Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I wish they'd stop showing that Sharon Tate promo.

slaytonf

It creeps me out. I know she was a victim, and it happened a long time ago, but nothing will ever reduce the disturbing feeling I get with any reference to events involving her. It doesn't even do any good to try and desensitize myself, I don't even like writing the names of the perpetrators, may they rot in jail (those who are still inside) the rest of their lives.

If this is the one I've seen she comes accross as a nice, hard-working girl who appreciated her chance at stardom. From what I hear, she really was and was well liked in Hollywood. That she pleaded for the life of her baby rather than her own-yes, I know he haden't been born yet so one could be considered the other-tells me what I need to know about her. For this reason I'm glad the short is shown so we see the person as well as the actress.

I appreciate your point of view, wouldbestar, but the tone of it is so terribly at odds with her history, it is immensely disconcerting. I forced myself to watch it once, purely from cinematic interest. Of course, the obvious recourse is to avoid watching it, but its repeated showing is still an unfortunate reminder. I wish there were another way of communicating the positive aspects of her personality you discuss.

*Sharon Tate-The Beverly Hillbillies-Clampetts Are Overdrawn*

*Sharon Tate:The Clampetts Get Culture(Janet Trego)*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djr49YlMPF0

*Sharon Tate "The Beverly Hillbillies:The Garden Party"*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THphATy5ji4

*Complete episode:*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZipcDJRP9Z8

*Sharon Tate "Beverly Hillbillies-Elly Needs A Maw" *

*The Beverly HIllbillies - The Giant Jack Rabbit w/ Sharon Tate*

*Complete episode*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJPtQ0UILc

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}I appreciate your point of view, wouldbestar, but the tone of it is so terribly at odds with her history, it is immensely disconcerting. I forced myself to watch it once, purely from cinematic interest. Of course, the obvious recourse is to avoid watching it, but its repeated showing is still an unfortunate reminder. I wish there were another way of communicating the positive aspects of her personality you discuss.

I didn't see the promo, but if I'm not mistaken it was made about her making the film

"Eye of the Devil": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Devil

I have no idea why TCM programs stuff but maybe they're planning on showing "Eye of the Devil"?

I think it's better to try and not concentrate on the morbid aspects of her unfortunate demise.

Try and concentrate on the positive aspects of her life.

I don't know, but I can't imagine she would want to be remembered as the victim of a gang of murderers, but as an actress...

For example, do you remember JFK because he was assassinated by the person who shall remain nameless, or do you remember JFK's life and what he did as president??

Is that all anybody thinks of when they think of JFK? That he was shot in Dallas??

I hope not and I don't think so...

Also, Sunday night on TCM was aired "Strangers on a Train."

Do you know that was the last film Robert Walker ever made? That he died less than two months after it premiered?? That he died from a toxic cocktail of booze and drugs. Walker died on August 28, 1951, at 32 years of age. Just a little more than 61 years ago...

So it can be sad to see "Strangers on a Train" when you know what happened to Mr. Walker, but he was a good actor and was in some other fine movies - TCM has aired them - and that's what you concentrate on, IMHO....

P.S. Hamster, why would you post a photo of you-know-who?? Nobody needs to see that...

I had a fine dinner tonight but barfed it all up after seeing that picture...

Give us all a break, please...

Edited by: RMeingast on Sep 2, 2012 10:57 PM

I feel this thread is in poor taste. It is like saying that all Carole Lombard movies should no longer be aired because it is uncomfortable to think about her dying in a plane crash.

These films and short promos are part of Hollywood history. They should continue to be aired.

Apparently it's SOP for federal inmates who have been sentenced to life

terms to be paroled after thirty years. Sara Jane Moore, the second person

who tried to kill Ford, was paroled a few years before Fromme. So far, neither

one seems to have gotten into any trouble.

> {quote:title=Bildwasser wrote:}{quote}

>

> Apparently it's SOP for federal inmates who have been sentenced to life

> terms to be paroled after thirty years. Sara Jane Moore, the second person

> who tried to kill Ford, was paroled a few years before Fromme. So far, neither

> one seems to have gotten into any trouble.

>

Sirhan Sirhan has not seen the light of any day and he has exceeded the thirty year threshold.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I feel this thread is in poor taste. It is like saying that all Carole Lombard movies should no longer be aired because it is uncomfortable to think about her dying in a plane crash.

>

> These films and short promos are part of Hollywood history. They should continue to be aired.

Absolutely. I agree.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I feel this thread is in poor taste. It is like saying that all Carole Lombard movies should no longer be aired because it is uncomfortable to think about her dying in a plane crash.

>

> These films and short promos are part of Hollywood history. They should continue to be aired.

I agree TopBilled... (See my post below) But apparently it makes no difference what we think whatsoever... As the thread has now devolved further... Oh well...

Whatever... :|

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}Sirhan Sirhan was brainwashed like in the movie Manchurian Candidate. He claims to have no memory of shooting RFK. He was hypnotized by a group of conspirators.

>

> Not saying I believe it. That's conspiracy theory going around.

What does that have anything to do with Sharon Tate or the subject of this thread?

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I feel this thread is in poor taste.These films and short promos are part of Hollywood history. They should continue to be aired.

I don't think it's in poor taste (not that I have any issues with poor taste.)

The OP didn't point this out, but the Sharon Tate: Star of Tomorrow featurette runs *a lot* , even when they're not showing a Tate movie, a Deborah Kerr movie, a Niven movie, a David Hemmings movie or Eye of the Devil (sic?) which they do show from time to time on TCM, but rarely after this promo, which runs *all the time* (same issue with the Making of Dr. Zhivago featurette that shows up a lot, even on those rare occasions TCM isn't showing Dr. Zhivago )

I would dare say the Tate featurette has played almost 12 times this year, often as filler between late night airings. I don't know if it's that complicated to score some Traveltalks docs or (shudder) Pete Smith Presents, but at this juncture, I roll my eyes EVERY time I see the Tate featurette crammed between films that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH and I too think it's time to let it sit in the vault.

> {quote:title=UniversalHorror wrote:}{quote}Addy, isn't it a featurette called "All Eyes On Sharon Tate"?... It's in black & white...or am I thinking of a different short?

No, no, you got it right. As many times as I've seen it on the schedule, you'd think I'd get the damn title right.

You actually own The Fearless Vampire Killers on laserdisc? You must be some kind of masochist.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Sep 3, 2012 10:49 AM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Sep 3, 2012 10:50 AM

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote} No, no, you got it right. As many times as I've seen it on the schedule, you'd think I'd get the damn title right.

>

> You actually own The Fearless Vampire Killers on laserdisc? You must be some kind of masochist.

>

Kinda... ]:)

Even though I have the DVD, I kept the laserdisc because it has a couple of things the DVD doesn't, like that short about Sharon.

ndvd000b.jpg

TCM shows a lot of the same time fillers quite often as well. Why make such a big deal about Tate's? Well, of course hers is a tragic story. Nobody doubts that. But as pointed out, many other "stars" have died tragically, too. Carole Lombard in a plane crash. James Dean in a car crash. Leslie Howard a war casualty. Sal Mineo was murdered( and his killer never CAUGHT, unlike Tate's). But we never shy away from their films or the promotion of such. It's all well documented history, and carved in stone, if you will. Refusing to hear about it anymore WON'T make it go away, and it shouldn't. If we all forget how Sharon Tate was murdered, we might start to forget Sharon Tate altogether. I feel THAT would be unfair to HER.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I feel this thread is in poor taste.These films and short promos are part of Hollywood history. They should continue to be aired.

> I don't think it's in poor taste (not that I have any issues with poor taste.)

>

> The OP didn't point this out, but the Sharon Tate: Star of Tomorrow featurette runs *a lot* , even when they're not showing a Tate movie, a Deborah Kerr movie, a Niven movie, a David Hemmings movie or Eye of the Devil (sic?) which they do show from time to time on TCM, but rarely after this promo, which runs *all the time* (same issue with the Making of Dr. Zhivago featurette that shows up a lot, even on those rare occasions TCM isn't showing Dr. Zhivago )

>

>

> I would dare say the Tate featurette has played almost 12 times this year, often as filler between late night airings. I don't know if it's that complicated to score some Traveltalks docs or (shudder) Pete Smith Presents, but at this juncture, I roll my eyes EVERY time I see the Tate featurette crammed between films that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH and I too think it's time to let it sit in the vault.

>

I think the "poor taste" comment was in regards to highlighting the murderers of Tate rather than concentrating on her film career.

Many actors and actresses have come to bad ends in various ways. But I like to concentrate on their careers. I used the example of Robert Walker and not being depressed when watching "Strangers on a Train" because it was his final film and he tragically died at 32 years of age less than 2 months after that movie premiered.

Marilyn Monroe and Carol Lombard are other examples...

But whatever... Just our opinions...

Have no idea why TCM keeps running the promo (and I haven't seen it, yet)...

Addy...The Fearless Vampire Killers is my favorite Polanski movie. I think it's brilliant and incredibly well-done. It was the inspiration for a musical adaption which Polanski himself directed, and has become a hit in Europe (running for several years), but the musical is also the biggest musical hit in the history of Germany. If I were to own just one of his films on DVD, it would be the Vampire Killers (I have a few of his films including Rosemary's Baby). I never tire of watching it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings