Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Young Man With A Horn-Does It Have a Record?

TomJH

Young Man With A Horn was a major motion picture release of 1950. Today, 62 years later, all three of its stars, Kirk Douglas, Lauren Bacall and Doris Day, are still with us, for which we can be grateful.

Is that a record? Is there an older film or one of the same year, in which its three leading players are still alive? Perhaps there's a B production that doesn't come to mind but I certainly can't think of another major A production in which that is the case.

I don't know of a movie that currently beats that record, but up until quite recently, there were at least two that exceeded it. Until Ann Rutherford died recently, three of the leading actors from ANDY HARDY's DOUBLE LIFE (1942) we're still with us: Ms. Rutherford, Mickey Rooney, and Esther Williams. And until Liz Taylor's recent death, she, Mr. Rooney, and Angela Lansbury from NATIONAL VELVET (1945) were all still with us.

But I guess those films no longer qualify, obviously. And I guess there might be an issue with whether all of these actors are actually "leading" players in those movies: Ms. Rutherford and Ms. Lansbury might be characterized as supporting actors in those particular roles.

If you look at in in the perspective of the major players living 62 or more years AFTER the movie's release, then those movies certainly do qualify. If you're looking at it as the major players STILL ALIVE 62 or more years later, then they don't.

It depends on how you wish to present the record.

In the former, character actor CHARLES LANE holds the undisputed record.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Young Man With A Horn-Does It Have a Record?

> Dang. By the title of your thread, I thought you were looking for a phonograph record, a musical soundtrack recording of the movie.

>

> I must be getting old. :)

That's almost exactly what I thought at first. I was all ready to say that the CD of the Doris Day/Harry James soundtrack album is out of print but available used through Amazon. (The album is quite good, if anyone is interested.)

While not the leads, the THREE DARING DAUGHTERS of 1948 are still able to fog up a mirror: Jane Powell, Elinor Donahue and Ann E. Todd.

Both romantic leads of that year's LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN are still with us: Joan Fontaine and Louis Jourdan.

If old enough to kiss is the determining factor, Joan and Louis are beaten by six years: Shirley Temple and Dickie Moore in MISS ANNIE ROONEY (1942).

Speaking of Rooneys, don't overlook Mickey and Ann Blyth in 1947's KILLER McCOY.

I thought we were going to be talking about Bix Beiderbecke, who the story is VERY, VERY loosely based on...Oh well...

In the early 2000's the film with the longest lived leads I ever came across was *Little Women, 1933.*

Frances Dee (1909 ? 2004)

Jean Parker (I) (1915 ? 2005)

Katharine Hepburn (1907 ? 2003)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings