Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VP19

(Really) early suggestions for SUTS 2013?

Deleted. Thought we were talking about SOTMs.......

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 17, 2012 11:30 AM

Devote the whole year -- all SOTM slots -- to character people. The "big stars" will be included by default.

Since I'm trying to get recognition for character actors my choices would be:

Beulah Bondi

Anges Moorehead

Monty Wooley

Thomas Mitchell

Charlie Ruggles

Eve Arden

Edmund Gwenn

Lucille Watson

Ellen Corby

Thelma Ritter

Gene Lockhart

SZ Sakall

Frank Morgan

There is a "bakers dozen" for SUTS or SOTM.

Namely Gladys George, Maria Ouspenskaya, C. Aubrey Smith , Marjorie Rambeau and William Demarest.

..and for some supporting players who may not have enough films to fill out a whole 24 hours (Ernest Thesiger? Phyllis Povah? Patricia Collinge? Laird Cregar? Mary Boland?) may I suggest a Star of the Month dedicated to Scene Stealers ?

Does TCM have access to Universal pics? If so, they cannot continue to ignore Abbott & Costello. They've done Groucho and they've done Laurel & Hardy, it's time for Bud and Lou. For my money, they're the best comedy team of all time.

Lou: I'm not gonna marry a pretty girl, I'm gonna marry a homely girl.

Bud: Why's that, Lou?

Lou: Well, a pretty girl's liable to run away.

Bud: Well, a homely girl is just as apt to run away.

Lou: Yeah, but who cares?

Ernest Thesiger is one of the great characters, from The Old Dark House to Bride of Frankenstein, to Last Holiday to The Man in the White Suit, and so forth. And there's plenty of Mary Boland to go around, major roles in Pride and Prejudice, etc., to films I never heard of. All the character people mentioned are worthy, rather than yet another tribute to some "star." And the stars would come in on the coattails of the characters.

> If so, they cannot continue to ignore Abbott & Costello.

If calvininmne's sleuthing is correct, you can spend New Year's Eve with Abbott and Costello and Robert O. There is an A&C film festival on TCM that night.

> {quote:title=unclecharlie wrote:}{quote}

> Lou: I'm not gonna marry a pretty girl, I'm gonna marry a homely girl.

> Bud: Why's that, Lou?

> Lou: Well, a pretty girl's liable to run away.

> Bud: Well, a homely girl is just as apt to run away.

> Lou: Yeah, but who cares?

Flip Wilson had a routine wherein he recommended marrying an ugly girl because after you have had a few beers she will start looking pretty good.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}Namely Gladys George, Maria Ouspenskaya, C. Aubrey Smith , Marjorie Rambeau and William Demarest.

>

> ..and for some supporting players who may not have enough films to fill out a whole 24 hours (Ernest Thesiger? Phyllis Povah? Patricia Collinge? Laird Cregar? Mary Boland?) may I suggest a Star of the Month dedicated to Scene Stealers ?

>

Yes I did Addison! Thank you for adding such excellent choices. Here are a few more:

Charles Coburn

Gladys Cooper

May Robson

Sara Haden

James Gleason

Reginald Gardner

Barry Fitzgerald

*..and for some supporting players who may not have enough films to fill out a whole 24 hours (Ernest Thesiger? Phyllis Povah? Patricia Collinge? Laird Cregar? Mary Boland?)*

Only Povah and Collinge would not have enough credits. Not counting their silents, both Thesiger and Boland had over 40 film credits each....no problem there for SUTS OR SOTM. Cregar had 16, barely enough for a whole month, but easily can be a SUTS honoree.

I just realized this was SUTS and not SOTM, which is what I suggested. But in any case I think we all want more attention paid to great character actors!

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}I just realized this was SUTS and not SOTM, which is what I suggested. But in any case I think we all want more attention paid to great character actors!

My apologies Lonesome. I got carried away. lol How about a SUTS devoted to or including character actors? One day for each name that has been mentioned.

Edited by: MovieGal53 on Sep 19, 2012 3:13 PM

Edited by: MovieGal53 on Sep 19, 2012 3:16 PM