Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMWebAdmin

Your Thoughts About Forum Flamewars

In response to TomJH post of 9/15/12:

Although I didn't mention you by name in my post, you recognized who I meant. I was hoping that by not mentioning your name it would spare any other kind of crap from anybody else. Or something...

My comments on people taking themselves too seriously were not aimed at anyone specific, just a generalization. I'll be one of the first to admit that the things I think people shouldn't do or say are things I'm also guilty of doing or saying. It's my misfortune at times to not catch myself at it when I do so. Although not always successful at it, I try to take a "let him cast the first stone" approach to these things. If at any time any other board member notices that I DO any of this stuff, please don't hesitate to point it out to me, and I will swiftly as possible either apologize, or try to clarify in an unoffensive way. I come to this, and all of the other forums in which I participate as a pleasant diversion from the mundane tediom of everyday life, NOT to rant and rave.

Sepiatone

Let's see. Michael asked for an open discussion of civility or the lack thereof and got a thread in which one poster invited another to leave, the same one stated that Michael had a "brain cramp" to have even thought about having civility here and that those wanting civility are "handwringers", then finally several posters decided to pick this thread to turn into George Brent 2.

I've been known to ramble off topic myself, but in this situation it looked a lot like these posters were showing open contempt for both civility and our webmaster.

I suspect Michael meant "thoughtful", not thoughtful.

*a reasonable effort to foster a bit less hostility is not going to work.*

Praise ye gods and monsters, let me repeat that:

*a reasonable effort to foster a bit less hostility is not going to work.*

Amen, brother, amen. That's the first intelligent post in this thread since your original comment.

Thank you, Michael, for the effort.

I can't imagine why some of you seem so confused by my last post. I asked for opinions and I got them. It's been made pretty clear that some of the people who delight in being problems for other posters feel they have some right to do so and have no intention of curbing their anti-social tendencies. So be it.

> There is no absolute freedom of expression here and there is content that the forum's code of conduct expressely forbids. TCM reserves the right to remove any content and ban any user at any time. You agree to be governed by that policy when you post here: It doesn't matter whether you like it or not. These forums exist so that TCM viewers can share their opinions, positive and negative, about the network and the movies it shows. They do not exist so that you can post negative comments about other users.

*Be respectful, civil and nice in your posts or you will be moderated slowly and severely.* If you can not handle that, I'd suggest the IMDB.com forums. Thread is closed and the discussion is over.