Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
boss1968

Why are movies now shown with a black bar completely around the picture ?

I believe it is indeed Time Warner's doing. I have already called them several times to set up appointments, to have them come over to 'correct' the taping problem, but they constantly delay and reschedule the appointments. Gee, I wonder why ?

So, I have been stuck for weeks now, not being able to tape any movies off TCM. :-(

Update :

Okay, I had a techie from Time Warner Cable finally come over to find out why TCM is being blocked from recording/taping on my DVD recorder. He could not solve the problem, and called his supervisor. The supervisor promptly told him that ever since TCM switched its' signal, this past August, from SD to HD, that channel is now blocking all taping. He said it is TCM that has chosen to block the signal, not Time Warner.

So, is this true ? Is TCM really now blocking its' signal from recording on Time Warner Cable ? I know it seems to still work on Dish, Fios, and DirectTV, from what I have read on the boards, but why is it being blocked on TWC ?

Anyone else know or can confirm this ?

All I know is that now I can't tape anything off TCM ! NOTHING ! This is absolutely awful...........

Hi,

Right now I'm watching Affair In Trinidad on Cinemoi, and it has black bars all around.

But I find that if I switch my LCD TV from Pix 1 to Pix 3, the picture enlarges and the bars at the top and bottom disappear.

What we are apparently seeing is a 4:3 letterbox format on our TV screens, and enlarging the screens to Pix 3 is the way we are supposed to view them. This leaves only narrow black bars on the right and left of the 4:3 image, since the original film is NOT a wide screen film.

:)

I live in Niagara-on-the-Lake, (not far from Toronto), we do not have Rogers here, only Bell and Cogeco and I don't have that problem with the black borders. Maybe the problem is with your carrier.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Hi,

>

> Right now I'm watching Affair In Trinidad on Cinemoi, and it has black bars all around.

>

> But I find that if I switch my LCD TV from Pix 1 to Pix 3, the picture enlarges and the bars at the top and bottom disappear.

>

You figured it out, Fred. Most people don't. After sixty years of just turning on a TV when the only thing that might need adjustment was the volume, very few understand that new TV's are designed to be adjusted depending on the aspect ratio of the broadcast. That's why that control is there in the first place. With some channels in HD, some not, some letterbox, some fullscreen, every channel is not going to match every other one anymore.

Of course, if somebody doesn't want to do that, there's always one setting that will enlarge or stretch everything to fill the screen. It might crop or distort the picture a bit, but at least it will be full. That bothers me, I want to see programming in it's original formmat, but a lot folks are fine with it.

Maybe New York got these classic movies mixed in with large sugary soda drinks that are being banned. People that record TCM drink too much soda so they are banning both to prevent obesity and tooth decay. Next will be buttery popcorn and then large screen TVs.

Boss 1968 and I have had the same problem in NYC and he's followed up with Time Warner Cable and I never got around to it (thanks, Boss!, and a slap on the wrist to me).

I did do a little Internet searching and found that apparently Sony machines are more sensitive than other brands to the encoding that prevents programs from being recorded.

I've had the same problem with Cartoon Network as far as recording -- but the picture is not in a reduced aspect ratio like TCM (that is, no black bars surrounding the picture on all sides). I haven't bothered to check Boomerang to see if I can record there. CNN, also out of Atlanta, records just fine, over the air or on demand. I can't record anything off TCM or Cartoon Network with my Sony DVD recorder either over the air or on demand.

I know how to change the way I view the picture on my screen so that it fills the display area -- that's not the issue. It's why, in late August, suddenly these two channels no longer worked the way they had before as far as recording/time shifting so that customers like Boss and I could enjoy the programming in our own homes without being tied down by the schedule. And whether there's a fix for it.

> {quote:title=NewYorkGuy wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

>

> I did do a little Internet searching and found that apparently Sony machines are more sensitive than other brands to the encoding that prevents programs from being recorded.

>

>

>

>

I have an older Tivo and get an SD signal, and I have no problem recording anything (as I previously have said).

What I don't understand is this "recording prevention" encoding people keep bringing up. Ever since the days of VCR's, a person is SUPPOSED to be able to record anything they want to as long as it's (as has been said over the years) "for private home use only". Do studios actually employ a recoding prevention signal these days? That doesn't make sense at all.

Can someone provide a link to online info regarding such prevention methods? I've actually never really heard or read of such a thing.

Just to clarify : New York Guy and I, are referring to recording the stations using DVD recorders, NOT dvr. We know that dvrs are working for everybody, that is not the issue. It's just that, all of a sudden this past August, TCM has become 'blocked' from recording using DVD recorders. And I have 3 DVD recorders (all diff brands), and they each are blocked from recording TCM, so it is not a DVD brand issue, it is either TWCableNY or TCM, that is blocking the signal.

I've had cable for 18 years now, and have been able to tape TCM, without any probs, up until this August. And yes, there are quite a few other channels that have been blocked, over the years, like all HBO/Cinemax stations, Encore, Fuse, and most recently TV Land and Cartoon Network. But TCM was my bread and butter, and my fave station, so to not be able to record it now, is very sad.

And like I said, I had a cable tech over the house recently, and he, nor his supervisor, could solve the issue, other than saying it is TCM that is blocking the signal, since they switched to HD format.

So, what to do ?

> {quote:title=boss1968 wrote:}{quote}Just to clarify : New York Guy and I, are referring to recording the stations using DVD recorders, NOT dvr.

>

> So, what to do ?

>

I assume you meant to reply to me, not to NYG. ?:|

I haven't recorded directly to DVD in years...with my first DVD recorder I was doing that for awhile and wasted too many discs for one reason or another, using non-rewritable discs. Then I switched to rewritables, and eventually gave that up due to periodic problems for one reason or another. I now no longer record to DVD first, but instead use my Tivo DVR and then decide if I want to save to DVDR. Far fewer problems that way...in fact, I don't recall ANY problems I've had doing it that way. I still use rewritables to record from Tivo, and finalize the discs on my computer onto a DVDR non-rewritable. Again...I can't recall any major issues I've had doing it that way for years now.

My guess is it might have something to do with your cable provider and the individual stations you record from. Can't say for sure, because...as I said below...I use a Tivo DVR and have never had a problem recording anything from any channel, including some of the ones you mentioned.

I would still like to read some information as to this supposed copyguard that is presumably being transmitted on some stations and interfers with recording...I've never heard of such a thing. If it really does exist, then it appears as though it only causes problems with direct-to-DVD recordings, and not with a DVR.

Digital Rights Management on the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management#DRM_and_television

As far as I know, Comcast does not deliberately block recording of anything, with the possible exception of Pay Per View, which I don't use. At various locations around the country, some head-ends have accidentally "set the flag," so that some, or all, channels could not be recorded. Usually, that eventually goes away.

There was a recent report on the AVS Forum that some Comcast Motorola non-DVR STBs (set top boxes) were inserting the flag. Comcast was said to be aware of it, and trying to fix it.

One other common impediment to recording is that most cable systems are going all, or nearly all, digital. TCM-SD has been digital where I am for more than a year. That means that most DVD recorders couldn't record it, unless they had a QAM tuner. Besides that, TCM has been elevated to a higher tier on many cable systems, meaning that the signal has been scrambled, and must be decoded by a STB from the service provider, and couldn't be recorded by a DVDR with a QAM tuner, except from the output of a STB. Could this be your problem, Boss1968?

Of the 230 channels I have on Cox Cable...TCM is the ONLY one that has 4" Vertical black Bars on either side and 2" Horizontal on top & bottom.

Not even my Settings to 4:3 S-t-r-e-t-c-h works; no 16X9, No Zoom1 or even Zoom 2.

This all began about 2 weeks ago. Samsung CService says..my Cable Provider is sending too high of a signal.

Oh really? Why not the other channels? My Cable Provider says (naturally) it's my TV settings.

Why ofcourse...how stupid of me.....

Seriously...what has TCM done lately that would make (them) exclusive to this BorderIssue?