Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

has anyone read the novel "Jaws"?

AddisonDeWitless

HUGE fan of all the movies here, well- less so 2, but I have a fondness in my own way for even 3D and The Revenge (tip: for some reason there is an audio option available on all the Jaws the Revenge DVDs where you can watch the whole film dubbed En Francais. Try it: I swear it becomes this genius, post-modern, outrageous comedia del arte of sorts...with a bad shark puppet)

Anyhoo, bored, needed to read, picked up a copy of *the Peter Benchley novel* - I've seen the 1975 film 100 times easy - so figured, why not? I knew of nearly all the astounding differences between the plots of novel and book already, so was not shocked by that.

What I was shocked about it how RACIST and OFFENSIVE the novel is in so many instances. And in others, it is just *tacky* enough to make Jaqueline Susann say, "oh no honey, lose that, it's too trashy."

I should've highlighted as I read, but here are some choice nuggets I culled from memory:

p10: "last year, a bunch of f****ts staged a dance out by the club- a nude dance."

p148: Ellen Brody: "I've heard some women have fantasies about being raped by black men, I never do."

p24 "if every house was not rented, there wouldn't be enough work for Amity's blacks, most of whom were gardeners, butlers, bartenders and maids...and two or three bad summers in a row...could create a cycle that could wreck the town."

p150 "I'd send you in to the ladies room so you could take off your panties...so I could explore you on the way home."

also p 150 "she wanted to squirm back and forth, to move her legs up and down, but she was afraid of leaving a stain on the seat."- *OMG*.

P169 "I'm supposed to hire two delivery boys for the summer...I can only hire one, one's black, one's white....(I'm hiring) the black one, I figure he needs the money more. I just thank God the white one isn't Jewish."

p44 ( *my favorite* ) "teen-agers lay serried in tight, symmetrical rows. The boys enjoying the sensation of grinding their pelvises in the sand, thinking of pudenda and stretching their necks to catch a brief glimpse of some, exposed, wittingly or not, by girls who lay on their backs with their legs spread."

I can't write anymore for now, this took too long. But *f-real,* am I overreacting here or does anyone else see something rather appalling here?

I was SO rooting for the shark by the end.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Sep 1, 2012 4:00 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Sep 1, 2012 4:01 PM the F-bomb slipped thru.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Sep 1, 2012 4:03 PM

You just don't ever need to use the word "pudenda" ever, (unless you're quoting that last quote there.)

I read it back when the movie was released in 1975, but I don't remember any of that. All I remember is that the character Dreyfus played had an affair with the sheriff's wife & that he gets killed, whereas he doesn't in the film. But like I said, it's been a minute or two since then. I may be wrong--it wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by: helenbaby on Sep 1, 2012 4:34 PM

Edited by: helenbaby on Sep 1, 2012 4:35 PM

Edited by: helenbaby on Sep 1, 2012 4:36 PM

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

>

> What I was shocked about it how RACIST and OFFENSIVE the novel is in so many instances.

>

>

>

>

I haven't read JAWS since the book was first published in 1973 so I can't honestly remember what you say, but, in general, stuff like that was still pretty common in books back then. It's often hard for people who didn't live through those days to believe that what we find so objectionable today was either considered acceptable or at least tolerated. If you're shocked and offended, good for you.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings