Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Automobiles

TCMfan23

My favorite movie car is the DeLorian in "Back to the future". Ever since I was like 6 years old , I wanted to ride in that car.

anyway , let's talk classic cars.

I like Chevy's.

'47 chevy pickup

'68 Impala

'55-'57 Bel Air (the car from "return to macon county")

Anyone think it's odd I dislike Camaros and Chevelles ? not too crazy about Corvettes either.

My favorite muscle car : Ford Mustang (1965-68 fastback). I've always wanted a mustang since my freshman high school year. The dream of driving a mustang is what helped me pass my DMV exams.

The only modern car I like is the '99 - '04 Mustang GT.

I'm no\

In the very stylised high fashion world so often depicted in classic 1930's films, cars play an iconic role. They signaled to the audience, through their well recognised trademark shaped radiator grills and hood ornaments, just where the owner and driver stood in the social pecking order!

Here is a gallery of images that can serve as a handy guide to the luxury car statements so often made in these films:

hoodduesenberg.jpg

Duesenberg hood ornament. When used in films, this marquee was meant to convey great wealth, as a "Dusie" cost several times the price of a Cadillac.

hoodcadillac.jpg

Cadillac hood ornament 1931

hoodlincoln.jpg

Lincoln used the famous greyhound trademark in the 20's and 30's.

hoodlincoln2.jpg

hoodpackard.jpg

Packards were often used in 1930's films.

hoodpackard1929.jpg

Packard 1929

hoodpackard2.jpg

Besides a distinctive hood ornament, Packards featured a distinctive trademark radiator grill shape.

hooddamsels.jpg

“Damsels of the Dance and Human hood ornament – 1927 -Packard 343 Series Eight” You can’t make this stuff up!

hoodpiercearrow.jpg

Another high end maker of the time was Pierce Arrow

hoodmercedes.jpg

Foreign cars were seldom depicted in US films of the 30's; few Americans owned one due to a tariff that could be as high as a 100% of the vehicle value. Foreign makes like Mercedes and Rolls Royces, when used in a scene connoted something exotic and very very expensive. Mercedes cars from this period were easily recognised by their trademark angled radiator grills as well as by their timeless hood ornament symbol.

hoodrolls.jpg

Everyone should recognize this one!

hoodrolls1928.jpg

Rolls, from 1928

hoodbuick.jpg

Buicks were for the slightly better off hoi polloi!

cadillac1933.jpg

A town car limousine with an open air compartment for the chauffeur was standard visual code for super wealth in 30's films. A 1933 Cadillac V-16

In those days scenes and everything in them were very carefully designed, composed and shot. If a certain make of car was used in a shoot, it was not: "go out and get me any car!"; it was an intentional choice meant to evoke certain dramatic and character associations in the viewing audience.

speakthelma.gif

• 3 months later...
Tom Mix’s restored Super-charged 1937 Cord 812 Roadster built by the Auburn Automobile Company. This is the car in which Mix was killed on October 12, 1940 while traveling about 80mph on Arizona 79 when he crashed in a construction zone. Now owned and restored by Bob White of Scottsdale, AZ.

4udtow.jpg

I'm a Mopar girl myself. My last car was a '73 Dodge Dart. It was copper colored with a white vinyl roof. I had some body work done on it and slapped on some white walls. I drove it everyday. I ended up selling it when I almost crashed it during a snow storm and am now driving a Jeep. But I pretty much like the old muscle cars of the sixties.

Super nice hood ornaments, there.

I was always fond of the car driven by the Kirby's in *Topper* .

Don't like Corvettes, TCMfan? Well, all I can say is that I started disliking them from 1968 on. I'll take a '63 "split window" any day!

the '55 Mercedes "Gull Wing"

ANY 1960's Jaguar XK-E

An honest to goodness Tucker

The '68 Dodge Charger

Or MY first "real" car, the '65 Dodge Coronet 500! (damned thing had an azz-kicking 383 four barrel!)

Early '60's Morgans

A 1972 Olds 442

There's too much DROOL on my keyboard. I'll have to stop!

Sepiatone

Of "movie cars", my favorites are the:

James Bond's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 in Goldfinger

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-5H2jnpwrw-T4nLNXo88

Steve McQueen's 1968 Ford Mustang GT390 in Bullitt

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROPsc7t0gO-2cuACGaub3

And, if we can include cars which were never in the movies but where owned by stars of the past, then my favorite in this regard would be the 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, such as the one made famous(or maybe infamous) as James Dean's "death car".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqrIlHrmA_CEbJLC9gUNU

(...the latter of which I've loved the looks of for so long that about 5 years ago I purchased a replica version of this mid-engined Porsche race car...couldn't afford the present asking prices of between $1-3M for any of the remaining 45 of 95 ever made of the real ones, ya see!) ;)

There is a database of automobiles which have been in movies and in television programs. It is:

http://www.imcdb.org/search.php

I have found photographs there of many automobiles which I could not identify.

There is a website which shows automobiles which are rare and classic which are for sale at a wide variety of sources. It is called: "Bring a Trailer". I do not understand many of the terms which they use but they have a section called: "Under $20,000" which has several which I would like to own.

I watched that crash reconstruction documentary about James Dean. There was a fatal tradeoff with the Porche, very light skin shell that gave it the fast speed but no match when it collides with a car that is built like a tank.

Here is another photo of Dean with his 130, the car it collided with resembles that on on the right. Eerie, the photo looks like it was taken just yesterday.

james-dean-car+%284%29.jpg

Ham, I don't know if you've ever watched the very VERY weird 1996 David Cronenberg film Crash (not to be confused with the 2004 Oscar winning Paul Haggis film), but in this film in which Cronenberg attempts to explore some strange sub-subculture of people who "get off" on seeing and actually being in automobile crashes, there's this following screen in which a dramatized re-creation of Dean's fatal accident is shown, and which on the whole has the facts down pretty well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3yglMI40ns

I believe this would be the perfect automobile for arriving at a picnic in the country:

1950Jaguar.jpg

It is a 1950 Jaguar Drophead. The absolute perfection is maintained in that it has suicide doors!

It is for sale for only $120,000 but I believe the added cost of importing it would make it seem extravagant.

2mo9sah.jpg

The automobile was featured as the "Flying Wombat" in the David O. Selznick film

The Young in Heart (1938), starring Janet Gaynor, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Paulette

Goddard, and Billie Burke. The Corsair was featured in a segment of the Popular

Science film series in 1938.

2yke3b4.jpg

14o4pcy.jpg

2i974w9.jpg

3539jy9.jpg

2csa2k4.jpg

Rust Heinz (company name) planned to put the Phantom Corsair, which cost approximately
$24,000 to produce in 1938 (equivalent to about $370,000 in 2010), into limited production
at an estimated selling price of $12,500. However, Heinz's death in a car accident in July 1939
ended those plans, leaving the prototype Corsair as the only one ever built.

The Phantom Corsair now resides in the National Automobile Museum (also known as

The Harrah Collection) in Reno, Nevada.

Cool data: When you open the door, a section of the roof gull-wing's upward a little
to facilitate entry.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings