Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Don't Understand how "SPAM" works

misswonderly3

Currently ( it's around 10:30 Saturday morning) there are at least 3 new threads, all apparently about the television series "Doctor Who".

So, first: I don't mind this show, I understand it's pretty good, although I've only seen it once.

Second: Whether it's good or not, why is this person ( more than one name, but I suspect it's the same individual) doing this?

Starting even one thread about it seems unnecessary, but ok, whatever...sometimes there are threads about television series here.

But why bother creating 2 or 3 threads, all about exactly the same thing?

And why doesn't this person explain themselves at all, something like

"I know there are some sci-fi fans on this site, are any of you familiar with the "Dr.Who" series?"

instead of just jumping right in .

So, I guess this is considered "spam" ?

Why do they do it? What's its point? How does it benefit either the spam poster or the boards?

What's it all about, Alfie?

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 1, 2012 10:37 AM

Just checked...it's actually the same screen name for all 3 threads, so that bit about "why do they use different names?" was incorrect on my part.

Hard to know why. I have been told by computer tech guys that if someone clicks on a website that has been referred to in a post and if that website is bogus, your computer can get a virus.(same with emails). Why anyone would want to do that is beyond comprehenston, but there are nuts out there.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}Currently ( it's around 10:30 Saturday morning) there are at least 3 new threads, all apparently about the television series "Doctor Who".

>

> So, first: I don't mind this show, I understand it's pretty good, although I've only seen it once.

> Second: Whether it's good or not, why is this person ( more than one name, but I suspect it's the same individual) doing this?

> Starting even one thread about it seems unnecessary, but ok, whatever...sometimes there are threads about television series here.

> But why bother creating 2 or 3 threads, all about exactly the same thing?

>

>

> And why doesn't this person explain themselves at all, something like

> "I know there are some sci-fans on this site, are any of you familiar with the "Dr.Who" series?"

> instead of just jumping right in .

>

>

>

>

>

> So, I guess this is considered "spam" ?

>

>

>

>

>

> Why do they do it? What's its point? How does it benefit either the spam poster or the boards?

> What's it all about, Alfie?

>

>

> Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 1, 2012 10:37 AM

> Just checked...it's actually the same screen name for all 3 threads, so that bit about "why do they use different names?" was incorrect on my part.

>

Now you're sounding like I used to, Miss Wonderly...

I have no idea, either, and I don't care... Just ignore it...

BTW, "Doctor Who" is a longstanding British TV series and there were films made in the 1960s about the good doctor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_%28Dalek_films%29

Peter Cushing played the character in the 1960s films...

Edited by: RMeingast on Sep 1, 2012 10:51 AM

A lot of people are into this show. Late Show host Craig Ferguson goes on and on about it. I don't know why because I haven't seen it. It's not really been shown much in my area, except for a short spell on PBS in the early '80's.

It sounds like the situation with Reggae music. Some areas of this country just LOVE it. Never went over here in the Detroit area. In the late '70's, the GROUP The Who came in on tour with Bob Tosh opening for them. The crowd booed him so much he didn't even finish his set.

As for "spam" in general, I don't understand that either. Most people I know ignore it, but people keep throwing it onto websites anyway, so it must work somewhere.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> A lot of people are into this show. Late Show host Craig Ferguson goes on and on about it. I don't know why because I haven't seen it. It's not really been shown much in my area, except for a short spell on PBS in the early '80's.

>

"Doctor Who" actually very good from what episodes I've seen over the years...

I would compare it to the American series "Star Trek" and its spin-offs to the popularity of "Doctor Who" in Britain...

As for Craig Ferguson, he's been in a lot of films...

His early stuff is pretty funny. One example is:

"The Big Tease" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Tease

Anyway, ignore or reply to those other threads as you wish, is my advice...

You have been told? Lucky you!

I am usually quite vigilant about the little youknowwhats who delight in infecting our laptops, but one day I say a notice that LOOKED like it was from Windows and it said 'click here'. Well, abstractedly because I usually never do what someone tells me to do, I did ............ and that was all she wrote. The fat lady sang.

There was NOTHING I could do, safe mode, restore, nothing, to get back my computer.

So, now I know better, but there are always smarter youknowwhats out there waiting to ruin your life. 'Why?' is my question too. What do these wankers get out of it? Darned if I know.

Moral of the story: do *NOT* click when you're told to click!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spam is freelance sales.

If you want your site advertised at minimum cost, you let spammers do it. They write their little adverts and put them in every place they can. The links in the ad are coded to let the site know who led the customer there. (The links in one might be htp:slimesite.com/spammer#1, another's will be htp:slimeiste/spammer#2. Both redirect to htp:slimesite.com, but the site's software records the hit to the /spammer#x page.)

The site then pays the spammer for each customer it brought in.

From a site's standpoint, it's a win-win. They get hundreds or thousands of people pimping for them, and they only have to pay for results.

It's also a good deal from the spammer's viewpoint. They have no cost other than their usual Internet connection. They spend a great deal of time setting up accounts in different places, but when they've got everything lined up right, they can put their spam on more than a hundred forums in less than an hour. It doesn't take many people clicking their links to make them a lot of money.

Freelance sales?

Why, are some people stupid enough to click on links they don't search for themselves and then BUY from one of these wankers? I know they get credited for the 'eyeballs' that result from an idiot clicking on an unsolicited site, but BUYING from them?

Seriously? Really?

Darn, I have really underestimated the amount of stupid people out there.

Now those 3 "spam" threads are totally gone...they've just been quietly removed, I presume by the board admin. people.

Ok, I've got better things to think about, but I do wonder why these people bother. Shirley it isn't to plant "viruses" in unsuspecting innocents' computers?

Is it really to let people know about a tv show they know and love? ( in this case, "Dr. Who".)

It just seems like such a waste of time...kind of like the way I'm wasting time wondering about it, I suppose...

It's really a shame Doctor Who is being dragged down into the slime this way. The current series is carrying on a long tradition in grand style.

BBCAmerica is currently running a Doctor Who marathon, leading up to tonight's season premiere.

Personally, I think it's one of the best shows on tv, but it's clearly not to everyone's taste. It mixes camp humor with deeply serious ethical issues. The fact it doesn't take itself seriously turns off a lot of people. Heck, the fact it's science fiction turns off a lot of people.

Imnsho, most people who don't like it simply can't get their mind around some of the concepts. One continuing character is a woman who knows the Doctor out of sync, i.e. the first time he meets her, she's known him all her life, and it's the last time, for her, they'll meet (that's one of the perils of dating a time traveler).

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}Now those 3 "spam" threads are totally gone...they've just been quietly removed, I presume by the board admin. people.

>

> Ok, I've got better things to think about, but I do wonder why these people bother. Shirely it isn't to plant "viruses" in unsuspecting innocents' computers?

> Is it really to let people know about a tv show they know and love? ( in this case, "Dr. Who".)

>

> It just seems like such a waste of time...kind of like the way I'm wasting time wondering about it, I suppose...

Yes, why worry about it? And why worry in the first place??

This message board is really getting ridiculous...

I have no idea who the "Doctor Who" user was/is and have no idea why they posted what they did.

But you, Miss Wonderly, have started a whole thread on the subject...

Time to let it pass away peacefully... (I can't believe I'm writing this to you - Miss Wonderly!)

'Tho I suppose TCM could air the Peter Cushing "Doctor Who" flicks from the 1960s.

I don't think I've seen them??

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I do wonder why these people bother. Shirely it isn't to plant "viruses" in unsuspecting innocents' computers?

Sometimes it is.

There are people who get their kicks by destroying things (I don't think it's an unnatural impulse. In my hometown, a fundraiser at the county fair was getting to hit an old police car with a sledgehammer. It was only $1 a whack, and they always raised thousands).

The worst viruses are those you don't see. They search your hard drive for credit card numbers, SSNs, and other such data. They can recognize when you're logging into your bank account online. They send what they find to their masters who use it for identity theft. People have lost tens of thousands of dollars because a virus on their computer gave someone in Nigeria total access to their accounts.

> Is it really to let people know about a tv show they know and love?

It's not about love, it's about money. They get paid every time someone clicks on one of their links. It probably took less than an hour for the one who was here to write their adverts and put them up on a hundred forums. If only two people on each forum click one of the links, they've made $200, or more. That's not a bad hourly wage.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings