THE CITY. This film, KEY TO THE CITY, reunited Loretta and Clark on screen. This would have been around the time Judy was 14 or 15. She says that while the picture was in production, he came by their house to see Loretta and this was when she had her first conversation with the man who was her father. That is probably when she began to piece together the real identity of her biological parents.

Interesting...

From what I read, it was the one and only time that Judy met her father. She had two younger half-brothers by Loretta, and another much-younger half-brother by Clark (born after the actor died).

I would like to think that maybe Clark went to Loretta's house in the 1930s when Judy was a baby to see her, but it is unclear whether he knew Judy was his child. Or that if he did possess that knowledge, whether he was allowed to be part of her life, even indirectly.

This is one of the most fascinating stories of classic Hollywood in my opinion, and it makes watching KEY TO THE CITY so fascinating...because here we have these two back together, on screen at least, and that had to have stirred up old memories.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings