Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMWebAdmin

Your Thoughts About Forum Flamewars

I don't mind most of the humorous digression. It sort of brings us all back down to Earth. Praise to those who inject this stuff into threads that seem to be heading to the kind of meltdown the Admin was referring to. Getting into heated arguements over something that really isn't that important, or insulting the character or intelligence or personal taste of somebody you never even MET is kind of stupid. I've known people like that in real life(RL), and always take steps to avoid them. I don't wish to have to do that here.

There are times I'll even get sarcastic or poke a little fun at what someone posted. Not to be mean, but to just have a little fun. I'll usually follow it up with a WINKING smiley, though. JUST so they know. I've learned the hard way(OUCH!) that not everybody recognizes sarcasm when they read or hear it. Sometimes I COUNT on that. Mostly, though, I don't.

And, in MY opinion, you can't beat shredded wheat for a good source of fiber and regularity. Which is why(uh-OH!) I have to cut this post(oh, NO!) short!

Sepiat

Unfortunately, some people think that a smiley/emoticon is simply accenting what they still believe to be something rude or wrong. It doesn't always help (oh well...that's their problem).

Metamucil is also a good source of fiber... :^0

maincallout_upper.jpg

*"OK, I feel really stupid that I didn't figure that out. I thought she was on holidays and it was the short form for a state, or a place, anyway."* - misswonderly

Don't feel too badly. I often am left scratching my head over abbreviations and acronyms that many use. Not being a texter or facebook user, I am woefully underexposed to "the lingo" many people enlist when writing on the internet.

Once a poster here referred to himself as being "AA". From my experience, that description only refers to one personal trait - being a 12-stepper. In my reply I encouraged him on his sobriety (Though confused why he had brought that up) only to find out later he used the abbreviation to let everyone know he was African-American.

I felt silly. But not stupid. So you shouldn't feel stupid for not quickly deciphering RL as "real life".

Kyle In Holllywood

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}....the question I have is, why are threads like this one and others, treated like open mic night at a comedy club by some in the midst of other posters having a serious conversation whether it's about the toxic environment here or about actors, directors, TCM or movies?

>

> I like humor as much as the next person but I do want to try understand why it seems necessary to try and out "Seinfeld" Seinfeld in threads that don't necessarily warrant it.

>

>

>

>

>

> It feels like it disrupts the conversation and those that are trying to participate in the original conversation are made fun of for not having a sense of humor (when all they were trying to do was stay on topic an contribute to the conversation that was happening before the thread took such a turn). This tends to lead to disengaging from the thread, at least it does for me.

>

>

>

>

>

> Sometimes it is possible to steer the conversation back to the actual topic at hand but other times, it seems that the thread goes off on a tangent and the conversation comes to standstill as posters try to see who can be the funniest.

>

>

>

>

>

> Am I the only one who feels this way?

>

lzcutter:

Before I respond to your well-written and well-thought-out comments on this matter, I'd like to say that I wish you had responded to my thoughts about it, not to the "silly" post I wrote about cereal, but to an earlier one into which I put some time and thought, about this very issue of "derailing threads with humour".Or, as others have put it, "injecting humour into threads where that was not the original intention."

But to the matter at hand: I think we all agree that a conversation in real life ( RL , as apparently it's called), is very different from a conversation on internet message boards. And, if a group of people in real life, was earnestly discussing something, everyone was engaged, and suddenly someone else walked up and made a joke, that behaviour would be odd, a little rude, and certainly disruptive to the group's conversation. Depending on how well the people who were already having the chat knew the interruptor, as well as whether the joke was in any way relevent, the conversation might continue, perhaps with the inclusion of the newcomer, the "comedien". Or perhaps not.

But these message boards are not real life. No one is literally interrupting someone else when they "inject" a joke, pun, or any other attempt at humour. In many ways internet message boards work in styles and approaches very different from Real Life .

I do understand that if a number of people are seriously discussing something on a thread that interests them, and all of a sudden someone else posts a reference to Seinfeld, or anything else that is not immediately related to the thread topic, it can be disconcerting and maybe even annoying.

Maybe it partly depends on how funny the joke is.

But I also think that it is not at all difficult to simply pick up from where you left off. I've done both. I have definitely "interrupted" a thread with a joke ( but then of course, my jokes are always hilarious :| ); my intention is not to disrupt the conversation, but simply to have a little fun. And more often than not, it is connected in some way to the thread topic.

But I've also had the experience of being pretty engaged in a "conversation" on a thread, only to have my "serious" post followed by a goofy photo or word-play or something. And actually, whether I mind or not does depend partly on how funny it is.

Funny or not, I do not have a problem picking up and continuing with the discussion. All a person has to do is acknowledge the joke -or not, for that matter- and carry on. And one can always go

":...uh, yeah - back to 50s Japanese crime films..." or whatever the topic was.

As for "posters trying to see who can become the funniest", I don't see it as a contest, and don't believe others I kid around with do either. We're just having some laughs. I truly don't believe any of them - I can certainly speak for myself about this, anyway - want to spoil others' conversations or discontinue the thread. I like to laugh about things a lot in real life, too, and it doesn't make the person I'm speaking with come to a complete standstill. ( Unless of course, they've just told me that their house has been remortgaged, or something.)

This post is becoming really long, and I try to avoid that - well, making them take up half a page, anyway. So I'll just wrap up by saying this:( In My Opinion) : Unless the subject matter is very serious indeed ( a death or horrible catastrophe, for instance), I don't have a problem with people "injecting humour" into thread conversations. Especially if they're genuinely funny. Almost everything can be funny, it depends I suppose on the context. But to me, the context of an internet discussion about movies is not an inappropriate place for humour.

But then, I always liked it when people made me laugh at workplace meetings. Seriously, I think we're all a little too serious sometimes.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> > But these message boards are not real life. No one is literally interrupting someone else when they "inject" a joke, pun, or any other attempt at humour. In many ways internet message boards work in styles and approaches very different from Real Life .

And that's a RP (real problem). People hiding behind anonymous names on the Internet feel they can do things they wouldn't do in RL (real life)... So there is good and bad...

> I do understand that if a number of people are seriously discussing something on a thread that interests them, and all of a sudden someone else posts a reference to Seinfeld, or anything else that is not immediately related to the thread topic, it can be disconcerting and maybe even annoying.

> Maybe it partly depends on how funny the joke is.

>

>

> But I also think that it is not at all difficult to simply pick up from where you left off. I've done both. I have definitely "interrupted" a thread with a joke ( but then of course, my jokes are always hilarious :| ); my intention is not to disrupt the conversation, but simply to have a little fun. And more often than not, it is connected in some way to the thread topic.

> But I've also had the experience of being pretty engaged in a "conversation" on a thread, only to have my "serious" post followed by a goofy photo or word-play or something. And actually, whether I mind or not does depend partly on how funny it is.

> Funny or not, I do not have a problem picking up and continuing with the discussion. All a person has to do is acknowledge the joke -or not, for that matter- and carry on.

>

I only wish we could all be as intelligent, beautiful and full of grace as you Miss Wonderly...

BUT, we ain't all you... Everybody is different and people don't all look at things the same way that you do. Or that I do... Or that any other user does... And everybody has a different sense of humour too. Best to be aware of that and maybe that would save a lot of trouble...

Maybe best to behave as if this is RL instead of some alternate universe where no rules apply, or only the rules a user wants to abide by apply...

Anyway, I'm not really on this message board anymore so I bid you all adieu... :)

misswonderly, We can all use a good laugh now & then, nothing wrong woth that..why take life soo serious?

_twinkee:) :) :x

Sadly, Hume died long before Yoo Hoo was produced, so

he could never enjoy a cold Yoo Hoo with a delicious Ring

Ding.

IDWTSTP.

0004126125248_300X300.jpg

RMeingast wrote:

"... Everybody is different and people don't all look at things the same way that you do. Or that I do... Or that any other user does... And everybody has a different sense of humour too. Best to be aware of that and maybe that would save a lot of trouble...

Maybe best to behave as if this is RL instead of some alternate universe where no rules apply, or only the rules a user wants to abide by apply..."

I feel that I do "follow the rules" here. I've never felt that "no rules apply"; and in any case, I've never seen any mention in the Code of Conduct about not making attempts at humour on "serious" threads.

The best rule to follow anywhere, anytime, is "The Golden Rule", which exists in every culture and every religion, it's only expressed in different language: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Of course "everybody is different". I would venture to say this is so in Real LIfe, on these boards, and on Mars, for that matter ( well, the population of that last kind of precludes any "difference" issues, I suppose.)

But we all have to "be ourselves", again, whether that's in Real Life, on these boards, or on Mars. As long as we can "be ourselves", and at the same time avoid hurting or offending others, "it's all good". Shirley it's not that difficult to be aware of others' feelings, even when posting a joke or an aside, unless one has some kind of personality disorder.

I used to have a friend who was so easily hurt and /or offended, I simply could not relax around her. I had to mentally edit everything I said before I said it. Now, we all need to do some internal editing, be it in Real LIfe conversation with a friend, or on these forums. But it got to a point where I was so busy monitoring my every remark that I couldn't have any fun with this friend anymore.

( We have since discussed this matter, and are on easier terms now. But that's another story...)

Shirley there should be a little leeway around here. Otherwise we'll all be tippy-toeing around, so delicately, so discreetly, not making any jokes unless they're approved first, not expressing any opinions that others might not like, that the forums will become so bland and boring that no one will want to participate on them anymore. Then all its problems would be solved, I guess.

If every person who reads and writes here had to check themselves before making a joke of some kind, the whole process of participating here would become a bit of a slog. Normal courtesy and sensitivity to not insulting others should be all it takes to interact in a polite yet relaxed manner on this website.

If I have to keep things all poe-faced all the time, except for a few threads where joking is allowed, all the fizz goes out of the pop. And who wants to drink flat pop?

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 13, 2012 3:27 PM

>mw wrote: Shirley there should be a little leeway around here. Otherwise we'll all be tippy-toeing around, so delicately, so discreetly, not making any jokes unless they're approved first, not expressing any opinions that others might not like, that the forums will become so bland and boring that no one will want to participate on them anymore. Then all its problems would be solved, I guess.

Don't call me Shirley... Call me Surely.

He-he

You say "Surely", I say "Shirley"...let's call the whole thing a loff.

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 13, 2012 4:14 PM

"loff" being a desperate attempt to rhyme with "off" and supposed to mean "laugh". But it's not very good, if I feel I have to explain it. I should have controlled myself from making such a wretched play on words. Desperate puns that are too much of a stretch even for their author - now that's offensive !

>

>

> The best rule to follow anywhere, anytime, is "The Golden Rule", which exists in every culture and every religion, it's only expressed in different language: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

>

Amen, sister! I don't disagree... (I thought I was supposed to be gone from here?)

No arguments from me...

> Shirley there should be a little leeway around here.

>

Who's Shirley? Anne Shirley, you mean? Nice girl. Real name was Dawn O'Day but she changed it after she played the title character in "Anne of Green Gables" (1934).

(See, that's my sense of humour. A bit eccentric and bizarre. Somebody else might think, "What is that buffoon going on about now?" - They probably think that anyway...)

>

> If I have to keep things all poe-faced all the time, except for a few threads where joking is allowed, all the fizz goes out of the pop. And who wants to drink flat pop?

>

Not me. I only drink A&W root beer. Never the no-name stuff...

Anyway, read about this example of Internet bad behaviour today that shows how badly people can be when using pseudonyms in VL (virtual life). I'm sure if using their real names in RL (real life) their behaviour would be better...

The issue that caused the uproar was having a guest named Michael Bryant on the news program.

You can find out yourselves who he is, if you wish, but I was struck by the description of the bad behaviour by people who complained.

The host of the news program says this:

"Let's acknowledge off the top that people who are angry about something tend to be more motivated to respond than those who are content. Let's also acknowledge that the vast majority of the complaints have come from people who are too chicken to put their names to those complaints, and tweet under pseudonyms. Such is life in the twitterverse."

The rest of his response to the bad Internet behaviour is here:

http://theagenda.tvo.org/blog/agenda-blogs/why-we-booked-michael-bryant-agenda

Just an example of how badly people can behave in VL.

IMHO, better if we all behaved on the message board as if in RL and the person/people was/were sitting in the room with us... Like TCMAdmin wrote elsewhere in thread...

Best wishes Miss W.... :)

Shh ...we'll get in trouble for derailing the thread.

There are a myriad, a plethora, legions, of songs about "Quitting" a beloved. It's a very old theme. Hey, I got to say "myriad" and "plethora" in one sentence.

Got to go. No train derailments here.

I self-edited some comments here as I was in bad humour when I wrote them...

I had a "Major Frank Burns" moment, if you will...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3o2-KYV_RZkrPt8zJK3w

Major Frank Burns reading the TCM Code of Conduct above...

Yes, saw "MASH" recently and TCM message board users do remind me of Frank Burns, Houlihan, Father Mulcahy, Radar, Trapper John, Hawkeye, and all the other characters in the movie...

Everybody is different... Some users like to be silly as Hawkeye and Trapper John...

Some are more serious, TCMAdmin is possibly like Henry Blake, others are a combination that changes at different times...

Whatever...

As for leaving, I'm not banned or under TCMAdmin control. I can come and go as I please and will occasionally drop in as I do tend to check the Canadian schedule.

Just not as much "commenting" as I have done recently...

No big deal...

Edited by: RMeingast on Sep 14, 2012 2:01 PM

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> That said, the question I have is, why are threads like this one and others, treated like open mic night at a comedy club by some in the midst of other posters having a serious conversation whether it's about the toxic environment here or about actors, directors, TCM or movies?

I believe an aspect of it is that they do not find a discussion as serious as others find it.

I must wonder how they would feel if a doctor told them: "Pathology confirmed that your flu is actually late-stage intestinal cancer. We must discuss the balance of chemotherapy and radiation in your treatment but first I am wondering if you heard about the duck who walked into a bar."

There is also a mentality which can not take as serious any issue which does not arise from them. This is shown most in people who makes jokes about death of celebrities. I am happy to say there are few here who are as bad as that.

> I feel that I do "follow the rules" here.

I am curious as to how you follow the rules. Is it that you ask a deliberate question of: "Does this post follow the rules?" before you submit it or is it that your nature is in accord with the rules so you would nearly never write a post which might violate the rules?

I believe a reasonable person will stay within the limits of reasonable rules even when they do not know them.

What are the "Limits of reasonable rules"? Like no swearing? or belittling a comment or the person who wrote it? What are the rules?

Otis-Rush-I-Cant-Quit-You-Baby-78-300x30

I Can't Quit You Baby was written by the great Willie Dixon and

originally recorded by Otis Rush. The Led boys were notorious for

ripping off old blues tunes, especially on their first couple of albums,

and not giving credit to the original songwriters. There were a number

of lawsuits to reestablish the proper songwriting credits. I'm not sure

about this particular song, because they did sometimes credit the

true songwriter.

Heartbreaker and Cocaine are two titles that are used frequently.

I'm sure there are a number of others too.

> {quote:title=Jezebelle wrote:}{quote}What are the "Limits of reasonable rules"? Like no swearing? or belittling a comment or the person who wrote it? What are the rules?

More importantly, what are the definitions of what may or may not be read or interpreted as belittling or otherwise negative commenting?