Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Computer woes

wouldbestar

{font:}I’m back! But I have a problem I need some advice.{font}

{font:}My mother’s place has a computer room but halfway through my visit I was rudely informed I could not use them since I was “only a visitor”. {font}

{font:}I will be going there more often as she is 89 and in declining health and want to take something of my own along next time. I looked at the *Comp USA* and *Office Depot* flyers in this morning’s paper and saw a lot of laptops and tablets shown. What is a tablet? Can I get directions, look up a chain for the nearest store, check in with you all and such or should I go with a laptop? I know they have batteries but can you plug them into a phone jack and electric socket and work like that? The thing is I was going to get one last September but was persuaded by clerk at the store to go with a PC.{font}

{font:}Thanks to any of you who give me some feedback. This will help me when I hit the sale tomorrow. {font}

{font:} {font}

{font:} {font}

You might want to consider a laptop over a tablet because of the keyboard. You can post from a tablet, but they're mainly geared for viewing content.

A laptop is more versatile, less prone to damage, and there's virtually no learning curve if you're already comfortable with a desktop.

Caveat: I don't presently own either one. I used a laptop for nearly a year, but it wasn't nearly as useful as my PCs. I had an iPad for three days and got so disgusted with the number of things I couldn't do on it I returned it.

There's a keypad made for tablets in the flyer which is why I thought about it. The one I am considering is a BlackBerry. I was thinking I can carry it with me when I'm out and about and use it inside with the keypad like a laptop or PC if that's possible. If not, I'll go with the laptop. I appreciate your input as well as anybody else's who kicks in.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> I’m back! But I have a problem I need some advice.

>

> My mother’s place has a computer room but halfway through my visit I was rudely informed I could not use them since I was “only a visitor”.

>

>

>

>

>

> I will be going there more often as she is 89 and in declining health and want to take something of my own along next time.

>

Sorry to hear that, but the place must have "rules."

A laptop is best bet for Internet access, but would you be able to even access the Internet when visiting?? Depends on the location (wireless dead zone?) and also rules in the "home" regarding electronic devices (some places ban them as the signal can interfere with medical equipment).

I think you want to access the Internet in her room while she's napping???

Anyway, ask first about bringing your own wireless device into "home" and see what they say.

For all I know, you might be able to plug into an Internet cable in her room? But better ask first before you go out and buy something...

Edited by: RMeingast on Sep 2, 2012 3:12 PM

You might want to consider a netbook. They're basically a laptop downsized for Internet use. Even when they're not on sale, they're generally cheaper.

RMeingast made excellent points. You should ask about electronics and access in general. Some places restrict who can use their WiFi or hardwired connections.

People often forget to check on the prices of accessories. There are lots of cases designed to carry an IPad, so there's competition to drive prices down. That's not true for many tablets, so you're left with an overpriced one made for that tablet or a generic which doesn't quite fit anything well. The same is true for all the other little gizmos you might find handy (screen protectors, etc.).

Wouldbe,

I would second Capuchin's recommendation of a netbook. MrCutter has one- a Toshiba- it's lightweight, easy to use, internet use can be hard wired or wifi (where connections are available - we use it while traveling) and allows you to use Word or Excel and save documents to the hard drive. He likes it a lot!

I also third the recommendation to find out what the place where your mother lives allows.

He found a carrying case for it on Amazon.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}Wouldbe,

>

> I would second Capuchin's recommendation of a netbook. MrCutter has one- a Toshiba- it's lightweight, easy to use, internet use can be hard wired or wifi (where connections are available - we use it while traveling) and allows you to use Word or Excel and save documents to the hard drive. He likes it a lot!

>

> I also third the recommendation to find out what the place where your mother lives allows.

>

> He found a carrying case for it on Amazon.

Yep, netbook sounds good. Whatever you can afford and feel comfortable using...

(I'm no expert on laptops of smaller devices, I'll leave that to others)

Just ask about what you can do where your mom lives first...

I just know from experience that you may be restricted to using a wireless device in certain areas.

Or depending on the location, you may not be able to get a signal at all, like with a cell phone...

Just ask first... Hope this stuff helps... Good luck...

{font:Times New Roman}Thanks to all of you. I’ve also started discovering what Wi-Fi is and that I need it or a router to use anything outside my place. I will wait until I talk to Mom or the Residence Director but remember a neighbor across the hall from her a few years ago having a PC. I have plenty of time as good old CompUSA always has a good deal on line when I need it and the store clerks actually talk to you about their products. I’ve got almost six weeks to figure this out before the next trip. At any rate I’ve gotten an education on current electronics today. I might have to thank that “computer cop” for starting me down this road.

Just got a call from Mom who is still navagating around the Vtech cordless phone I got her. She says she will check with the Director. {font}

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings