Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kelsey Grammer "Blindsided" by Bacall

hlywdkjk

TCM has recruited Kelsey Grammer to do a new "Star Of The Month" piece on Lauren Bacall. And it is a doozy!

Grammer tells of checking out *Key Largo* for the first time on TV because it starred Bogart and Robinson. He was excited to see two of his favorites in a film he was unfamiliar with. But instead of being in awe of the old pros, he ended up being entranced with Lauren Bacall throughout the entire movie. He couldn't take his eyes off of her.

And for the next five minutes this wonderful "Star Of The Month" piece also seduces us with images and shots of Bacall that are truly beautiful - not simply because she is the subject but because the promo is filled with artistic shots that seem to have come from a photographer's portfolio. The choices are definitely not random or the most common clips from her filmography.

The producer of the piece really did a wonderful job choosing the clips for this promo. There's a close-up in an elevator and a long shot in an empty apartment that, if they were still photographs, they could hang on an art gallery wall. And there are many more stunning shots, all of them complementing Grammer's heartfelt (and his heart-a-flutter) narration very well. Well, I think they do. I'm not really sure as I became as focused on Bacall as Kelsey Grammer and the narration sort of stopped registering in my head.

This is the best new narrated "Star Of The Month" piece I've seen in a long time. It is a great addition to the channel's collection of personal Star appraisals.

"Well done" to the On-Air department. (And that goes for this month's Mack Sennett piece too!)

Kyle In Hollywood

Chief,

I totally agree! I saw the promo yesterday after the Jack Cardiff documentary and was mesmerized by the shots chosen. I think the producer and editor may have been as captivated by Bacall as Kelsey Grammar is.

Even MrCutter was charmed by the piece.

Whatever the story, it's a terrific promo and a great addition to SOTM promos.

Kudos to all involved!

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:

> }{quote}

> TCM has recruited Kelsey Grammer to do a new "Star Of The Month" piece on Lauren Bacall. And it is a doozy!

How can you tell?

The music was dialed in so high that it rendered Grammer's narration virtually unintelligible.

After about thirty seconds I had to give up trying to undertstand what he was saying. The folks at TCM ought to be ashamed of themselves for allowing an interstitial subject film go to air with such bad audio mixing.

I think this is a very interesting thread. We have several people who are lauding a new promo, then there is someone else who comes along and finds fault with it...clearly proving that no one person sees things the same way as another. I love these kinds of discussions.

I haven't seen it yet and am looking forward to catching it on TCM later!

I agree with Kelsey Grammar. Actually the first time I ever saw Lauren Bacall was in "To have and Have Not" (when they gave it as an "essential" this summer) and I was just stunned, stupefied by her beauty and the way she just demands all of your attention. "The Look" she gives grabs hold of you until the credits run, so I for one am glad that she is September's Star of the Month. (And I will also say way to go Bogie!!)

OK. I will say it right here,and let's see what type of reaction I get, if I get any reaction at all.

While I admire Kelsey Grammar very much, and I can totally understand where he is coming from regarding Miss Bacall, I am getting a little tired of hearing all this stars going on about their " favorite" and how "great" everyone is.

I am hearing the same thing over and over again regarding that special actor or actress. I mean they all seem to be saying the same thing like, "Just look at her face, his face during this scene. You can see the fear, anger, determination on their face, in their eyes" Now come on, every good actor should and does convey these and other emotions through their facial expressions and use of their eyes.

Another thing I always seem to hear is, "There is such honestly in their performance." Again, all the greats, if they were great had to have "honesty" or that "real person" aspect to their character. That is (IMHO) a very important talent a actor or actress must have. They must have that believability in their performance or it just doesn't work.

Lastly, the comment about the actor or actress's presence, that almost commands the audience to watch them is many times mentioned. Again,this is an very important trait all the greats have. It is what some refer to as "star magic."

So there I wrote it. I am not sure really why these "glowing" promos of the acting icons are starting to "bug" me but they are. I know too, I am most probably in a very small minority in regards to my stated feelings. That really is what I am talking about, my feeling regarding these modern day actors going on and on about their favorites, telling us things we already know about that actor or actress.

Again, as I stated at the beginning I respect Mr.Grammer, and understand his "feelings" about Miss. Bacall. She was a beauty, she commanded the attention of the camera and the audience, she won over Bogie, and she was a talented actress and is a icon now. However, really I already knew all that.

Lori

Ok. I will ask it right here, and let's see what type of reaction I get, if I get any reaction at all.

What, pray tell, should they say instead? What is it about Bacall (or any other SOM who gets such short shrift, apparently) that you haven't heard yet that needs to be said for the first time within the context of a simple tribute? These aren't dissertations or biographies, you know...

> {quote:title=araner1973 wrote:}{quote}

>

> How about they just run last year's In Memoriam this coming December? It was a perfectly good one.

If you think they should, maybe you should write the powers that be. I've already sent my comments about the Kelsey Grammer short which does have some issues with the audio.

Just saw it for the first time last night myself, and...

-------------------------------------------

Sprocket Man wrote:

The music was dialed in so high that it rendered Grammer's narration virtually unintelligible.

After about thirty seconds I had to give up trying to undertstand what he was saying. The folks at TCM ought to be ashamed of themselves for allowing an interstitial subject film go to air with such bad audio mixing.

--------------------------------------------

...I must agree with Sprocket's assessment. Yep, the background music should've been dialed down by at least half.

(...but nicely done other than that)

Hibi -

Grammer says he had never seen *Key Largo* and had never seen Lauren Bacall until he caught the film on TV at (I think) age 20. She is an arresting sight to behold for the first time - especially if surrounded by Bogart / Robinson / Barrymore & Trevor.

20101123142227_key-largo-bacall

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I dont understand how someone could be blindsided by Bacall in Key Largo. A drab, rather uninteresting role. Trevor has the good part..........

While I agree that Claire Trevor is great in her role as Johnny Rocco's discarded chantoozie,

( I just love that scene where she sings for a drink and then Johnny won't give it to her ) , I'd hardly describe Lauren Bacall's turn in this film as "drab" .

For one thing, she looks great in her simple buttoned blouse and full skirt. For another, she's supposed to be kind of a quiet person. And for a third, how can anyone who spits in Johnny Rocco's face be a drab character? Doesn't Rocco call her a "tiger" after that?

"Blindsided" is kind of a hyperbolic word...maybe "impressed" would work just as well.

araner1973, I really don't know what they should say. Like I wrote, I am not sure really why these "glowing" promos of the acting icons are starting to "bug" me but they are.

Maybe it is that I don't feel these "tribute" type of promos of the SOTM, are not needed, maybe, I honestly don't know and I wish I did know.

It is just my "feelings" my opinion.

Any ways, I wanted to answer your question so you, "got a reaction."

Lori

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings