Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dmallon

Spencer Tracy- The Yearling

It was interesting that at the end of the MGM short about film (which actually was a promo for their stars), they showed a list of projects for 1941, then checked each one off. All were movies that were made except for the last one which had "The Yearling", starring Spencer Tracy. I wonder what happened. It's hard to picture anyone but Peck in the role.

Thank you MovieProfessor. What I have always found most enjoyable about these boards is learning movie history and behind the scenes stories that I was not familiar with. It has always been a pleasure to read your posts and those of others who have first hand experience with the industry.

I second what Dmallon wrote MovieProfessor. I always, I mean always, enjoy reading your posts.

Your posts are so interesting, well written and I learn so much, it is just great.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, insight and "inside" Hollywood stories with us. You are much appreciated around here.

Lori

For anyone interested in a very sweet biopic of Ms. Rawlings, I highly recommend "Cross Creek" (1983). It also features the wonderful Rip Torn, Alfre Woodard, and Peter Coyote. Malcom McDowell has a cameo.

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}For anyone interested in a very sweet biopic of Ms. Rawlings, I highly recommend "Cross Creek" (1983). It also features the wonderful Rip Torn, Alfre Woodard, and Peter Coyote. Malcom McDowell has a cameo.

Don't forget the lovely Mary Steenburgen in the title role.

I always enjoy reading and hearing about these things. Thank you, Prof. It's fun to try and imagine just how some movie project would have turned out if the cast members originally wanted actually did them instead of who they eventually got for the part.

The legends go that Humphrey Bogart wound up getting movie roles originally turned down by others like Raft and Reagan that wound up being big hits for Bogey. One of them was supposedly *Casablanca* which legend claims was first offered to both Reagan and Rhonda Fleming. I've heard that for years, but have also heard it was all "urban legend". Still, trying to picture Reagan as Rick, to me, is like trying to picture Fred Rogers as Vito Corleone. But the thought IS good for a laugh on a rainy day.

As for *The Yearling* , we've become so accustomed to Peck in the role that it IS hard to imagine Tracy, by no means a slouch in front of the camera, doing it the same justice.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=MovieProfessor wrote:

> }{quote}

> It’s a well known story around old Hollywood of the first attempt to film “The Yearling.” When MGM decided to buy the rights to film Marjorie Kinman Rawling’s 1938 Pulitzer prizewinning novel...

The author is Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, not "Kinman Rawling."

MovieProfessor, thanks so much for the backstory on THE YEARLING. Had it been Spencer Tracy and Anne Revere, as talented as they both are, THE YEARLING would have been all about Spencer Tracy. Victor Fleming really let Tracy run amok on A GUY NAMED JOE, choosing camera angles that favored Tracy at the expense of Irene Dunne, and reducing the importance of any plotlines which did not involve Tracy directly. Tracy mugs shamelessly in this film, which is OK for those who really love him.

THE YEARLING turned out so well that we can only be pleased about the delay.

Although it is getting redundant, I want to thank you, too, MovieProfessor, for the short history of the film, one of the greats of American cinema. It is shamefully overlooked and underrated, perhaps because it's seen as a children's movie. The three principles, Claude Jarman Jr., Jane Wyman, and Gregory Peck all delivered among the best, if not the best performance of their careers. In fact, I like Mr. Peck's performance better here than in To Kill a Mockingbird. I also think Clarence Brown is one of the great directors, unsurpassed by any, of which this picture is his masterwork. It's beyond me why he isn't better recognized.

I thought it was Anne Harding who was in the Tracy version of The Yearling? Did she drop out?